• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Poll: Character Development

How do you like character development done?

• After I pick a basic archetype, I rather few choices in levelling .

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • I like many choices in character creation, but afterwards I want few choices in levelling up.

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • I want as many choices as possible throughout creation and progression.

Votes: 23 82.1%

Zaran

Adventurer
I am curious about how Enworlder's like to do the characters. I'm trying to make this non-game specific as a poll but you can list your favorite game that fits best for your answer.

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
Oh, what has happened to the good old "Other" option in polls? :p

My ideal model of character development is starting out with not too detailed character generation and adding more options to the established prototype when leveling. So give me a hand full of meaningful options when leveling - I don't need gazillions of empty options.

Zaran

Adventurer
Here are some examples of games for each category.

1) Essentials - Martial Classes or Vampire Class/3.5 Classes

2) Gurps/ West End Star Wars - Usually character creation is complicated (Gurps especially) but once you have the character, skills are about all that changes.

3) 4e Core Classes - Almost every level gives you a choice of powers or feats.

Dice4Hire

First Post
I really do not think essentials or 3.x are category one games. Both still have a lot of choices, including feats, skill choices and the like.

Well, maybe the vampire qualifies.

Not sure what kind of game is part one, but it is out there, I am sure.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
I tell my players, "If you can speak it, write it, draw it, or sculpt it - to a point where I can understand it - it's in the game."

It takes more or less communicating after their initial design, but eventually we reach enough of a shared coherence for play.

That said, the game is designed around class advancement rather than character progression, but those are really just different perspectives on human behavior.

DragonLancer

Adventurer
Oh, what has happened to the good old "Other" option in polls? :p

My ideal model of character development is starting out with not too detailed character generation and adding more options to the established prototype when leveling. So give me a hand full of meaningful options when leveling - I don't need gazillions of empty options.

I'm of the same opinion, which sadly doesn't fit any of the three poll options.

Remove ads