Putting a positive spin on the PDF debacle

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Not to threadjack but, besides the main Dying Earth RPG book and the Primer of Practical Magic, what would you or anyone else feel are core or essential books to get of this RPG before it disapears?

The Compendium of Universal Knowledge is absolutely indespensible, as is the Scaum Valley Gazetteer, lest you find yourself at the bottom of a wild whophlum pit with nothing but a bit of mouldy cheese in your pocket and a swarm of nasty green things nipping at your heels. While it's true that a good tri-cornered hat can get you out of many predicaments, this is not one of them! Do yourself a favor and pick up these vaunted guides post haste!

Last edited:

conanb

First Post
I support this idea 100%.

Just bought three books from Goodman Games. You can never have too many monsters as a DM:

Critter Cache 2: Prehistoric Beasts
Critter Cache 3: Animals & Beasts
Critter Cache 4: Fey Folk

All 4E monsters. Each about 4.99, Total $14.97 for a bunch of new monsters.

Long live RPGNow.

roguerouge

First Post
I'm already a two-fold subscriber at Paizo, use them for my hard copy purchases, and I purchase through this site for pdfs. I also visit the local-owned gaming store in my town every two months or so and pick through their non-4e selections.

Xyxox

Hero
Just picked up two Green Ronin titles in the Mutants & Masterminds line through the EN World PDF Store:

Wild Cards
All In

I will be picking up hard covers, too, not to mentino PDFs and hard covers of the core books for MM. I picked these up because I just got the 19th volume in the Wild Cards series and have been reading the entire run.

aboyd

Explorer
I wanted to thank everyone posting in this thread:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/genera...-games-adventures-worth-getting-avoiding.html

...because it led to me purchasing a bunch of Necromancer stuff. I got the Mother of All Encounter Tables (so far, meh), Trouble at Durbenford, Grey Citadel, The Vault of Larin Karr, and The Book of Taverns (actually pretty OK for a silly thing that not many DMs would buy -- I really like the tavern with a fighting ring built around an extraplanar portal). I also got En World's "Tournaments, Fairs, and Taverns." I'm liking the rules for races, which I might adapt for chase scenes, too. I kinda hoped for better work on the games of chance, though. There's a Pathfinder module called "Shadow in the Sky" which has a couple pages on gambling, and manages to cram in 4 good games with the odds explained. And those games are fun for everyone at the table. So I hoped for as much with the En World PDF. Didn't quite get what I wanted out of it yet, but happily I've only skimmed it. I'm hoping that as I read it in detail, good things become apparent.

Thanks to all the companies for putting their stuff on sale. Enjoy my money. I know I'll enjoy the modules!

Voadam

Legend
Not to threadjack but, besides the main Dying Earth RPG book and the Primer of Practical Magic, what would you or anyone else feel are core or essential books to get of this RPG before it disapears?

I am interested in picking up some of these. They do sell the hardcopy books at Paizo also (although quite a few are currently unavailable - don't know if that means they will be available again before the end of April or not). However, I prefer .pdf's nowadays so I'll probably get them at RPGNow.

Couldn't say, I've only recently got them and only looked in the core, the Primer, and EPS 6 (which has a tiny article on d20 DE rules).

I did also get the Turjan book (designed to emphasize the darker, more 1e D&Desque feel of the Turjan books) the demons book (I love demon sourcebooks) the Compendium (both a monster book and world fact book), and the region and city sourcebooks.

I'm pretty tempted to see how the modules are done, adventures focusing on rogues with witty repartee seem intriguing and they have a whole trilogy adventure path for Cudgel level, as well as the Turjan level dungeonesque adventure.

The archmage concept of focusing on prestige among fellow mages does not interest me, though the sourcebook info on the existing archmages, the witches, powerful creatures, and the archmage warriors sounds good. The Cudgel one has lots of people highly recommending it as a fantastically fun grab bag for low level magic shenanigans.

The XPS's look like a good dragon/dungeon magazine with lots of stuff including a gygax article on Vance's influence on D&D in #2. I liked the Monte Cook one dealing with basically the same topic from a different perspective that is in #6.

CaptainTrips

Explorer
I spent about $20 on old Judges Guild PDFs at RPGNow.

Then a few days later I spent $60 on Pathfinder products at my FLGS after getting rid of my D&D 4e stuff (PHB, DMG, FRCS, FRPG, H1, H2, H3) at Half Price Books (which financed the Pathfinder purchase).

WotC has made my purchasing decisions a little easier. I still have lots of things to choose from, but now I won't waste time thinking about spending money on any WotC products (print or electronic).

Thanks WotC!

Remove ads