Protecting folders?

Ferret

Explorer
I'm using windows vista and I like to protect folders, after looking on the help it looks like I can't use passwords on folders, which seems unusual. It was suggested that I use permissions but it looks like I can only alter permissions for 'Public' and 'User Name' folders.

Is there any way to alter permissions in other folders? Or add passwords? Or is there a programme I can download that will let me do that?

Thanks for any help.

ThirdWizard

First Post
I think a non-administrator account can't access administrator User folders (or maybe just anyone else's User folders). So, you could keep things there and put others on a different account.

Redrobes

First Post
Ferret said:
I'm using windows vista and I like to protect folders, after looking on the help it looks like I can't use passwords on folders, which seems unusual. It was suggested that I use permissions but it looks like I can only alter permissions for 'Public' and 'User Name' folders.

Is there any way to alter permissions in other folders? Or add passwords? Or is there a programme I can download that will let me do that?

Thanks for any help.
Hi Ferret, Are you wanting to protect your folders from being accidentally deleted by yourself by using another of your user names or are the folders not owned by any user name you have access to ? The way it reads though is that you want to add permissions for stuff in other peoples user accounts.

If you have your own stuff that you have access to or can copy the contents then there is a nifty app called TrueCrypt (http://www.truecrypt.org/) which creates encrypted folders and files and can mount them as new drives in explorer and use them like any other files. To access them you need to put in a password. Its very useful for a USB Memstick which if you loose then you have the data secure. I know it works for Win2000, XP and X64 versions but not sure about Vista though I would think its probably. Its free anyway so give it a try. I'm told PGP has a cryptor like it too.

Ferret

Explorer
I have folders that aren't part of the '*username*/public' structure in windows. It's what used to be 'My Documents' (I assume); I've never used them. At the moment I have a folder that I get to via my D drive, with subfolders set up how I like them to be set up. I'd like to protect folders of files I don't want other people to be able to get to when they use a guest account I created on my computer (Say plans for world domination).

Will I have to move my files and folders to the standard Windows ones under my username or will I be able to protect them where they are?

Attachments

• folders.jpg
    folders.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 89

Randolpho

First Post
Sure you can protect them where they are. I forget how to do it in Vista (I have XP at work) but it's probably along the same lines. Go to the folder in explorer then right-click on it. There should be a tab called security or something along those lines. Remove any users but yourself from the list of users with permissions on the folder, and you're pretty much good to go. I'd suggest keeping administrators and SYSTEM as allowed users, or you might have trouble, but you can lock everyone else out of it.

I'll double-check the Vista method when I get home, but you shouldn't need third-party software.

Redrobes

First Post
Ferret said:
I have folders that aren't part of the '*username*/public' structure in windows. It's what used to be 'My Documents' (I assume); I've never used them. At the moment I have a folder that I get to via my D drive, with subfolders set up how I like them to be set up. I'd like to protect folders of files I don't want other people to be able to get to when they use a guest account I created on my computer (Say plans for world domination).

Will I have to move my files and folders to the standard Windows ones under my username or will I be able to protect them where they are?

OK, well you don't need any 3rd party / encryption software for this unless the sort of users you have might be those black hat hacker types or your plans for world domination might get you banged up in gitmo :)

I'm going to write from the experience of XP but Im sure its similar in Vista.

Basically all file access permissions on your machine are controlled by users and groups and generally a 'deny' overrules an 'allow'. You have some built in users and groups too. One is the one administrator account, one is a guest account. There is a local service account and a network service account. There is another which is the creator/owner of that single file too which is not strictly an account but more of a file status thing. There are loads of groups too but there are the 'administrators' (note plural) group and the 'users' group to name two important ones.

To modify the users and groups you generally become administrator, go to the start menu, control panel, administrative tools and then local users and groups. You can then look at all users and all the groups. You can disable the guest account by clicking on it and there is a tickbox there. You can also add users and add or move yourself into other groups.

On the folder of interest get the security tab open. Generally you want to leave everything alone except the 'users' group. For directories that you want to make private to all users except administrators etc then get rid of the users group in the security setting for a folder. Now since you are one of the many users who will get disabled from that folder then you should add in your single username in there before you hit the OK now do it button.

Two more complications... Sometimes folders inherit permissions from their parent folders. In that case you can only add or deny extra settings and all parent ones are on top. Remember that deny is more powerful than allow. But if you deny 'users' then even by adding your own username you will still be a user and thus denied. So you should stop it inheriting security settings and a dialog box comes up asking whether you want to copy the parents settings instead. Click the yes, let it finish and then get rid of users and add your single username.

Lastly, there is the actual permissions themselves - list files, read, write etc. I would either tick all the boxes or untick all the boxes. You can allow people to look at the files and read them but not modify them etc. When you come to add your single username it will probably come up with a lot of blank boxes so tick them all at that point.

As a tip I would suggest you do this just for one folder which is like the root of all your own user data. Dont try to shore up security of your machine generally with this unless you know what your doing. It can be done but you can also stop services and other important bits of windows from being able to use important files and things start to fail.

I would also give yourself two accounts. One is your general login account and create another which is a general user one to test it with. Presumably you also have the administrator account too. You should use that just to make proper admin changes and not when generally using the machine.

In case you are wondering, I believe you cannot totally stop the administrator account from looking at your files but you can stop the administrators group from doing so. If that sort of thing is what you need to stop then its 3rd party tools time. I'm sure a whiz hacker type could tell you more but thats way more than enough for now.

Ferret

Explorer
Redrobes said:
.....On the folder of interest get the security tab open.....

That's the problem, no security tab. The set-up I have is one Administrator account and one Guest account (not the guest account though)...

Redrobes

First Post
Ahh, then I don't know. Sorry Ferret ! I kinda remember that the home editions didn't have the more complex security features and maybe Vista has done away with them. I always thought it odd that home users were denied security... Hopefully somebody with more Vista specific knowledge will post.

Remove ads