D&D General Quaint and curious monsters of forgotten core

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Most of 4E's monsters left me cold, due to the lack of lore
😮

Maybe we have very different priorities, in terms of what lore is helpful, but they had quite a lot of lore.
Deepspawn (Monstrous Manual)
A monster which completely justifies the classic, randomly generated dungeon crawl. What's not to like?
I think Jerry Holkins used a variant of these in the Aquisitions Inc C Team game, as part of the Wandering Crypt.

Omand

Hero
I liked Phantom Fungus from 3E. A four-legged plant creature with tongues like Ropers to grab PCs; plus they are invisible!

Only a CR3 creature in 3E, so could be used for low level parties. I had fun with them several times in adventures. I should probably try to transfer them to 5E.

Cheers :)

1644728589719.png

Aurumvorax

JEB

Legend
My setting includes bebiliths, derro, howlers, morghs, yeth hounds (all 3rd ed. MM) and brown dragons, giant bloodworms, gibberlings, gloomwings, hangman trees, and tabaxi (from 2nd ed. MM).
Any memorable ways you used mohrgs or gloomwings? Gloomwings always seemed neat.

Also particularly interested in how you used giant bloodworms or gibberlings. Always appreciate seeing Fiend Folio veterans!

EDIT: Honestly, I'm kind of surprised gibberlings haven't returned in 5E, especially with them being a Realms monster staple after their first appearance.

Last edited:

Remove ads