• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Princes of the Apolcalypse/Adventurer's Handbook by Sasquatch Game Studios

According to the article on the front page, that's exactly what it's called.
Which does make it sound more like a Player's Guide than universal accessory. If something is offering new races and class options, it's a little more than just a guide to the adventure.

Tying the splatbooks to the adventures is all well and good, but they should be equal parts generic accessory and adventure, or people not playing the adventure won't readily know it might have extra content. Like an elemental sorcerer, genasi race, etc.

That said, one accessory every six months seems like a good release rate, depending on the size/price. I'm hoping it's not a 160-page book selling for $40...

Gundark

Explorer
This is disheartening for me. The kids group and I absolutely love 5e perhAPs the best of all. But I have little time for prep and even less time to spend on converting other edition modules. I dropped PFBB for largely the same reason (and the kids hated grid combats). 13th Age suffers from a similar issue. No adventures.

Good thing there are 3PP that have your back

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
Could you list all of the Tiamat-based adventure paths published so far? Admittedly, I'm not a big adventure buyer anymore, I didn't know there were any.

I used to be a big adveture buyer, though. I know of The Temple of Elemental Evil, Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil, and Kenzer's Temple of Existential Evil.

1E: Dragonlance (albeit she is named Takhisis), D&D Cartoon
3.5E: Red Hand of Doom
4E: Scales of War
5E: Tyranny of Dragons

And I am sure I have simply forgotten one for 2E. :)

Keldryn

Adventurer
This seems to fit what's been said so far. Additional player material will be based on the major story arcs. The organized play document for Tyranny of Dragons mentions which materials are usable, which I can see meaning that those who do organized play will have an incentive to pick up the adventurer's handbook for each arc. It also means that old material might expire for organized play (and probably fall out of print). Long term, I wouldn't be surprised to see material get reprinted in newer arcs.

I love this approach to new player material. New options are grouped thematically, rather than mechanically. This solves two issues that I have with the traditional approach that features the Book for Fighters, the Book for Wizards, etc:

1. The new options are actually designed to all be used in the same campaign. Sure, you can come up with ways to fit the Samurai, the Swashbucker, and the Amazon into a campaign (sounds like the set-up for a joke), but in my experience the results are generally unsatisfying and undermine my efforts to craft a coherent game world.

2. The balance between classes should remain roughly the same. The Druid in my game won't be stuck having drastically fewer options than the other PCs due to a) the Druid book isn't out yet or b) I've already spent $90 on splatbooks and just didn't feel like spending another $30 to buy Primal Power.

I don't see this as being that much different from the later 4e books like Heroes of the Feywild or Heroes of the Elemental Chaos. It's just more tightly focused for the needs of a specific campaign, rather than options build around a more general theme. And I much prefer those books to books like Martial Power, The Complete Warrior, and the like. This way, you get to use most of the book, rather than the relevant 10 pages from each of 5 books.

Now, where's the setting material?

We will probably see most of it in these big adventures and their accompanying Adventurer's Guides, rather than as separate products. Quite likely, some supplemental material to expand the setting beyond the scope of the adventure will show up in the magazines.

In many ways, this is reminiscent of TSR's approach in the early-to-mid 80s.

The world of Krynn was introduced in DL1 Dragons of Despair. Each module in the series revealed more of the world as the scope of the campaign widened. DL5 Dragons of Mystery was a 32-page sourcebook that compiled and expanded upon the setting info from the first four adventures. The remaining adventures in the series continued to expand upon the setting as needed.

The Known World (later, Mystara) was introduced in the module X1 Isle of Dread and the Expert Set with a map and a couple of sentences describing each nation. B10 Night's Dark Terror was a long adventure set in The Grand Duchy of Karameikos and provided a wealth of information about that region. Several of the X-series modules introduced new lands (X4, X5, X6, X9) and X10 Red Arrow, Black Shield provided more details on all of the nations on the X1 map. CM1 Test of the Warlords introduced the land of Norwold, and unexplored and unsettled realm, to complement the rules for PCs building strongholds and ruling dominions.

I would not be at all surprised to see something like a Blood of the Yakuza story arc with an accompanying Adventurer's Guide and supplemental Dragon articles describing Kozakura, rather than an Oriental Adventures hardcover and a Kara-Tur Campaign Setting.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
A lot of us were stunned by the clear parallels between Tyranny of Dragons and the War of the Lance, when it was announced.

You know, I didn't even think about this.

But maybe that's because to me Tiamat is less "Takhisis" and more "that dragon that those six kids with their magic weapons and pet unicorn managed never to get eaten by". I guess I don't have the connection to Dragonlance that many other folks do.

The point being that if I ever do run Tyranny of Dragons, I'm going to have to put in a cameo by Venger. And maybe a balding halfling wizard who speaks in cryptic riddles.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
That's always been the mantra behind GH...well, maybe not in so many words. :)

FR gets the details down to the color of the socks of King Azoun's court jester (green and orange, for those that are curious). With GH, the details are left to the players.

Of course, if you were a real FR fan you would know:

1. Azoun didn't have a court jester; and
2. socks have not yet been invented in FR.

:)

As an alternative to freeing Tharizdun, FR could have a plot to free Cyric who was imprisoned as a result of the soap opera storyline that led to the Spellplague. (That's what I have been using for my elemental-themed FR adventures.)

Chriscdoa

Explorer
WOTC looks like they really want to push the Adventurer's League. They want everything they publish to be playable in the Adventurer's League. AL is tied directly to the factions and to FR.

Honestly, I don't see a way for them to publish things in any campaign setting other than FR with the way they've connected the two. They might just allow other companies to take on the other campaign worlds.
Fingers crossed.
I used to like FR but i am 3 sets of campaign settings for it. If they detail some of the regions great, but it's just not that special.
Unlike basically all their other worlds!!

Wrathamon

Adventurer
What are iconic big villains in D&D? that is pretty much what they are doing.

Tiamat
Temple of Elemental evil

next up? Vecna? Lolth?

I can see this format bringing back Sigil and Planescape easily.

Why is this FR and not greyhawk? Easy, they are doing transmedia, there are no video games, movies, etc right now focused on anything but Forgotten Realms.

Untill there is a big Greyhawk MMO, series of boardgames, best selling novels, comic books, toyline, tv/movie, cartoon, whatever or until these big transmedia crossovers dont work, I wouldnt expect a big adventure in anything BUT FR.

Too bad cause I would love a Big Greyhawk box set with a massive map.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
You know, I didn't even think about this.

But maybe that's because to me Tiamat is less "Takhisis" and more "that dragon that those six kids with their magic weapons and pet unicorn managed never to get eaten by". I guess I don't have the connection to Dragonlance that many other folks do.

It's not just that it is Tiamat, it's also the summoning her back into the world after she was banished. The arc has commonalities. The real kicker was that the black temple that figured prominently in some of the early Tyranny media looks so much like the Temple of Takhisis at Neraka that it might as well be the Temple of Takhisis at Neraka.

The point being that if I ever do run Tyranny of Dragons, I'm going to have to put in a cameo by Venger. And maybe a balding halfling wizard who speaks in cryptic riddles.

Let me play a transplant from Earth and you've got yourself a PC. :)

Wrathamon

Adventurer
Let me play a transplant from Earth and you've got yourself a PC. :)

awesome! I'll play that!

Background: Transplant from Modern Earth

Skills: Player Knowledge, Whining
Tools: video games, dice

Background trait
DM buddy
A physically representation of the DM, known as Dungeon Master appears when you need help, or don't know what to do next during downtime to help railroad you or give you an obvious clue as to what you should do next.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads