• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Poll: 1E or 2E?

If you had a yen for old school AD&D, would you rather run a game in 1E or 2E?

• I'd run 1E. Pure buttery Gygax goodness for me baby!

Votes: 126 51.2%
  • I'd run 2E. It made the 1E ugly duckling into a beautiful swan!

Votes: 83 33.7%
  • 1E and 2E is what they play in old folks' homes! Why bother?

Votes: 37 15.0%

I'd choose OD&D, obviously (since that's what I do).
Sticking strictly to the poll, I'd choose 1E.

Here's my (current) hierarchy of choices:
OD&D
Holmes Basic + Holmes Companion
AD&D (1e)
B/X
AD&D (2e)
BECM
3.X
4.X

The Rules Cyclopedia is a nice collection of the BECM rules, but has abysmal interior art. There's not a lot of rules difference between the Mentzer and Moldvay/Cook/Marsh versions of Classic D&D, but my pick is the Moldvay/Cook/Marsh (B/X) version; it covers the level range I like, avoids grafting on stuff like Weapons Mastery, and I prefer the organization and look-and-feel of B/X. If you're considering the Rules Cyclopedia, you might also take a hard look at Labyrinth Lord (you can download a free PDF, but the hardcover version is very nice).

Which edition for inspiration is definitely 1E. OD&D is a close second, but nothing gives me the same feel as reading the original AD&D books with their Gygaxian prose and evocative art. I prefer OD&D for its rules, but I prefer 1E, as far as nostalgia and inspiration go. Heck, even the smell of those old books can take me back.

Serendipity

Explorer
It's funny - I get a craving for 1e, I get a craving for OD&D, and even though some of my longest most successful games were 2e, I just don't.....feel any need to go back.
Weird.

Imp

First Post
I'd probably give 2e a whirl, just because I skipped that edition. Wouldn't do anything with kits or a lot of the later splats though.

RabidBob

First Post
Neither 1E or 2E was at all playable; too much arbitrary rubbish in both. If I *HAD* to go back to a 70ies or 80ies game system I'd probably go to Runequest and very heavily house rule it; I'd more likely make a system of my own cobbling together bits from Runequest, Rolemaster and D&D.

Love or hate new editions game mechanics have come a long way in 30 years.

Steely Dan

Banned
Banned
Funnily enough, 4th Ed has given me a hankering to run a 1st/2nd Ed campaign alongside my 4th Ed.

The rules were very similar between 1st and 2nd Ed, so I think I would use 2nd Ed rules (can't/don't want to handle segments anymore), but, as we all know, 1st had the vibe.

Korgoth

First Post
I'd choose OD&D, obviously (since that's what I do).
Sticking strictly to the poll, I'd choose 1E.

Here's my (current) hierarchy of choices:
OD&D
Holmes Basic + Holmes Companion
AD&D (1e)
B/X
AD&D (2e)
BECM
3.X
4.X

I am going to steal Philotomy's idea and provide my hierarchy of D&D choices as well:

OD&D
B/X
AD&D 1E
BECM/RC
AD&D 2E
Holmes
4E
3E

I actually prefer Mentzer/RC to 1E but there are so many cool 1E modules that I could just open and run that 1E edges it out. 2E is bolstered by the existence of Dark Sun. 3E and 4E are on the list just because I'm feeling nice for the moment... I certainly wouldn't GM them, except maybe to run KoTS as a self-contained one-shot.

But overall... OD&D and the top tier (Classic and 1E) by a mile over the bottom tier.

Starfox

Hero
2E was the worst of the lot. 1E was better, 3E was much better, and the jury s still out on 4E.

Since this was a contest between 1E and 2E, I voted for 1E. But I'm not playing either anymore. I do look back more fondly on 1E, however.

Remove ads