• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Prestige Martial Paladin

sledged

First Post
I like the idea of the Martial Paladin from CW, and the Prestige Paladin from UA, so I want to combine the two. Seems simple enough, but since spells won't be a feature of the PrC, I want to replace the requirements that require taking levels in spellcasting classes (i.e. the spellcasting and turn undead requirements) with something appropriate. Anyone have any suggestions?

Glak

First Post
BAB +5
Knowledge(Religion) 2 ranks, Ride 2 ranks
LG alignment
Must slay or convert a poweful being of great evil (outsider, intelligent undead, etc...)
Must make a sacrifice for the cause of good (losing something, giving up an opportunity, have to kill an evil friend, etc...)

sledged

First Post
Good call on the BAB requirement, but I think I'll keep the skills and feat requirements as they are.

I should have asked this with the paladin question, but for a prestigious martial ranger, with what would you replace the PrC ranger's "Must be able to cast calm animals as a divine spell" requirement?

Glak

First Post
Well I don't own UA (just skimmed it a bit), but for ranger I would require the Track feat. Also by martial, do you simply mean low magic? Or do you mean low magic low and low skill points? Just asking because some people prefer the 3.0 ranger. Since favored enemy seems to be a big part of the ranger you might want them to have some knowledge relating to their initial foe. For example a ranger that wants to fight aberrations might need knowledge(dungeoneering). Or maybe they have to track one down. Ranks in survival are a must of course, maybe handle animal as well.

sledged

First Post
Glak said:
by martial, do you simply mean low magic? Or do you mean low magic low and low skill points?
I mean non-spellcasting. Spell-like abilities are fine. The Complete Warrior introduced variant classes for the paladin and ranger. They lacked spells but had other abilities to compensate the loss. I'm just trying to create PrC versions of those classes.

Glak said:
Since favored enemy seems to be a big part of the ranger you might want them to have some knowledge relating to their initial foe. For example a ranger that wants to fight aberrations might need knowledge(dungeoneering). Or maybe they have to track one down. Ranks in survival are a must of course, maybe handle animal as well.
Those are some good ideas. Just so you have a frame of reference, here are the requirements for the classes (with spells):

Paladin:
Lawful Good, BAB +4, Knowledge (religion 2, nobility and royalty 2), Ride 4, Mounted Combat, cast protection from evil as a divine spell, TU.

Ranger:
BAB +4, Knowledge (nature) 2, Survival 4, Endurance, Track, either Rapid Shot or Two Weapon Fighting, calm animals as a divine spell.

The requirements in bold are the ones I'm looking to replace, I'm also going to bump up the BAB requirements to +5.

Remove ads