D&D General [Poll] How do you prefer psionics to work?

What is your preferred approach to psionics?

• Point based (similar to spell points). Powers based on levels like spells are

Votes: 17 18.3%
  • Point based. Powers are not broken down into levels, but spell point investment power effects

Votes: 42 45.2%
  • Inherent skills to be used more often, but you only get fewer of them in total, recovery is per hour

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Inherent powers, fewer in total, and cast them like Vancian magic (per day)

Votes: 13 14.0%
  • Exhaustion based. Many powers don't raise exhaustion, but more powerful ones do

Votes: 9 9.7%
  • Specialize at 1st level, those options grow as you level but you don't get more choices

Votes: 6 6.5%

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Not entirely true. I labeled this thread "general" because I wanted to talk about every edition, and perhaps look at best practices from each. Also, some of the ideas I'm tossing around aren't 5e specific, but more generic in scope, so it can be modified/adjusted relatively easy depending on what edition you want to apply them to.

for example, here's where I'm at based on the comments above. I went from 6 down to 3 disciplines instead. Forgive the several image attachments, but I find it's easier to get the idea from looking how it would look from a book, rather than tables and walls of text in a forum post. Just breaking it up into white space is easier on the eyes. Also this is just two powers from each, just to give you a rough idea (and as always, it's just a rough idea, the actual power affect could change)

View attachment 135433

View attachment 135434

View attachment 135435

View attachment 135436
View attachment 135437
powers are too at the mercy of play interaction and dm's allowance.

too many gaps for the level up.

needs more subclasses.

I like it mostly it is nice.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Something like Spell Points or Ki as the 'fuel', a primary specialization you are good at plus a minor dip into a second field.

Some spells (Move Heavy Object, Fear!) come off the Magic-Users' spell lists, so the Psions have a place to work.

why takes the warlocks thing?

When making a new class, looking at the classes already provided as a basis isn't "taking their thing" in my opinion. We don't consider paladins taking anything from clerics or fighters, right? Despite resembling these other classes, paladins have a thematic niche. That niche informs the ways that it differs from it's parent classes.

Looking back at the 2nd edition psionicist, one of the things most people latch onto is the concept of PSP's- and while it was unique, I think the greater takeaway was (like stated in the poll) that you recovered them hourly. In 5th edition, this is the short rest. PSP's are just extra baggage.

I don't see psionicists has having a huge variety of powers, so basing the class on something like a wizard or cleric doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I see them as having a handful of useful tricks that continue to be useful as they continue their career.

The warlock is in a similar boat- not a huge variety of powers at their disposal, but what IS there serves as their bread and butter. Which makes it an ideal candidate for basing the psionicist off of it.

As a bonus, we could even use the rules in the PHB for multiclassing warlocks for multiclassing psionicists.

Mind of tempest

When making a new class, looking at the classes already provided as a basis isn't "taking their thing" in my opinion. We don't consider paladins taking anything from clerics or fighters, right? Despite resembling these other classes, paladins have a thematic niche. That niche informs the ways that it differs from it's parent classes.

Looking back at the 2nd edition psionicist, one of the things most people latch onto is the concept of PSP's- and while it was unique, I think the greater takeaway was (like stated in the poll) that you recovered them hourly. In 5th edition, this is the short rest. PSP's are just extra baggage.

I don't see psionicists has having a huge variety of powers, so basing the class on something like a wizard or cleric doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I see them as having a handful of useful tricks that continue to be useful as they continue their career.

The warlock is in a similar boat- not a huge variety of powers at their disposal, but what IS there serves as their bread and butter. Which makes it an ideal candidate for basing the psionicist off of it.

As a bonus, we could even use the rules in the PHB for multiclassing warlocks for multiclassing psionicists.
if the classes are too similar one tends to sort of surpass the other like wizard and sorcerer, plus I do not see your conclusions of the limited amount of powers, you can make lots of complex spells from simple bases.

if the classes are too similar one tends to sort of surpass the other like wizard and sorcerer,
A psionicist is going to be some kind of caster. It will resemble one class or another. There is no helping that.

plus I do not see your conclusions of the limited amount of powers,
Conclusions? This isn't a mathematical proof. This is just my vision of how one would construct a psionicist class. There isn't any point to arguing taste. If you have different ideas, great. Don't let me stop you.

you can make lots of complex spells from simple bases.

Sounds like a lot of work. I've seen a lot of homebrew classes, but I don't think I have ever seen one that came with 5 pages of spells unique to that class. Just sayin.

If I wanted Psionics, which I do not, I would use the Warlock mechanics.

Honestly, while I like the Warlock, it doesn't have any special claim to the nifty mechanics it uses. I would like to see more classes use that system, even Paladins and Rangers (getting different abilities than Arcane Mysteries, etc).

Mind of tempest

A psionicist is going to be some kind of caster. It will resemble one class or another. There is no helping that.

Conclusions? This isn't a mathematical proof. This is just my vision of how one would construct a psionicist class. There isn't any point to arguing taste. If you have different ideas, great. Don't let me stop you.

Sounds like a lot of work. I've seen a lot of homebrew classes, but I don't think I have ever seen one that came with 5 pages of spells unique to that class. Just sayin.
If I wanted Psionics, which I do not, I would use the Warlock mechanics.

Honestly, while I like the Warlock, it doesn't have any special claim to the nifty mechanics it uses. I would like to see more classes use that system, even Paladins and Rangers (getting different abilities than Arcane Mysteries, etc).
look my point is that if another class used the same mechanical gimmick as the warlock then the warlock class would lose a lot of its apple and I see no reason to do that at present.

You're right in that it would end up similar to other casters no matter what but it is a question of which ones can take the competition and survive well?

Remove ads