Black Flag Project Black Flag Reveal Its Official Title: 'Tales of the Valiant'!

Kobold Press' 5E-replacement game, up until now only known by its codename, Black Flag, now has an official title--Tales of the Valiant. And it's coming to Kickstarter next month, joining existing games like Level Up: Advanced 5th Edition and Cubicle 7's upcoming as-yet-untitled C7d20 system which provide open, independent alternatives to Dungeons & Dragons using the same rules system. COMING...

4BA1EF94-D675-4AC3-AF93-8AD103563A0E.png

Kobold Press' 5E-replacement game, up until now only known by its codename, Black Flag, now has an official title--Tales of the Valiant. And it's coming to Kickstarter next month, joining existing games like Level Up: Advanced 5th Edition and Cubicle 7's upcoming as-yet-untitled C7d20 system which provide open, independent alternatives to Dungeons & Dragons using the same rules system.

COMING TO KICKSTARTER MAY 2023
Be bold. Be brave. Be Valiant.

Tales of the Valiant (ToV) is a Core Fantasy Roleplaying game that builds on the Creative Commons foundation of 5th Edition.

Project Black Flag has taken bold steps to keep 5th Edition vibrant in an evolving industry. Since January, Kobold Press and the growing 5E community have worked together to create an open, independent version of 5th Edition. Today we reveal the name of the bold future for Kobold Press.

We are writing ToV now. When it’s done, it will be based on the new Core Fantasy Roleplaying rules. (If you’re just joining us, Kobold Press is committed to releasing Core Fantasy Roleplaying to everyone under an open, perpetual, and irrevocable license. It’s like the SRD, but more thorough.)

ToV rules will be available in two books: The Player’s Guide and Monster Vault.

The Player’s Guide includes 13 base classes, lineages and heritages from classic fantasy roleplaying, and the rules you need to play or GM, all between two covers. The Monster Vault includes every dungeon-crawling and fire-belching fantasy creature you need to craft compelling fantasy encounters.

And that’s only a start! Tales of the Valiant goes to Kickstarter in May 2023 and ships to backers in 2024. During development, Kickstarter backers get an inside track with two additional sets of playtest material. Sign up now to be notified when the Kickstarter launches and become one of the Valiant.

Samurai

Adventurer
Honestly, I feel they missed out by not doing an alliterative name with an ampersand, like Castles & Crusades or Tunnels & Trolls. This name doesn't have a huge amount of resonance for me, doesn't stick in the mind.
I agree. How about "Kobolds and Conjurings"? (Putting the company's mascot in the title seems obvious, as is hinting at having Kobolds as a playable race in the game, further marking it as different than DnD! Remember, Paizo put their signature Goblins into Pathfinder 2e as a playable race...)

Honestly, I feel they missed out by not doing an alliterative name with an ampersand, like Castles & Crusades or Tunnels & Trolls. This name doesn't have a huge amount of resonance for me, doesn't stick in the mind.
I tend to agree. I don’t think it was effect the Kickstarter but sitting with a pile of other books at a local hobby store there is nothing about that name that will entice anyone to pick it up. Sounds like a YA book or anthology of some part. However I don’t think staying with Black Flag would be the answer either unless it was a pirates focused rpg.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I think names often come to have the association rather than coming out the gate with it. Some of eh biggest brand names in the world follow that pattern — McDonalds, Apple, etc. Branding is created iver time and usage. Often the word itself almost doesn’t matter.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I agree. How about "Kobolds and Conjurings"? (Putting the company's mascot in the title seems obvious, as is hinting at having Kobolds as a playable race in the game, further marking it as different than DnD! Remember, Paizo put their signature Goblins into Pathfinder 2e as a playable race...)

Knight-Wardens & Kobold-Warrens (or just Knights & Kobolds)

Remove ads

Remove ads