Poll: 1E or 2E?

If you had a yen for old school AD&D, would you rather run a game in 1E or 2E?

• I'd run 1E. Pure buttery Gygax goodness for me baby!

Votes: 126 51.2%
  • I'd run 2E. It made the 1E ugly duckling into a beautiful swan!

Votes: 83 33.7%
  • 1E and 2E is what they play in old folks' homes! Why bother?

Votes: 37 15.0%

Orius

Legend
Like so many others have said, just mix them. There aren't that many differences between the two, 2e just takes and revises a lot of stuff from 1e anyway.

Turanil

First Post
I would suggest 2e, to which you could add a few 1e features you like (such as half-orc race, assassin and monk classes, etc.)

Page

Explorer
Wow, I love this forum. So many truly helpful and enlightening responses and plenty of fun, well presented opinions to boot! :) I'm still deciding what I want to do, so please keep those responses coming in.

Oh, and apologies to all those who feel or felt left out of the poll because there was no "Other / OD&D" option for which to cast a vote. I realized my mistake almost immediately but had no way to rectify it. I appreciate the great responses that fans of 1E/2E mixtures and OD&D have left despite my oversight.

Right now, I think I'm leaning towards a predominately 2E campaign with 1E elements mixed in to the game, but I'm also intrigued by the idea of OD&D and C&C as well.

For that reason, I'll now add a "sub-question" to the thread: How do people feel about the Rules Cyclopedia? I have it but have never read it. Is that a good option to consider?

Delta

First Post
Rules Cyclopedia is definitely a high quality production and possibly one of the most solid, elegant, time-tested set of D&D rules ever.

For me I do like the flexibility of having separate races, classes, and multiclasses for some mix-and-match options, and lacking that RC feels kind of thin to me (for a long-term campaign).

Wik

First Post
Yeah, I'd got for BECMI over 1e or 2e, because I've always found it easier for me personally to fiddle with the rules of that particular system. Plus, when you have only a small choice of character roles, I found that character personalities came out stronger.

But, with the two questions, I'm with 2e, minus the kits. Mostly because 2e had DARK SUN, and if I'm playing 2e, it's in Athas baby!

Mark Hope

Adventurer
Page said:
For that reason, I'll now add a "sub-question" to the thread: How do people feel about the Rules Cyclopedia? I have it but have never read it. Is that a good option to consider?
I was singing the praises of the RC just yesterday evening. It's an excellent ruleset, a virtually complete game system that allows for a broad spread of options and styles. It is designed for play throughout all 36 levels (many of the thief abilities, for example, don't reach their upper levels until well past 20th level, and saving throws are similarly scaled to top out at the upper levels). So for games that are likely to run only until the low to mid teens, you'd be better served by the older Moldvay/Cook Basic and Expert sets (which were designed for levels 1-14). With that in mind, however, you can't really go wrong with the RC. If I were stranded on a desert island and only allowed to bring one RPG book with me, I'd bring this one.

Agamon

Adventurer
Mark Hope said:
I was singing the praises of the RC just yesterday evening. It's an excellent ruleset, a virtually complete game system that allows for a broad spread of options and styles. It is designed for play throughout all 36 levels (many of the thief abilities, for example, don't reach their upper levels until well past 20th level, and saving throws are similarly scaled to top out at the upper levels). So for games that are likely to run only until the low to mid teens, you'd be better served by the older Moldvay/Cook Basic and Expert sets (which were designed for levels 1-14). With that in mind, however, you can't really go wrong with the RC. If I were stranded on a desert island and only allowed to bring one RPG book with me, I'd bring this one.

I loves me some RC. If 4e wasn't my cup'o'tea, I was planning on making my new setting RC. Great book.

Remove ads