D&D 5E [Poll] What is. The best saving throw proficency?

Quickleaf

Legend
It depends on whether "best" is judged as (1) "most frequently made & impactful because of its frequency" OR (2) "most likely to seriously screw you & possibly your party if you fail."

I voted Constitution, for the first reason. Dexterity is a close second if you run a lot of spellcasting enemies.

If you're going with the second reason, it'd be Wisdom.

Godric108

Villager
HI. Thought I'd give my reply as I'm in a full swing 5e campaign right now. It's 1: Constitution. 2: Dexterity and 3: Wisdom. In that order.
Constitution is the obvious one for 3 reasons. More hit points per level, saving throws vs poison and other effects and also spell concentration. Constitution is best especially if you are a caster that plans on casting any concentration spells, right?

Now, dexterity you might think is best over con. You get higher AC and better Dex saves. Dex saves are common. Although Getting hit less, dodging traps , burning hands and fireballs seems pretty great. But. It's the con saves that screwed you if you miss: poisoned condition, petrified and stunned.

Of course Wisdom is a close 3rd. Charm person, Polymorph and fear are real dangers. All things need to be considered. Below is a chart I borrowed from another player. It shows the total spells and conditions for each save. Enjoy.

EffectStrDexConIntWisChaMinor ConditionsMajor ConditionsMinor StatusMajor Status
Total1041922241812219CharmedIncapacitatedForced movementBanished
Damage1412891791BlindedParalyzedNo reactionsCurse
Minor Condition6447380540DeafenedPetrifiedPenalty to rollsConfused
Major Condition12433150RestrainedStunnedMovedInsane
Minor Status191091136GrappledUnconsciousRemove minor conditionDominated
Major Status653672912ProneMinor compellingStats reduced
PoisonedMind readingMind control
"By 5 or more"72FrightenedGrant advantage
Disadvantage

Stalker0

Legend
Con followed by Wisdom.

The problem with the "saves by monsters" results people do is that is assumes partys face 1 of each monster over time. That is often very campaign dependent, some monsters they may fight over and over and others they may never see in a campaign....so that analysis is a bit faulty.

Zardnaar

Legend
Con saves. Poison, necrotic and espicially concentration.

Wisdom maybe for warrior types. Managed to paralyze 4/5 including the cleric and Sorcerer/Cleric.

ECMO3

Hero
Why do people have Constitution so high?

I think Wisdom is the most common save or suck, Dexterity is the most common save or take high damage. I could see either of these being first, don't see Constitution as important though.

Intelligence is not often used but when it is it is usually very bad to fail.

ECMO3

Hero
HI. Thought I'd give my reply as I'm in a full swing 5e campaign right now. It's 1: Constitution. 2: Dexterity and 3: Wisdom. In that order.
Constitution is the obvious one for 3 reasons. More hit points per level, saving throws vs poison and other effects and also spell concentration. Constitution is best especially if you are a caster that plans on casting any concentration spells, right?
Constitution save proficiency does not give you more hit points. To me poision is not that compelling because most poisonings require an attack roll first, making it less likely to need the save as compared to dex or wisdom where the save is the only thing stopping it. I do get the argument for concentration.

Remove ads