• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Question about Sniping

Yeoman

First Post
If I'm successfully hidden and make a successful sniping attack the target, is the target denied his dexterity bonus? I've blanked on the answer, guess there was too much partying yesterday. :)

Goolpsy

First Post
Then a quick question from me..

If your hidden either through hide, or invisibility...
Is the enemy's dex bonus denied through out all all your attacks?

Would a Invisible Rogue be able to get Sneak attack on all attacks made that turn?
Or is the enemy only Denied his acc on the first Shot?

mikebr99

Explorer
Goolpsy said:
Then a quick question from me..

If your hidden either through hide, or invisibility...
Is the enemy's dex bonus denied through out all all your attacks?

Would a Invisible Rogue be able to get Sneak attack on all attacks made that turn?
Or is the enemy only Denied his acc on the first Shot?
Well... that really depends.

Sniping is a full attack action... which only allows one attack.

Hide is at least a move equiv. action, so that also only allows one attack.

Invisibility disappears after the 1st attack, so only one can be a SA.

Imp. invisibility will work with all your attacks though...

Mike

dcollins

Explorer
Yeoman said:
If I'm successfully hidden and make a successful sniping attack the target, is the target denied his dexterity bonus? I've blanked on the answer, guess there was too much partying yesterday. :)

Personally, I rule "no" on this issue. The rules only specifically say that for invisibility (which I presume allows the attacker to position themselves in some open area to hit an unusually vulnerable spot).

Felix

Explorer
mikebr99 said:
Sniping is a full attack action...
I must have missed this; I was unaware that "Sniping" was a game term and not just the commonly used word for shooting from a hidden location. "Sniping" is an action now?

Invisibility disappears after the 1st attack, so only one can be a SA.
Unless, of course, your target is flat-footed, in which case all the attacks will be SA; generally flat-footedness will only happen on the first round of combat however, so if you're a sniper, you'd want a high inish mod so you can fire during the suprise round, and then keep plugging away for a full-attack before they can react.

Thanee

First Post
Sniping is explained under the Hide skill.

It's not a full-attack action, it's a standard action (attack) and a move action (hide).

Bye
Thanee

mikebr99

Explorer
Felix said:
I must have missed this; I was unaware that "Sniping" was a game term and not just the commonly used word for shooting from a hidden location. "Sniping" is an action now?
You did... p. 76 of 3.5 phb.

Sniping: If you’ve already successfully hidden at least 10 feet from your target, you can make one ranged attack, then immediately hide again. You take a –20 penalty on your Hide check to conceal yourself after the shot.
Mike

Remove ads