• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Problems at the gaming table.

How amusing that the jerk player is now running a character that will be begging you and the bard for buff spells and healing if he expects to survive more than 5 minutes at that level of play.

Bob5th

First Post
Right now buffs are covered by the 5000 scrolls we pulled off the wizard. Oddly the fighter turns to the bard for healing before he does the cleric. Given that healing is not one of my god's domain I don't feal that he's inclined to offer healing anytime you get scratched. I will see what I can do if asked to heal or if your laying on the ground bleeding to death otherwise don't expect anything from me.

Side Note: It takes a lot of Cure Light wounds Spells to heal 3 11th level characters to max. Glad I made two wands.

Of course he turns to the Bard first. From what you have said the player running the fighter considers the Bard's player to be little more than his personal servant.

Bob5th said:
Right now buffs are covered by the 5000 scrolls we pulled off the wizard. Oddly the fighter turns to the bard for healing before he does the cleric. Given that healing is not one of my god's domain I don't feal that he's inclined to offer healing anytime you get scratched. I will see what I can do if asked to heal or if your laying on the ground bleeding to death otherwise don't expect anything from me.

Side Note: It takes a lot of Cure Light wounds Spells to heal 3 11th level characters to max. Glad I made two wands.

WizarDru

Adventurer
Which is exactly the problem we were discussing earlier. This player is a bully, and his behavior is such that he will expect the bard to do as he says. The age difference may be a factor, and there may be other things at work, but that's essentially it. He sees the bard's player as someone he can make give him things in-game, and he'll milk it for all it's worth.

Why ask the cleric for a heal when he can demand one from the bard. You still have a problem, and it needs addressing. Ignoring it won't make it go away.

Eben

First Post
You know, this is a hobby, not a professional activity for which we get paid. Those sessions sound really stressfull to me.

One day, you'll find out that your time is waaaaay too precious to spend on situations like this when you should actually be having fun.

Meridian

First Post
Okay.

There appear to be at least two common perspectives on this issue.

There are those who emphasize that DnD's design is intended to foster team cooperation, therefore all participants ("players") are obliged to design and play game analogs ("characters") that 1) automatically "get along" in the gametime interaction and 2) *will* perform functions on behalf of the party expected of their profession within the adventuring structure of "the party". According to this viewpoint, any player deviating from cooperation should face punitve measures for transgressing these unspoken assumptions if they continue to refuse compliance with these expectations.

The other perspective, while a little unclear, seems to take place within the paradigm of game immersion: if the characters are doing the things they do because they are in fact role-playing, then the upholders of this point are advocating the need for the problem to be addressed during in-game in conversation between the characters, with consequences for things said and done handled along the way.

It just reminds me how differently individual gamers can approach the concept of role-playing.

Seems to me like the problem originating this thread straddled the perspectives, and the subsequent solutions offered bounced back and forth as a consequence.

If the issue is "responsibilities of the player", then the problem is rooted in the expectations being violated, whether knowingly or unknowingly.

If the issue is "the wizard character is being a butthead", then the concern is the characters addressing the problem according to their divergent personalities and preserving party unity.

Solutions should be based on these assumptions. The player of the wizard may have been directing his character according to his preconceptions without realizing its impact on the expectations of others.

My two cents.

The problem is quite simple. One player is being a complete jerk to another player. Reasons are irrelevent. The older player is abusing the younger player based at least partially on age.

Dump the idiot and move on.

Wicht

Hero
Bob5th said:
Right now buffs are covered by the 5000 scrolls we pulled off the wizard.

Is that hyperbole? How does one carry 5000 scrolls and/or use them effectively in a combat situation?

This whole situation for some reason reminds me of that episode Bugaboo had with the player whose mother made the cookies but was unhappy about the attire of one of the other players. I don't know why I make that association - perhaps its the age of the players involved.

Taluron

"Originally posted by Bob5th:Right now buffs are covered by the 5000 scrolls we pulled off the wizard."

"Is that hyperbole? How does one carry 5000 scrolls and/or use them effectively in a combat situation?"

Hewards Handy Haversack. Out of curiosity and because our group was finding many scrolls, I calculated how many scrolls can be put into one of the side pockets - approxiamately 10000. Based on volume and weight. With the HHH's special property, whatever you want is on top, you just have to remember that you have it. The 5000 may have been hyperbole (and likely was) but it is possible.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads