D&D 5E Psionics in Tasha

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
3e edition was 3e, and has no relevance to 5e. In 5e spell components serve as indicators that a spell is being cast. Don't use the word "displays" if it bothers you, but in 5e the rules are perfectly clear: a spell with no components is invisible.
Incorrrecto!!! As I am arguing for 3e type displays for 5e psionics, 3e has ALL the relevance here.

glass

(he, him)
Good, I wouldn't want a player who throws their toys out of the pram if an encounter doesn't go the way they expect. My players enjoy being surprised.
I enjoy being surprised. That is very much not what we were talking about. We were talking about you deliberately not mentioning glowing exposed brains on cranium rats, so you could pass the rats of as background colour and pull a "but you didn't specifically ask about the rats" later. I sincerely hope that this is something you came up with because it suits your argument in this thread rather than something you inflicted on actual players. If it is genuinely the latter then I suspect that your players were not as happy with it as you thought, and just kept their mouths shut because it wasn't worth blowing up the game over. And you have already indicated that you react to any player disatisfaction by indicating the door.

But I am not going to be making a six-hour round trip to sit at your table even if you were the best GM in the world, so your players' satisfaction or lack thereof is your problem not mine.

_
glass.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
It doesn't, though. That's what you aren't getting. You can't re-fluff a 100gp pearl as a 100gp smell.

What spell requires a 100gp pearl?

For the expensive components, PF went: "When a spell calls for an expensive material component, a psychic spellcaster can instead use any item with both significant meaning and a value greater than or equal to the spell’s component cost. For example, if a spiritualist wanted to cast raise dead to bring her dead husband back from the grave, she could use her 5,000 gp wedding ring as the spell’s material component. " (They got rid of all of the non-expensive ones for the psychic spells).

I enjoy being surprised. That is very much not what we were talking about. We were talking about you deliberately not mentioning glowing exposed brains on cranium rats
I deliberately didn't mention the too small to see and not glowing exposed brains because they where not something the characters would plausibly have noticed. Have you seen rats in a sewer? How much attention did you pay to the details?
, so you could pass the rats of as background colour and pull a "but you didn't specifically ask about the rats" later.
I didn't need to say it, my players realised they hadn't paid enough attention to the rats by themselves.
then I suspect that your players were not as happy with it as you thought
D&D is a game with mimics, trappers, doppelgangers, people possessed by intellect devourers and all manner of other hidden threats. If you don't like "gotchas" you are playing the wrong game.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
What spell requires a 100gp pearl?

For the expensive components, PF went: "When a spell calls for an expensive material component, a psychic spellcaster can instead use any item with both significant meaning and a value greater than or equal to the spell’s component cost. For example, if a spiritualist wanted to cast raise dead to bring her dead husband back from the grave, she could use her 5,000 gp wedding ring as the spell’s material component. " (They got rid of all of the non-expensive ones for the psychic spells).
Identify uses a pearl of at least 100g.

PF is just using one component for another, though. The point is to be rid of components.

Remove ads