D&D 5E Questions regarding a Noble Bard

fba827

Adventurer
I think a better question might be .....
Look at the list of skills presented and which ones seem interesting to YOU and the type of character you want to portray. Because we could make assumptions as to what is 'useful' but really it depends entirely on what your DM is like since your DM may favor a style that uses scenarios for some skills more than others. So it is a guessing game in terms of usefulness unless you already know your dm's style. So that just leaves fun and character to determine what you want to do with your character.

Anyway that's just my opinion.

KingsRule77

First Post
Thank u for our tip Akr 71
So I can change things or make some influence with my performance ?
Since I am a high elf I will get +1 I

But may I ask why did you choose I over W ? I was thinking Insight can come in handy to when I am about to persuade or investigate a matter, to know if I am getting the truth or not and its based on W so does Perception.

About re-rolling .... Do you think my other rolls are not good enough ? Should I really do it ? 18 is more rare than 5 I think

Go with the five. That's gonna be rad.

Inoeex

First Post
To late! No self-respecting prince of the elves would go with a lowly bard. Wizard all the way!! ;)

hahahaha !!
I was thinking the same, then I talked to my DM and he said all classes have equal value and he mentioned that Arwen in Lord of the Rings is a Bard .... then I shut up : |

Staffan

Legend
PHB descibes Jack of All Trades this way :
Starting at 2nd level you can add half your proficiency bonus to any ability check you make that does not already include your proficiency bonus.

it does not mention anything about untrained skills.

I did not know we could add proficiency bonus t our skills ... Could you possibly tell me how much bonus/points do we have in the skills that we choose, by default ? Lets say I get Persuasion and History through my Noble background, how much points or proficiency bonuses do I have there now at level 1 ?

Here's how it works: There are three types of success rolls in the game: ability checks, attack rolls, and saving throws. All three work similarly: roll 1d20, add the appropriate ability modifier, and (if you're proficient in that kind of activity) your proficiency bonus. Skill checks are a subset of ability checks - that's why they're always written as "roll Charisma (Persuasion)" rather than just "Persuasion".

If you have the skills Persuasion and History from your Noble background, you add your proficiency bonus to any Charisma (Persuasion) or Intelligence (History) check you make. So if you have Charisma 16 (bonus +3) and proficiency bonus +2 (for being 1st level), you would have a total of +5 to Charisma (Persuasion) checks. If you were instead trying to scare someone off you would roll Charisma (Intimidation), and since you're not proficient in Intimidation that would just add the +3 from Charisma.

Once you get Jack of All Trades, you get to add half your proficiency bonus to any ability check that wouldn't normally add it. So it doesn't make you any better at Persuasion - you're already proficient in that. But you do get to add half your proficiency bonus to that Intimidation check we mentioned earlier, so now that's at +4 instead of +3. This also applies to ability checks that normally don't fall under any skill at all, for example Initiative checks (which are Dexterity checks), or the the contested Intelligence check used for the detect thoughts spell. However, it does not apply to attack rolls or saving throws, because those are not ability checks.

At 3rd level, you also get Expertise, which lets you double your proficiency bonus for two skills. Now, if you choose Persuasion as one of your expertise skills, you would add an additional +2 (proficiency bonus) to Charisma (Persuasion) checks, for a total of +7. Now that's some smooth talking.

Staffan

Legend
iMO you can't be a Bard without Performance. Your whole schtick is that you manipulate the Weave of Magic through channeling musical notes or spoken words (hell, even dance if you want a really hard roleplaying job), so being able to play an instrument or sing or chant or rap or freestyle poetry is basically how you do your magic thing - so I'd have it but as mentioned before you don't need an instrument beyond your voice.

I think a bard without Performance could work. Performance is how good you are at entertaining people with your music. There are plenty of technically proficient musicians who still can't put on a good show. In the real world, I expect a good portion of classical musicians or studio musicians fall into this category. You also have the opposite - people who can't play two chords but still enthrall audiences with their presence and attitude (proficient in Perform, but no instrument proficiency).

The bard might know part of the Music of Creation, and how to use music to heal wounds, harm minds, or craft illusions, but that doesn't mean he belongs on a stage.

Inoeex

First Post
Here's how it works: There are three types of success rolls in the game: ability checks, attack rolls, and saving throws. All three work similarly

Now I am so clear was running water ! thank u so much !!!

I think a bard without Performance could work. Performance is how good you are at entertaining people with your music. There are plenty of technically proficient musicians who still can't put on a good show. In the real world, I expect a good portion of classical musicians or studio musicians fall into this category. You also have the opposite - people who can't play two chords but still enthrall audiences with their presence and attitude (proficient in Perform, but no instrument proficiency).

The bard might know part of the Music of Creation, and how to use music to heal wounds, harm minds, or craft illusions, but that doesn't mean he belongs on a stage.

Yes I was thinking the same, Performance is the closest skill to a Bard but .... kinda pointless unless DMs make some creative house rules for it.
Look at Rogue and Stealth, Stealth is the closest skill to a Rogue and they gain so many bonuses from it. If I were a GM I would give "Charisam +" to a Bard temporarily after does Performance. With no bonus over Performance .... Its just a waste

fba827

Adventurer
Now I am so clear was running water ! thank u so much !!!

Yes I was thinking the same, Performance is the closest skill to a Bard but .... kinda pointless unless DMs make some creative house rules for it.
Look at Rogue and Stealth, Stealth is the closest skill to a Rogue and they gain so many bonuses from it. If I were a GM I would give "Charisam +" to a Bard temporarily after does Performance. With no bonus over Performance .... Its just a waste

My group loves performance, I think they'd cry if they heard anyone call it a waste.

It's about play style.

If you're more interested in the combat aspects of what you can do then sure it's considerably less useful. But if you like the social interaction parts if the game then perform can come up a lot.

Inoeex

First Post
My group loves performance, I think they'd cry if they heard anyone call it a waste.

It's about play style.

If you're more interested in the combat aspects of what you can do then sure it's considerably less useful. But if you like the social interaction parts if the game then perform can come up a lot.

May I ask what your group do with that skill ? The book has mentioned that you can make money and entertain people, it does not make sense for a Prince to entertain people or even attempt to make money that way. But I would like to hear what your group is doing with this skill if you dont mind : )

Inoeex

First Post
On our second session, I attempted to play my Lyre on the stage. There is annual crowning celebration for the king. I played my Lyre and I made some little fire works with my Minor Illusion, then people started to call me clow, some people were shouting "Good job Clown"

I was like what the hell ? My mother as Queen of Moon Evles and my Father as Kind of High Evles ( they are different races in our game, and Moon Evles are as powerful as Drows, you have to roll to play as one of them ) they did not do anything.

Earlier that day I asked a guard to deliver my ring to my father and he stole it, how much guts does someone needs to have to steal a ring from a prince? while he knew I can track him, I know where he was guarding, I can report him.

And one more thing, an old gipsy lady came to look at my hand, she grabbed my hand by force while I was reluctant. Then the Villian of the game speaked to me in my mind " dont be so smart " right after that the old lady died.
And the captain of the guards arrested me, they accused me of murder while I was unarmed and I only had my royal dress on me for the celebration. I told him that he cannot do it to me, to the prince of elves .... They arrested me and my father came to free me, and human captain made rules over my freedom that I cannot leave the town without informing this captain dude ..... How can a human guard has any rules or conditions the King/Lord of High Elves? Arrest the son of The Queen of all the elf kinds, the guardian of the tree of life ?

The noble background on page 135 of PHB has given me a feather " Position and Privilege " it says :

" People are inclined to think the best of you. You are welcome in high society, and people assume you have the right to be wherever you are. The common folk make every effort to accommodate you and avoid your displeasure, and other poeple of high birth treat you as a member of the same social sphere. You can secure an audience with a local noble if you need to"

But in the game I am treating like a common guy, they call me race " Long Eared " into my face, instead of Elf.
I even dont have the right to enter the royal Dwarf tent to talk with their king ..... But should not I ? I am the second hair to the High Elf's throne.
It was midnight, I was walking in the camp area and a guard came and told me that a walking man in the hour of night is suspicious, he asked me to leave or to sit and not to move. I told him " I am here to enjoy the fresh air, we Elves only need 4 hours to meditate and I dont think that you are talking properly to the Prince of Evles, since when walking is a suspicious act ? " He said if I disobey him he would arrest me : |
How dare a mere guard talk to a prince like that ?

I am thinking what does it exactly have I provided with as a Noble ?

Last edited:

Remove ads