• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Polymorph Shenanigans

Riley37

First Post
Under the full moon, a werewolf transforms.

Then you secretly transform their wolf form into a wolf; and you extend the duration.

When the moon phase changes, they wait to revert to human... but they're still a wolf. Psyche!

This also works on druids who Wild Shape. When they try to end the Wild Shape, and can't escape their dire wolf form (or whatever), it's pitiful but kinda hilarious.

Alternatively, you Subtle Spell them at JUST the moment their Wild Shape ends, so as they're reverting from bear form back into a human, you poly them into a bear cub. The most confused, distressed bear cub ever.

With True Polymorph, when a doppelganger shapeshifts into a human, you can secretly polymorph them into that human. When they corner their target and are about to do the demoralizing reveal:
"For the last three days, you thought I was your wife! Hah, behold my true form!
(nothing happens)
Hunh? THIS CANNOT BE!"

A priceless moment!

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Given that it's a save-or-suck kind of ability, I've been thinking more about uses on allies and myself (willing targets) then on enemies...though maybe enemies without a decent Wis....(unless anyone has a good DC-increasing / save decreasing combo?)

famousringo

First Post
Given that it's a save-or-suck kind of ability, I've been thinking more about uses on allies and myself (willing targets) then on enemies...though maybe enemies without a decent Wis....(unless anyone has a good DC-increasing / save decreasing combo?)
You said you were a wild sorcerer, so the combo is called Heighten Spell and Bend Luck. Five sorcery points is expensive, but if you really want it to happen...

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
You said you were a wild sorcerer, so the combo is called Heighten Spell and Bend Luck. Five sorcery points is expensive, but if you really want it to happen...

Ah! Heightened Spell was the thing I was missing (took subtle and quickened before I knew I'd be forcing so many saving throws). Time to see if I can swap out quickened for heightened (subtle has been surprisingly useful and special; quickened...not so much)!

famousringo

First Post
Ah! Heightened Spell was the thing I was missing (took subtle and quickened before I knew I'd be forcing so many saving throws). Time to see if I can swap out quickened for heightened (subtle has been surprisingly useful and special; quickened...not so much)!
The strict limit on non-cantrip spells takes a lot of wind out of Quicken's sails. It really opens up once you have access to high level spells like Telekinesis and Sunbeam which you can activate with your action, then use quicken to sling off an instantaneous spell. Probably better as a level 10 pick.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads