Pre-generated characters for one-shot game; sex and gender breakdown. Opinions wanted.

Mezuka

Hero
Mod Note:

No, it does not.

And you should go and consider what made you think that was funny, before you put your foot in your mouth again with greater consequences.
I'm going to respond to you directly.

"The acronym "LGBT" is thus supplemented with other letters or with a "+" to include other variants of gender identity, sexual characteristics, or sexual orientation, such as asexuality, pansexuality or two-spirit.'

[edit ]You can go ahead and ban me. I waste too much time around here anyway. It worsens my rubber band syndrome for editions I no longer play.

Last edited:

aco175

Legend
I'm not sure how the VTT works but if you provide a male and a female picture to pick from, then I feel you reached out. If someone still wants to have something different, then they can bring another picture and upload it. It should not be that hard. Same for the name of the PC unless they want something stupid like Bob the Fighter or Kiki Fluffybottom. Well, maybe Kiki.

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
Gender hasn't mattered since 2nd edition, so you can just let the players pick whatever they want.

The art's the tricky bit, since it can be hard to find something just-right. One option is to go to HeroForge (which is quite customizable) and take a snapshot of the theoretical mini. If they like the character enough, you can then order it for tabletop play!

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
Facebook did indeed have a list of 58 a few years back.

If you wanted a more expansive list, you could go with one that looks more traditionally masculine, one that looks more traditionally feminine, and one that looks more androgynous, though with all the combinations of races/ancestries and classes I agree you do get into an infinite-parameter problem. If you think a lot of people will want non-binary presentations you could try using a Google Image search for 'androgynous wizard' or something like that--as long as you are not making money I think it would count as fair use, and you can credit the artist if you can find them. (Might even bring them some money for a commission.)

Emirikol

Adventurer
I finally settled on just bog-standard 5m/1f. Because they have a paragraph background I removed awkward language and simply put an open door your-preference statement with additional art to supplement as desired. As sex and gender arent plot things in this adventure, it didn't matter, but I didn't want to be too old fashioned and I also didn't want just rubber character skins with stats as too generic.
Thanks for the opinions everybody. I gained a lot of insight into the topic.

Remove ads