PoPP - Mustapha bin-Hanif (01)

grufflehead

First Post
Just checking: totally quiet as in Silence?

Can I make a Perception check on this fellow? Sounds like one of the skeletons reputed to be terrorising the neighbourhood. But he looks a bit clever for a member of the walking dead...

1d20+5=23

Next check: normally fire and granaries are a potentially explosive combo. I'm presuming that the atmosphere is damp enough in here due to the fog, that that isn't the case - people are wandering about with torches and lanterns?

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Just checking: totally quiet as in Silence?

Can I make a Perception check on this fellow? Sounds like one of the skeletons reputed to be terrorising the neighbourhood. But he looks a bit clever for a member of the walking dead...

1d20+5=23

Next check: normally fire and granaries are a potentially explosive combo. I'm presuming that the atmosphere is damp enough in here due to the fog, that that isn't the case - people are wandering about with torches and lanterns?

Yessir, totally quiet as in Silence. He's at least smart enough to be given an independent mission (sabotage the granary) and to change actions when circumstances warrant - i.e. not simply following a master's command.

The fog has damped it enough that there's no risk of explosion.

grufflehead

First Post
OOC - In that case, time for precipitant action!

Mustapha was momentarily non-plussed as his tale was cut short. He was still speaking, he just couldn't hear his own words. That sudden change to the environment was enough to heighten his level of alertness, and so when the skeletal figure loomed out of the fog his shock lasted only an instant.

Normally one who sought a diplomatic and non-violent resolution to conflict, a glance at the figure's foul visage and the weapon it brandished at him was enough to convince the Brass Man that, even if this creature could hear his entreaties, it didn't look particularly pre-disposed to a reasoned discourse. With the merest tinge of regret, Mustapha took a step back, reached for his belt and quickly produced a small glass vial, which he deftly cracked the seal on with his thumb. Adding a pinch of powder from a pouch he quickly swirled the mixture - the previously clear liquid began to roil and flash, as if the very flames of hell themself were about to burst forth. Before they engulfed him, with a flick of the wrist Mustapha sent the contents flying towards the fiend.

[sblock=Actions!]
5' step back to N16

(Free Action - drop my scimitar if mixing needs 2 hands?)

Standard action - mix and throw Alchemical Bomb (touch attack)

1d20+3, 1d6+4=[16, 3], [6, 4]

OOC - that's going to smart!

Move action - if I am out of the Silence now I will shout 'LEAF!'; place another lit pot in my current square. If I'm still in the Silence I'll need to use my move action to actually move, then shout.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Stat Block]
Code:
   HP: 08/19     AC: 13  AC(T): 11  AC(FF): 12  Init: +01

* Situational Bonus

Saving Throw   Total  Base   Mod  Misc   Special
Fort:            +5     2     +3          
Ref:             +3     2     +1           
Will:            +4     2     +1         +1 from trait 

BAB: 00       CMB:+00     CMD: 11

Weapon                  Attack    Damage      Critical     Special
Quarterstaff            +0        1d6            20/x2     
Scimitar                +0        1d6         18-20/x2     
Alchemical Bomb         +3        1d6+4          20/x2     R Touch, Splash 1 sq for 4 HP
(standard action to
create and throw)

Spells Available:
    * 0 Level (-/- Daily)    * 1st Level (2/2 Daily)
      * Daze               * Cause Fear
      * Read Magic         * Sleep

Extracts Available:
    * 1st Level (1/2 Daily)
      * Expeditious Retreat
      * (Expeditious Retreat/Cure Light Wounds/Comprehend Languages/Disguise Self/Shield
        - 1 minute to prepare

Mutagen Available: (0/1 Daily) - +2 natural armour, +4 STR, -2 INT

Alchemical Bomb Available: (3/4 Daily) - 1D6 + 4 Damage (direct hit)/ 4 Damage (splash)
[/sblock]

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
As you step back to stay out of range of the skeleton's retaliating strike, the fog closes in and you lose sight of the creature. Your bomb's explosion lights the area in a flash and you see the Black Echelon Operative (BEO) engulfed in the flames before the flash dissipates.

You manage to get out your cry for help as you're stepping, but just as you complete your move your ears are once again assaulted by complete silence. The grain to your NE boils and another Operative surges out from his hiding place beneath it. His slashing attack with a rusty sickle just misses taking off a chunk of your nose.

[sblock=OOC]5' Step took you out of sight of the Operative, so I resolved the bomb as though you targeted the grid intersect rather than the operative. The minimum damage was enough to kill the one you targeted.

I'll post your cry for help in the other side threads and see how they react . . .[/sblock]

Attachments

• Granary - Mustapha.jpg
    Granary - Mustapha.jpg
    615.5 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

grufflehead

First Post
Fine. Just in case you were wondering, for bomb damage, as it is specifically called in the class description, I'm adding +1 for Point Blank Shot on a direct hit. It strikes me that although it then says that splash damage is the minimum direct hit damage, adding the PBS bonus to this makes no sense intuitively (to me anyway), so I'm assuming it's the minimum from the 'base' damage ie 1D6 + INT mod. That square with your reading of it?

I hope some brave soul is going to come to my rescue. Note to self for future: leaving 'unmade' infusions is flexible, but 1 minute prep time does not a combat solution make ;) Shield would be very handy right about now....

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Keep it up . . . you're developing quite the reputation for striding boldly into danger!

Mustapha was able to hear himself shout for Leaf before silence again enveloped him, so there's hope . . .

The only way I can see PBS adding to damage is added force for being so close, so I think our readings are in line. Targeted creatures in PB range take an extra point for PBS, creatures subject to splash damage don't.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Leaf steps up next to you from the south, trident held out in a defensive posture, torch held high.

Lerissa's up but you can go ahead and post as well.

Attachments

• Granary - Mustapha.jpg
    Granary - Mustapha.jpg
    616.8 KB · Views: 76

grufflehead

First Post
3 questions:

- is that a baddie to my NE (O17)?
- is it still quiet?
- did I have to drop my scimitar to mix my bomb? If so, which square is it in?

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
It is a baddie - it's the one that jumped out of the grain pile and attacked you (and missed).

It is still quiet (I'll say you say Leaf's mouth moving as he moved to his current location, but heard nothing coming out).

You did drop your scimitar - it's in O15 (one square to your SE)

grufflehead

First Post
Would I be right in thinking, based on previous text, that O15 has 'sound'? I'm basing this on the fact that I was in that square, dropped scimitar and threw my bomb, then got my shout off and heard it, then it went quiet again once I moved.

And do I think the new opponent has reach - hoping not if it actually *is* a sickle he's using.

Remove ads