Provoking an AoO on purpose

Hi folks,

there are SO MANY post for AoO that I don't like to post this, but I've been wondering:

If I want to start a grapple with a creature and want to avoid the AoO during the grapple, can I provoke it prior to the grapple attack with my MEA?

Put differently, a fighter wants to start a grapple with another fighter. He takes such a MEA that the other fighter gets an AoO against him. After the MEA, the first fighter takes his attack action to start a grapple.

Does the other fighter now get an AoO (asuming he only gets one per round) ???

It would have the advantage that the grapple attack would not fail, because of damage delt with the AoO after a successful grapple attack.

Thx

hong

WotC's bitch
The grapple could still fail, because you could miss on your initial touch attack. This tactic would negate the AoO normally provoked by a grapple, though.

drnuncheon

Explorer
Neverwinter Knight said:
Hi folks,

there are SO MANY post for AoO that I don't like to post this, but I've been wondering:

If I want to start a grapple with a creature and want to avoid the AoO during the grapple, can I provoke it prior to the grapple attack with my MEA?

Sure. You provoke him, he takes the strike, and then you move in and grapple him while he's wide open from trying to whack you. No problem with rules or concept.

J

Trellian

Explorer
And if you're already injured, you can provoke him by quaffing a healing potion in advance, curing some of the hit points you could lose if he hits you..

Madfox

First Post
It is standard tactic in my group, though most of the time it reserved for the fighter to provoke an AOO so that the cleric can quitely cast a cure spell or a wounded fellow can run away and do something else. Of course, now and then they meet somebody with combat reflexes and get a nasty surprise. Before you say it, it is a house rule amongst our group that with combat reflexes you can get multiple AOO on one opponent, as long as the oppertunities are different.

Uller

Adventurer
Of course, your target doesn't HAVE to take the AoO. It is kind of a classic fient/attack manuever. If he doesn't by your fient, then he remains on guard enough to still get an AoO for your grapple attempt.

Arkham

First Post
I always like to use the example of two wrestlers.
Standing in the ring, circling each other, moving through
each other's threatened area to try to provoke an AoO.

First one to take the AoO gets grappled by the other...

Standard, good tactic.

Remove ads