Question on alignment

Oofta

Legend
There is no one definition or use of alignment. So here's how I view it.

One theory of how people view the world is that they see the world based on experience and feedback. It's why we look at clouds and see smiley faces or dogs (the technical term is pareidolia). We see patterns because it helps us interpret the world and react to it in an appropriate manner.

Which does not mean that everyone views the world the same way. Two people may see the exact same thing and come to different conclusions. I may see a puppy in the clouds, you may see a clown. One person may see a cruel man beating his innocent wife, another may see a guy being strong and regretfully punishing his wife for her indiscretions. Another may just see the strong exercising their right to enforce their will on others.

So alignment is just a simplified version of that. How does someone view the world and how do they interpret it? A lawful person may see the universe as a clockwork mechanism where everything has it's place. A chaotic person may recognize order, but not see anything natural about it and doesn't think order is inherently better than chaos. A good person has empathy and tries to not harm innocents. An evil person may view others as tools or objects, but put little value in what other people think or feel other than how it will affect them.

Which is all broad brush-strokes and my way of saying: if it makes sense to you and your DM it works. Alignment is only as important as you make it.

I

Immortal Sun

Sure, in the same sense that you can have a corrupt system but still have good cops trying to do the right thing. In fact this probably defines the vast majority of LG paladins.

Unless you're of a specific class. Then you need to adhere to your diety's alignment as closely as the rules allow.

But that's the difference between role-play and game mechanics.

And yes, you can also have a character who obeys their master's rules above the rules of the land and still be considered LG, since that basically defines much of Japanese history.

But at the end of the day, your DM is the arbiter of law and chaos, good and evil in your system. So while theoretically anything is possible, and philosophically there's great ground for debate, the final answer is: Ask your DM.

aco175

Legend
Sounds kind of like Star Wars where the Emperor has all the stormtroopers raised to obey orders and act loyal to uphold the law. There is a lot of places to go from there, like would the troopers consider themselves good and lawful. I would think they would, but the rest of society may not. What about when they rebel and kill all the jedi, this is following orders and the law since the republic voted for it, or should they now consider themselves lawful and evil, or does society think they are now LE where 10 minutes before they were LG.

What about the emperor himself and societies attitude about him, same thing.

Shiroiken

Legend
Probably easiest if the LG character is oblivious to the masters selfish tendencies. He could easily deceive the naive LG character (make it your flaw). The master could convince him that the government is actually evil, and his actions are beneficial for the greater good. This also creates an interesting RP situation when the character is confronted by the true of the master's deceit.

Bawylie

A very OK person
Sure. Lots of people have all kinds of relationships (working, romantic, familial) with folks who have very different values and ethoi.

It can be a relationship colored by conflict, passion, or even cool, dispassionate consideration.

By way of example I employ a small group of people. We all have varied political, religious, philosophical, romantic, ideas, values, and experiences. But we work together quite well.

Or take this board. I disagree with a LOT of people on how best to play this imaginary game of “elf-time with dice.” Some feel very strongly that it should be “dice-time with elves.” But I still have productive discussions with, and take advice from, some of the very people with whom I most often clash.

So can it work? Sure.

5ekyu

Hero
"Can a character be considered Lawful Good and follow a master who is Chaotic Neutral?"

yes - in a game where the agreed upon aspects of the different alignments fit this notion. otherwise, no.

Even when they referenced the same definition text, i have never once seen two different tables with the same in-play alignment definitions in play.

So, consult your GM, check your setting and tip your waitress.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
I just came here to say "Being 'Chaotic Neutral' does not give you a valid reason to do whatever you want."

Now someone please invent a time machine so I can travel back to the 80's to tell this to 75% of the people I gamed with. :angel:

My house rule is adding allegiance (from d20 Modern)(ex: religion, country, family, clan, tribe, guild, code of honor, race) because groups need a common goals to survive. I allow allegiances with opposite alignment (for example a chaotic cop who breaks rules but defend law and order, or a evil zealot who tries to defend good goals), and powers with alignment key can hurt enemies with same alignment but different allegiance (for example a drow cleric vs a orc shaman).

For me chaotic means to be attuned to nature or primal forces.

Al2O3

Explorer
Seems to me that Lawful Good or Lawful Neutral might fit your character well. Maybe check if Paladins have some note about lawful Paladins of chaotic gods.

The selfish tendencies of the master sounds like enough for me to categorise him as evil. Maybe neutral evil? It probably doesn't really matter for the personality of the master and just says more about how I view the alignments.

Remove ads