PoPP - Mustapha bin-Hanif (01)

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
You're lantern light illuminates the fog around you, and is answered by another glow of light just to the west - this one flickering unsteadily.

I've got Lerissa's action - you're up!

grufflehead

First Post
Don't you just hate it when you realise that 1 different spell choice or 1 bit of equipment would make all the difference? Oh well, perhaps a bit of improvisation might work...

I have a bag of alchemical bits and pieces for making my various concoctions. I wonder if some cunning combination of ingredients might help me throw some more light on the situation (seeing as I didn't learn Light or think to take torches with me...). According to the book a pint of oil burns for 6 hours (wow!) and there are even rules for pouring it onto the ground and lighting it. What I'd like to try is to decant out some of the oil into the flasks I have, and see if I can mix something with it that means it will burn away on its own like a glow stick. Even if it illuminates a relatively small area, if I fill the 5 flasks and leave enough in the lantern for a 1 hour burn, then I could leave the 'lit' flasks on the ground every 5 - 10 feet so they mark out a trail.

Craft (Alchemy) check: 1d20+8=21

If you think that's feasible, then as long as we're not talking a long time to do it, then I'll spend the time filling the flasks and mixing the ingredients. If not, then I'll just have to crack on so move to N14 then N15 and see what I can see (if anything).

Either way I'll keep going with the tale as well...

'The fellow came to our tent, and after we had shared the bond of salt, he settled down on the divan my master had ordered brought in for him, and told us the sorry tale of a great prince from a far off kingdom, who had been forced to resort to begging for food. When my master enquired how one of of such high birth could be laid so low, the barber described the unfortunate circumstances behind the prince's demise...'

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Sounds very reasonable, and an excellent use of alchemy skills. In the interest of moving things along I'll say you can use this round to prepare the solution. One 'pot' will illuminate a 10' square in this fog (15' in 'normal' darkness), so one per square will leave an easily followable trail.

Once you get the solution prepared you can fill and place two pots as a move action, allowing you to move 20' and leave each 10' covered with light (you could move your full 30' but you'd be getting ahead of your ability to leave the trail).

Do note that this will not extend the radius of your vision - if the problem were simply one of illumination Lerissa and Abraxis would be fine due to their darkvision.

grufflehead

First Post
Very generous, thank you. Consider that my action for this round then, and I'll do the 'prepare and move' combo you suggest in following rounds, heading on the route I proposed.

[OC]Rhun seems to be taking his time getting us into the ToEE game!

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
That flickering glow to the West grows brighter and illuminates the massive form of Leaf coming to you through the grain. The torch in his hand does no more to dispel the fog than your alchemical mixtures, but somehow the warm glow of real fire bolsters you spirit.

"I wish you wouldn't use words like demise just right about now."

Attachments

• Granary - Mustapha.jpg
    Granary - Mustapha.jpg
    612.4 KB · Views: 70

grufflehead

First Post
Mustapha smiles at the big man's remark and whispers 'surely you know by now that some tales are less clear cut than they might seem?'.

[OC]Now I've got my mixture ready, I'll 5' step to N14 and put a pot down there. If I've still got movement left, I'll go to N15.

'...it appears that the prince had two great weaknesses: fine horses and beautiful women. He had spent many years buying the finest mounts from the surrounding territories, and had a harem that was the envy of noblemen throughout the known lands...'.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
You take a step to the northeast and place your curious little pot carefully and without incident. However, as you take your second step you hear - or rather don't hear - your voice fall silent. In fact, you see the horrific visage appear just to your east at the same time as you recognize that suddenly all sound has stopped.

The skeletal figure stops what he's doing - pouring something into the pile of grain at his feet - and stands to confront you, brandishing an ancient rusted sickle.

You've got the drop on him, but not surprise.

Attachments

• Granary - Mustapha.jpg
    Granary - Mustapha.jpg
    616.1 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

Remove ads