D&D (2024) Poll: How many species should OneD&D include in its PHB?

How many species should OneD&D include in its PHB?

• 1-4

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • 5-6

Votes: 6 10.5%
  • 7-8

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • 9-10

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • 10-12

Votes: 16 28.1%
  • 13-15

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • 15+

Votes: 5 8.8%

Yaarel

He Mage
An elf embargo would be nice.
Elf remains extraordinarily popular, even among younger new players.

That said, I would be happy if the 2024 Players Handbook only offers the Human species, for a vanilla magical medievalesque default setting.

Put the other core species in the DMs Guide as part of Worldbuilding.

Each official Setting Guide can feature whichever species make sense for it.

I think there should be as many species as there are classes in the PHB, so 12 species for 12 classes. It might make an interesting showcase showing all 12 classes in one picture, each one being of a different species. They could go with expected combinations like Orc Barbarian, Tiefling Warlock, Halfling Rogue and Dwarf Fighter, or go with less expected combinations like Orc Wizard, Tiefling Paladin, Halfling Barbarian and Dwarf Bard.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Elf remains extraordinarily popular, even among younger new players.

That said, I would be happy if the 2024 Players Handbook only offers the Human species, for a vanilla magical medievalesque default setting.

Put the other core species in the DMs Guide as part of Worldbuilding.

Each official Setting Guide can feature whichever species make sense for it.

They will never do this.

But they should.

I think that humans should be the sole "default" race, and that all other races should be added per campaign setting. All races are, and can be, cool, but it would be great to actually make distinct settings that are different, as opposed to making most setting simply be the same exact default D&D species over and over again.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
I'd be down for the following list:

What we know we're getting:
Human
Elf
Dwarf
Halfling
Gnome
Orc
Dragonborn
Tiefling
Goliath

What should also be there:
Genasi
Goblin
Tabaxi
Firbolg
Aarakocra
Warforged

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Just as the question reads. And for the sake of simpleness, we are talking about a PHB, so let's assume they do create some side rule about half-species and different sub-species. So no lightfoot or stout halflings or high, wood, or drow elves. Let's pretend they are one species. How many do you want in the new PHB?
Every species past and present that ever was. ;)

More seriously, I'd really like to see some non-Western inspired species so that D&D can cover more cultural ground straight out of the box.

Vael

Legend
I like my DnD to have that Mos Eisley cantina vibe, so my preference is always the more species options the better. But I also just don't want them all crammed in without good story and art.

Gorck

Prince of Dorkness
Rock Gnome
Forest Gnome
Deep Gnome
Scribe Gnome
Arcane Gnome
Shadow Gnome
Chaos Gnome
River Gnome
Wavecrest Gnome
Ice Gnome
Sky Gnome
Fire Gnome
Human (for people that like playing medium characters)
No Beach Gnome? Lily Dumblestuck will be singing a song of lament over the omission.

Remove ads