D&D General [Poll] How do you prefer psionics to work?

What is your preferred approach to psionics?

• Point based (similar to spell points). Powers based on levels like spells are

Votes: 17 18.3%
  • Point based. Powers are not broken down into levels, but spell point investment power effects

Votes: 42 45.2%
  • Inherent skills to be used more often, but you only get fewer of them in total, recovery is per hour

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Inherent powers, fewer in total, and cast them like Vancian magic (per day)

Votes: 13 14.0%
  • Exhaustion based. Many powers don't raise exhaustion, but more powerful ones do

Votes: 9 9.7%
  • Specialize at 1st level, those options grow as you level but you don't get more choices

Votes: 6 6.5%

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
I want a combination of a small selection of powers that grow with power and versatility and a warlock invocation-like system of utility daily use or always-on abilities. More Professor X or Magneto than Dr' Strange or Dr. Fate.
I have been putzing around trying to put a psionic system together. I wanted something different mechanically from the wizard and sorcerer. The problem is there would be a lot of reinventing the wheel for a similar outcome. I haven't figured out the generalist psion. Something that would be reminiscent of 2E or 3E psions.
Take an At-Will ability, like a cantrip, say Mind Sliver as a base. The Psion, upon reaching 2nd level can choose an "Invocation" that modifies the base ability, like Agonizing Blast, add your ability modifier to Mind Sliver or any of the movement shenanigans on a hit. At higher levels, you can add things to the base spell. Maybe at 5th level you can add a Stun to the attack. At 9th you select an 'Invocation' to turn it into a 60' cone. You can layer these effects too. So a Stunning 60' cone of Mind Sliver. There would be a limit to how many times you can pump out these mega at-wills. Perhaps incorporate the Psychic die mechanic or a version of Battlemaster maneuver dice. You can also have 'Invocations' that add spell-like abilities or even spells. The Psion would be narrowly focused, but with incredible control over their Discipline. A Telepath would be a master of breaking down an opponent's will and even rewriting memories and personalities. The Telekinetic would make Magneto blush.

Point based, with levels as the spells. I would esignate different types, sciences(you needs a long rest), devotions(short rest), psionic maneuvers (like in the 3.5 Tome of Battle), and actions (spending psionic focus).

If the wilder returns as a subclass, I advice the penalty for the psychic enervation is to be dazed by a turn. It is a simple rule and a metagame risk a player dares to take.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
I wanted point-based, my question is what can we have for subclasses? please do not make it super thematically similar to xmen that eats what little the sorcerer has these days.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I saw the math behind running out of dice and you're right, it won't run out quickly and it seemed fine balance wise. My issue with it is the ability to push my psionics to the limit or conserve energy for later was not actually my choice. I'd prefer to let the psion choose to max their die roll at the cost of lowering the die size. It makes it the psion's choice. Then let the die size refresh by using an action, or short rest, or whatever is balanced.

Now, if there was a chaos/wild psion subclass that mechanic would fit right in.
Yes, but the dice WERE for the subclasses. ;) There was no psion class in that UA. I wouldn't want a full class based on the die. It could be used a bit to give it flavor, but a full caster psionic class(psion/mystic) would need a different mechanic, such as spell points or whatever.

Mind of tempest

It's got 4, and there's 3 more in the Expanded Toolbox, which should be present in the Kickstarter book. Anywhere between 4-7 seems like plenty to me.
look I like customisation but the subtypes are too generic and the wide customisation is so large that it ends in multi-choice breakdown.
needs to be less warlocky as it does not need that and it would be too unwieldy for most player without an hour-long youtube tutorial.
it is less focused that the mystic and that class lacked concrete direction.

is super nice if I am honest.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
look I like customisation but the subtypes are too generic and the wide customisation is so large that it ends in multi-choice breakdown.
needs to be less warlocky as it does not need that and it would be too unwieldy for most player without an hour-long youtube tutorial.
it is less focused that the mystic and that class lacked concrete direction.

is super nice if I am honest.
Sure. I don't agree with some of those critiques, but I don't want to derail the thread anymore than I already did.

Mind of tempest

Sure. I don't agree with some of those critiques, but I don't want to derail the thread anymore than I already did.
look it looks like most people agree with points but past that no outline on what to do with the psion.
it thus seems the only place left is to start figuring out what we want to cast and how to organise the whole thing.

Remove ads