• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Poll: 1E or 2E?

If you had a yen for old school AD&D, would you rather run a game in 1E or 2E?

• I'd run 1E. Pure buttery Gygax goodness for me baby!

Votes: 126 51.2%
  • I'd run 2E. It made the 1E ugly duckling into a beautiful swan!

Votes: 83 33.7%
  • 1E and 2E is what they play in old folks' homes! Why bother?

Votes: 37 15.0%

Jhaelen

First Post
I generally preferred 1E to 2E but the Monster Manuals in 2E were kind of neat. They've got tons of fluff for every monster which continues to be useful - even (or is that especially?) if you're switching to 4E.

pr1

First Post
I started with 2e, played 3e for awhile, and picked up the 1e books for a change of pace. Philosophically, 1e is better, because 2e was a rip just to keep the original writers out of the royalties and corresponded with some horrible business interest taking over the company to screw gamers and make mega bucks (which, or course, never materialized). The source books for 2e are... really bad. Late 2e is kind of shadow 3e, with no elegance, like Skills & Powers. That book sucks really bad in my opinion ("bane of my existence" in high school, actually), as well.

2e fixes some things, but you can always get non-weapon proficiencies from Wilderness and Dungeoneers' Survival Guides. Combat in 1st edition is nearly impossible to decipher because of some contradictory statements, but if you look on Dragonsfoot forums, you can find some ok answers around the contradictions. If you actually get it right, I think what 1e combat is supposed to be is a little better.

One more thing, 1e rulebooks are not arranged so well. But they're fun to read!

pr1

First Post
rounser said:
2E does the best campaign settings.

No way! I respectfully disagree; I think 2e over-laden Forgotten Realms with high-powered NPCs (a trend continued to this day, it semes). The settings most identified with it -- Dark Sun, Spell Jammer, the Sims "lets-go-on-adventure-dates-with-Drizzt-and-Elminster" version of Forgotten Realms -- impose the setting too much on the party and limit an agile game.

Obryn

Hero
I've run D&D for decades. I'd say that 1e really captures my sense of wonder, but 2e was a better rule set.

However, were I to run old school, I'd be tempted to run RC.

-O

rounser

First Post
No way! I respectfully disagree; I think 2e over-laden Forgotten Realms with high-powered NPCs (a trend continued to this day, it semes). The settings most identified with it -- Dark Sun, Spell Jammer, the Sims "lets-go-on-adventure-dates-with-Drizzt-and-Elminster" version of Forgotten Realms -- impose the setting too much on the party and limit an agile game.
It has the cream of the crop: Al Qadim, Birthright, Ravenloft, Dark Sun, Planescape.

2E wins gold, silver and bronze in this department, IMO.

Last edited:

RFisher

Explorer
The companion poll would be: If you needed inspiration no matter what system you planned to play, which edition would you look to? (^_^)

For me, that’d be a completely different answer.

Remove ads