• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

protection from True Seeing?

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
Actually I believe there is a magic item for exactly this purpose. It's a mask that has an identity imprinted on it. You change shape to match the identity on the mask and magic(including true seeing) sees the identity in the mask as your true identity.

The object is in either the Eberron Campaign Setting or the Sharn city of Towers book.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
HeavenShallBurn said:
Actually I believe there is a magic item for exactly this purpose. It's a mask that has an identity imprinted on it. You change shape to match the identity on the mask and magic(including true seeing) sees the identity in the mask as your true identity.

The object is in either the Eberron Campaign Setting or the Sharn city of Towers book.
Mask of the Misplaced Aura, SCoT, p. 170.

The description specifically mentions True Seeing, indicating that it will not detect the true persona of the wearer, just the mask's false persona, including alignment. However, if the wearer has changed shape, True Seeing detects the person's true shape.

Nail

First Post
Salthorae said:
I know that it is book keeping, but hey 250gp to cast True Seeing each time? How many people actually follow those rules?
Ummmmm....all the groups I've ever gamed with?

Nail

First Post
TarionzCousin said:
Mask of the Misplaced Aura, SCoT, p. 170.
Again, this is generally a bad idea.

Another reason: It's promotes the "Arms Race" mentality.

"You've got True Seeing, eh? Well I have a Mask of the Misplaced Aura!"

"Oh yeah? Well I've got a new spell called Greater True Seeing, which specifically sees through such Masks!"

"Oh yeah? Well, I'll just upgrade it to a Greater Mask of the Misplaced Aura, which specifically fools the Greater True Seeing Spell!"

"Oh yeah? Well...."

Etc.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
Nail said:
Ummmmm....all the groups I've ever gamed with?
Cool. None of the groups I've gamed with have ever done this, nor have people from other groups I've talked with in the past. It's good to know someone out there actually follows the rules for material components! :)

In line with the mask that blocks True Seeing, I was reading through Complete Scoundrel last night, and it turns out that there is a whole Prc in there devoted to Masks. These masks each have powers that they give the wearer, and when the wearer is the subject of a divination that reveals things like alignment, they appear to be exactly as that mask dictates... kind of neat! Though, upon re-reading it, True Seeing would still see your true form so, it's not that applicable here :heh:

TarionzCousin

Nail said:
Again, this is generally a bad idea.

Another reason: It's promotes the "Arms Race" mentality.

"You've got True Seeing, eh? Well I have a Mask of the Misplaced Aura!"

"Oh yeah? Well I've got a new spell called Greater True Seeing, which specifically sees through such Masks!"

"Oh yeah? Well, I'll just upgrade it to a Greater Mask of the Misplaced Aura, which specifically fools the Greater True Seeing Spell!"

"Oh yeah? Well...."

Etc.
I agree. Witness what has happened with the spell Darkness. It seems like it's standard operating procedure for D&D to promote exactly this sort of thing.

Wish

First Post
The name of the spell notwithstanding, Mind Blank should work. Mind Blank blocks divinations*, True Seeing is a divination**, ergo Mind Blank blocks True Seeing.

*Which gather information (unlike, for example, Unluck).
**Which gathers informaiton (unlike, for example, Unluck).

Nail

First Post
Salthorae said:
It's good to know someone out there actually follows the rules for material components! :)
In a past high level game, we eventually just assumed we had the diamond dust, figurine, etc, and just crossed off the money on our sheets as we used the expensive material component. Again, this was a high level game (some of us PCs ended at 23rd level), so that sort of approach was warranted.

TarionzCousin

Salthorae said:
In line with the mask that blocks True Seeing, I was reading through Complete Scoundrel last night, and it turns out that there is a whole Prc in there devoted to Masks. These masks each have powers that they give the wearer, and when the wearer is the subject of a divination that reveals things like alignment, they appear to be exactly as that mask dictates... kind of neat! Though, upon re-reading it, True Seeing would still see your true form so, it's not that applicable here :heh:
Uh oh. Complete Scoundrel seems to have kicked the so-called arms race into high gear.

Did anyone else check this out? From FranktheDM's sig earlier in this thread:
Obscuring Darkness, a real darkness spell without the headaches.
http://www.enworld.org/showpost.php?p=3213378&postcount=12

I like it.

occam

Adventurer
SMDVogrin said:
No, Nondetection would not work vs True Seeing, at least not in my game.

"If a divination is attempted against the warded creature or item, the caster of the divination must succeed on a caster level check (1d20 + caster level) against a DC of 11 + the caster level of the spellcaster who cast nondetection."

Clairaudience/Clairvoyance, Locate Object, Scrying, Detect Evil, etc, etc, all target YOU, thus a Nondetection spell on you would affect them.

True Seeing targets THE PERSON LOOKING FOR YOU, thus a Nondetection spell on you has no effect. The divination is not being attempted against you, it's being attempted on them.

Right, in the case of detect evil and the like, the creature under the effect of nondetection, or area occupied by the creature, is targeted by the caster, who must make a caster level check. In the case of true seeing, the target is the seer, not the creature protected by nondetection; no caster level check applies, in my reading of it, just as no spell resistance or saving throw applies. The wording of the various spells is imprecise enough to create some latitude for an alternate interpretation, but it's far from obvious that it's the "correct" one. To me, such an interpretation seems like wishful thinking meant to compensate for the unfortunately absolutist nature of true seeing in the RAW.

blargney the second said:
Bingo, Salthorae. If nondetection works against detect evil, then it would work against true seeing.

As explained above, detect evil and true seeing work totally differently. One targets the object of divination, the other targets the recipient of divinatory power. I wish it didn't work that way, but it does.

Wish said:
The name of the spell notwithstanding, Mind Blank should work. Mind Blank blocks divinations*, True Seeing is a divination**, ergo Mind Blank blocks True Seeing.

The wording of mind blank makes pretty clear that it's meant to protect only one's mind (thoughts and emotions), not one's appearance. Again, the language leaves wiggle room, but I think it's stretching to say that it protects against true seeing.

Victim said:
Because True Seeing is a 5th level spell that lasts minutes and costs money to cast? Chances are good that most people aren't going to use it in front of you. It's not like it's the only way to burn their disguise either - shapechanging magic only grants a +10 bonus to disguise so perceptive characters can detect those creatures through entirely mundane means.

There's a qualitative difference between a +10 bonus to Disguise checks, and an effect that appears to change your basic form (including type). The latter makes scenarios possible that the former doesn't.

And the expense of true seeing's material component, plus its obviousness while casting, doesn't make a difference when the emperor is willing to pay for a scan of those entering his audience chamber, even on a random basis. If you accept the reading of the spells as described above, that makes the installation of shapechanged (and otherwise) agents close to the emperor or other such personage effectively impossible, thus cutting out an important type of scenario (which has even been used in published products).

Unfortunately, there is no unambiguous way to block true seeing that's contained in the core rules. Compensating with an appropriately designed magic item (which has apparently already been done in Eberron), even one that doesn't grant absolute protection, seems like an obvious measure. It makes sense within the game world, too; if your livelihood, and your life, depended on your true nature remaining undiscovered, wouldn't you spend whatever resources were necessary researching the development of such an item, if one didn't already exist?

Remove ads