[Poll] DMs- How much do you stick to the rules?

How often do you follow the rules? (as opposed to winging it)

• The rules are god, there is naught but the rules

Votes: 13 12.9%
  • More often than not

Votes: 75 74.3%
  • Less often than not

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Rules? What are these "rules" things you speak of?

Votes: 8 7.9%

Mr. Draco

First Post
I've recently found myself DMing what I hope to be a long-term campaign (a first for me), and I've noticed that I tend to wing things more and more (i.e.- going more by what I feel would be right, rather than strictly following each rule in the book). What about all the rest of you? How do you feel this has affected your games? (for the better? worse? why?)

Lela

First Post
I've found that, in the beginning, you start out mostly winging it; relying on the players to know what their characters can do and going with the flow when no one does.

More and more rules eventually come to you. Whether it be by making up NPCs and running across something or simply reading through one of the books. Eventually you know more than you think you do.

Also, don't be afraid to go looking. Obviously not all the time but sometimes it's needed or it helps get people back on track. For me, the best way to fi is to point to a distracted player and tell him to "Look up X." Often that's grappling or bull rushing--examples of rules I can never keep track of. Sometimes, when I know something's coming, I'll pass a note telling someone to look it up.*

Your players are learning the rules too. They won't mind doing some research. As long as it doesn't interupt the flow of the game that is.

*Images of a bull rush performed by a minitour slaming into a centaur--who just happens to be leading the rest of the party up a flight of stairs. I managed knocking him down stairs twice (in two sessions) and now he refuses to even go up them (though he might jump them)--even when there's no combat involved.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I tend to wing it a lot not due to lack of familiarity with rules but due to reliance on - thats common sense or this is gonna be cool (plus a touch of laziness I admit:D)

I find that outside of combat rules can be forgotten 9 times out of 10 and even in combat things should be done for the wow factor even if not allowed by the rules (and most AoO come down to common sense once you ignore whats written - you pause and grab a potion from your pouch - the ogre thumps you in the head...

Destil

Explorer
I like to insert custom things, spells especially, to keep everything from being too bland. That aside I run fairly close to the core rules, with some minor adjustments to psionics. Anything added beyond the core system, though, I tend to interprate and modify as I see fit.

francisca

I got dice older than you.
I try to fall in the "more often than not", but someone who started in OD&D and 1E, then didn't play for about 15 years until 3E came out, as DM some old habits die hard.

in particular, making sure a NPC uses their feats properly was a problem early on for me. Like most things, I've gotten better with experience.

Bendris Noulg

First Post
Destil said:
I like to insert custom things, spells especially, to keep everything from being too bland. That aside I run fairly close to the core rules, with some minor adjustments to psionics. Anything added beyond the core system, though, I tend to interprate and modify as I see fit.
This brings up an interesting question... For instance, I tend to be a very rules-oriented, but then I've rewritten many of the rules to function as "I feel would be right." So for Mr. Draco: How do House Rules fall into this equation?

SylverFlame

First Post
I went with option 4. From years of DMing experience (never try to teach a five year old about THAC0, my older brother still won't play D&D with me :D ) I have learned that the rules are there for quidelines. If the rules get in the way of fun/story/roleplaying/the pizza, or anything else, the rules lose. Besides, I like a loose game where people are allowed to try even idiot things.

BARBARIAN: I'm going to jump the gorge.
DM: It's 200ft to the otherside...
BARBARBIAN: When I hit ground at least you won't have to dig a hole...

What do you do? Well, aside from let him go squishie.

However, on the other note, the rules do have a purpose. Combat would be hell if you just rolled whatever die you grabbed first. As such, some times rules are good. I just like the way they work in my head more than I like how they do in the book. :p

BTW, even though I'm no longer a five-year old, I still go with what I think works. And, I've been accused of being a rules lawyer. Hey, interpretation is more fun when you know it all. :cool:

Lela

First Post
SylverFlame said:

BARBARIAN: I'm going to jump the gorge.
DM: It's 200ft to the otherside...
BARBARBIAN: When I hit ground at least you won't have to dig a hole...

The Simpsons. Your Bart, the BBN is Homer.

The Darwin Awards come to mind as well.

Last edited:

SylverFlame

First Post
OT to Lela

Thanks Lela, I was wondering where that came from... The barbarian never tried to jump a gorge, though he did try to throw the halfling... That was a fun day. :D The party tried to kill each other and I didn't even have to set it up!

Last edited:

Remove ads