• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Potion of Any Potions, please review

Corbert

Explorer
Potion of Any Potions
This potion will only work properly for a mage or sage who knows of its true power. When drank, this potion will act exactly like any one potion the mage/sage has personal knowledge of how to create. If the directions/recipe is incomplete, but the mage/sage honestly doesn't know this, then the potion will function normally anyway due to the nature of the creation process of the Potion of Any Potions.
If drank by anyone who doesn’t know the nature of the potion, thinks it is a different potion, or knows what it is but has no knowledge of potion creation, then the Potion of Any Potions acts as poison; Fort saving throw DC 19, 1d6 Con, secondary 1d6 Con.
This potion is very difficult to Identify because it will give many false readings to a mage trying to Identify it. When confronted with this, a mage has a percentile chance equal to his Intelligence plus his Wisdom to perhaps remember something from his training about a potion with these qualities. The spell Analyze Dweomer will work normally.

(Just for flavor DM’s can use the following)
The material components needed to create this potion include the frontal lobes of a true psionic creature (such as a psionicist or Mind Flayer), several herbs having to do with change, doppelganger blood, mimic blood, and the entire corpse of a peltast dried and powdered.
Also, it would not be unfair to require the creation process to be done in a wild magic zone (natural or artificial), with no other magic or psionic items within 50 feet.

Strong Transmutation; CL 15th; Brew potion, Polymorph Any Object; Price 6000 gp, 240 XP

Corbert

Explorer
Ferret said:
Cool, a very nice potion. The price may bea tad low, but I'm unsure. Very nice creation though.

Well, I went by the 3.5 rules found in the SRD online, so I think it's accurate.

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
Seems very expensive. I'd give it a price of 1500 gp, and say that it could reproduce any potion worth 750 gp or less. (That is, up to a 3rd level spell, caster level 5).

Not that your price is wrong; at 6000 gp the PoAP is double the price of the most expensive potion in the DMG treasure table. Doubling the price would seem a fair trade for the increased flexibility, but I would make an exception when most of the potions there are 750 gp or less. A 700% increase in price seems excessive.

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
Corbert said:
This potion is very difficult to Identify because it will give many false readings to a mage trying to Identify it. When confronted with this, a mage has a percentile chance equal to his Intelligence plus his Wisdom to perhaps remember something from his training about a potion with these qualities.

I'd suggest a Knowldedge Arcana check with a fixed DC to stay more consistant with the existing mechanics.

Well, I went by the 3.5 rules found in the SRD online, so I think it's accurate.

I'd be curious to hear how you calculated the price. And many items have prices that don't follow the "rules." They're really more like guidelines.

Corbert

Explorer
I calculated the price using the following straight off the 3.5 SRD at http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/magicItemsCreation.html
Spell Effect Base Price Example
Single use, use-activated Spell level x caster level x 50 gp Potion of cure light wounds

Spell level 8th X minimum caster level 15th X 50 = 6000

I think only 3rd level spells can be placed into potions normally, but I recall there is an epic feat somewhere that allows you to exceed that limitation. Unfortunately, I don't remember where it is :( . I checked the Epic level Handbook first, but no luck there. I should probably add epic level to the requirements to make. Because it is so expensive I should probably allow it to also duplicate the effect of any elixer, oil or salve as well.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads