D&D 5E Proposed Fix for Whack-a-Mole Healing

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Haven't read the rest of the thread, because the OP is missing something really important; intelligent enemies will not stop attacking once they knock a foe unconscious.

If you're fighting a foe who is aware magical healing exists (which in most D&D games, will be any sapient being), they are well aware that if someone drops to zero hp, they will likely be back on their feet soon enough.

So any foe who is moderately intelligent will conclude; keep attacking the unconscious person to ensure they're dead.

I can assure you, if you have any enemy attack a downed PC, your players will shy away from the "heal only when we're down" strategy.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Haven't read the rest of the thread, because the OP is missing something really important; intelligent enemies will not stop attacking once they knock a foe unconscious.

If you're fighting a foe who is aware magical healing exists (which in most D&D games, will be any sapient being), they are well aware that if someone drops to zero hp, they will likely be back on their feet soon enough.

So any foe who is moderately intelligent will conclude; keep attacking the unconscious person to ensure they're dead.

I can assure you, if you have any enemy attack a downed PC, your players will shy away from the "heal only when we're down" strategy.&
This thread is over 4 years old but the other side of the problem with fixing this case of atrocious design in 5e is that players lack the healing & damage mitigation tools needed to use proactive healing rather than using wackamole healing's absorb shield that nullifies all damage beyond zero.

Urriak Uruk

This thread is over 4 years old but the other side of the problem with fixing this case of atrocious design in 5e is that players lack the healing & damage mitigation tools needed to use proactive healing rather than using wackamole healing's absorb shield that nullifies all damage beyond zero.

This isn't true at all. Just played a game last Friday where the cleric has an ability (I'm blanking on it's name) where everyone within five feet of him is getting temporary hit points. A party of 5 level 6 PCs were able to stomp a deva, flesh golem, and his 12 mongrelfolk minions pretty successfully on the merits of that ability alone; no one was downed once.

tommybahama

Adventurer
Your comment
When after the fight the players seem more HAPPYLYRELIEVED than GLORIOUSLY VICTORIOUS,m it is a surefire sign that the DM should drop this "they must win by the skin of their teeth" attitude. It's cheap. It's bad.

If you want your players to have fun, you have to make them feel extra-heroic most of the time!

I really enjoyed your comments as it is apropos to our DM's current homebrew campaign and I am eagerly awaiting to see if CCS responds to a four year old thread. 🧟‍♂️

I'm not sure that is true if you look at any street brawl or gun fight recorded on YouTube and it's definitely not true of movies. You deal with the immediate threat and then move on to the next target as soon as the first threat hits the pavement.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
This isn't true at all. Just played a game last Friday where the cleric has an ability (I'm blanking on it's name) where everyone within five feet of him is getting temporary hit points. A party of 5 level 6 PCs were able to stomp a deva, flesh golem, and his 12 mongrelfolk minions pretty successfully on the merits of that ability alone; no one was downed once.
Protector turret is an ability one artificer subclass has, 1d8+int mod. It's basically the exception & expecting an artillerist artificer to be the only remaining healer is hardly a reasonable state of "fix"

tommybahama

Adventurer

Circle of Shepherd druid's Unicorn Spirit (a second level ability) plus healing word will restore an additional hit points equal to the druid's level to anybody within 30 feet. It only takes a bonus action to set up the Unicorn Spirit and then another bonus action healing word each turn. It is soooo good.

Oofta

Legend
I'm not sure that is true if you look at any street brawl or gun fight recorded on YouTube and it's definitely not true of movies. You deal with the immediate threat and then move on to the next target as soon as the first threat hits the pavement.

The real world doesn't have healing word or potions. D&D world is more like Zombieland where Rule #2 (after Cardio) is Double Tap.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Circle of Shepherd druid's Unicorn Spirit (a second level ability) plus healing word will restore an additional hit points equal to the druid's level to anybody within 30 feet. It only takes a bonus action to set up the Unicorn Spirit and then another bonus action healing word each turn. It is soooo good.
Once per long rest for one minute with no way of moving itof course runs into trouble unless defending against the zerg horde.

Urriak Uruk

How many gun fights have you seen where folks have health potions or magical healing? If people could heal people near-instantly, folks would definitely be more keen on ensuring their enemy is dead.

Remove ads