Question Re:Half Elf At-Wills as Encounter

SSquirrel

Explorer
So the Half Elf has a racial ability to snag an at-will from another class and use it as an encounter power. Let's say I chose Eldritch Blast from the Warlock. There is a special note that says anytime you are allowed to make a basic ranged attack you can substitute this power. Does that still apply if you are a half elf or does that only work if it's still an at-will power? A Protecting Paladin who has a surprise ranged ability doesn't sound bad. Otherwise I'm thinking Sacred Flame.

Thoughts?

KahnyaGnorc

First Post
I'd say you can, just only once per encounter. There are encounter powers that can be used as basic attacks (like in a charge), so it isn't only for at-wills.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
It doesn't have to be at-will for you to use it in place of a basic attack.

But you still can only use it in place of a basic attack once per encounter.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
There is a Heroic feat that allows you to use the Dilettante power an additional time in the encounter, provided you chose a melee power and are using it in a charge or in place of an MBA. It's called Effortless Dilettante (Dragon 385, p 68).

It is worded a little ambiguously though. It isn't 100% clear to me if it allows you to use the power once per encounter in addition to your normal 1/encounter or instead of. I parse it as in addition.

It also explicitly allows you to use in in place of an MBA when charging or making an OA, even if the power is not normally usable in that way. It's pretty neat, at least until Versatile Master becomes available to you at 11th.

Remove ads