POLL: Is how you Roleplay influenced by your character’s mental stats?

Is how you roleplay influenced by your character’s mental stats?

JohnSnow

Hero
Prompted by another thread, I thought it would be interesting to take the temperature of the community on this one. Because I’m willing to bet there’s variation.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
I voted for your fourth option because I prefer the decisions I make for my character (my roleplaying) to be an input to the fiction which comes before any mechanical resolution. If I'm being strategic about it and the situation allows for it, I might avoid stating actions that would rely on my weaker scores, in case a check is called for.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Not as often as they should be. My characters tend to try to outsmart and, when that fails, out-talk the enemies, whenever they can, even when their INT and CHA stats aren't what they should be.

I'm working on it, though, whenever I get a break from Forever DM.

JohnSnow

Hero
As a point of interest, my fiancée, who didn’t vote in this poll, said that she tends to play characters much like herself, and finds it hard to do otherwise, so she specifically makes sure her character’s mental stats (at least nominally) reflect that.

In other words, since she’s pretty smart herself, she refuses to put a low score in a character’s INT stat, because “it feels like cheating.”

Remove ads