D&D 5E Questions regarding a Noble Bard

pukunui

Legend
That sounds really bizarre. Almost like your DM doesn't know anything about your character. It also sounds like he's railroading you pretty hard. Have you tried talking to your DM about your concerns outside of the game session?

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
It sounds to me like the DM and the players have different ideas about how this world works. (Is your DM a big fan of Dragon Age, by chance? I'm wondering if that's where the "elves get no respect" idea is coming from.) Anyway, it sounds like you need to have a calm chat with the DM about the world where this game is set. Tell him (her?) that when you made this character, you expected that certain things would be true, based on what's in the book. If the DM doesn't agree that those things will apply in this game, then say you'd like to change your character's background to something you like better.

Remember the DM does have the right to make the world however he/she wants. BUT, it's also the DM's responsibility to tell the players ahead of time how the campaign world is going to work, so that they can make characters they will enjoy playing.

Good luck!

Inoeex

First Post
It sounds to me like the DM and the players have different ideas about how this world works. (Is your DM a big fan of Dragon Age, by chance? I'm wondering if that's where the "elves get no respect" idea is coming from.) Anyway, it sounds like you need to have a calm chat with the DM about the world where this game is set. Tell him (her?) that when you made this character, you expected that certain things would be true, based on what's in the book. If the DM doesn't agree that those things will apply in this game, then say you'd like to change your character's background to something you like better.

Remember the DM does have the right to make the world however he/she wants. BUT, it's also the DM's responsibility to tell the players ahead of time how the campaign world is going to work, so that they can make characters they will enjoy playing.

I know but if you want to change something this big should not give another thing to your player with equal value ?
He could told me "The Noble Feat is not available in this game because other races hates Elves or are being jealous of them. I will let you choose another background's feature if your like "

No, unfortunately I cant talk about everything with him, at this very moment I have a much bigger problem than this and its nerfing my class with changes in Proficiency Bonus system and its effects on Jack of All Trades :/

That sounds really bizarre. Almost like your DM doesn't know anything about your character. It also sounds like he's railroading you pretty hard. Have you tried talking to your DM about your concerns outside of the game session?

U know I am wondering if Humans and Dwarves or gnomes are not respecting me due to my "background feature" who will be ? Orcs and Goblins ? Or Bears and Dire Wolves in the forest ? :S

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
I know but if you want to change something this big should not give another thing to your player with equal value ?
Absolutely yes.

He could told me "The Noble Feat is not available in this game because other races hates Elves or are being jealous of them. I will let you choose another background's feature if your like "
I think that would make a lot of sense, as long as you find a feature you can both agree on. The Entertainer one might be a good compromise (free room and board if you perform is a nice benefit if you're going to be traveling).

And at the very least, other Elves should respect your character's rank!

Inoeex

First Post
I talked with my DM, he said the Noble Feature only applies on my own race, only among evles.

PHB, Page 135
Feature : Position of Privilege
People are inclined to think the best of you. You are welcome in high society, and people assume you have the right to be wherever you are. The common folk make every effort to accommodate you and avoid your displeasure, and other poeple of high birth treat you as a member of the same social sphere. You can secure an audience with a local noble if you need to

It did not mention anything specific about what kind of people, thats why I presume its about all the races of the same alignment. If I am the Prince of Elves, common Human folks, or Dwarves does not respect me? I understand that due to short age of Humans comparing to Evles they might not even know who I am. But what if I introduce myself, a Human innkeeper will not do his/her best to accommodate me ?

I am asking for your opinion, because as I said its my 1st time playing this, I have my own interpretations.
I would like to know how it really applies? Is it race restricted ? Cuz I am thinking, well obviously Elves will respect me .... It does not even need to be mentioned in the book.

JohnLynch

Explorer
This is very much an "expect table variation" scenario. I personally wouldn't rule it as only applying to your own kingdom and I think that's the most restrictive interpretation possible, but I can understand a DM ruling it as such. Personally if a player ever took something and I introduced houserules or my interpretation did not match the player's I would allow a rebuild or a new character. If I felt the player was being quite creative in their interpretation (i.e. not acting in good faith) I would sit down with them to make sure that we were on the same page for their new build/character. But I would definitely allow a rebuild in this scenario.

Inoeex

First Post
I would allow a rebuild or a new character..

But there was a roll over social rank, D100 roll, I got 95 and I become the second heir to the throne.
I can have it again, would u not allow your player to stick with his class or every other things but to change his background ? Because its DM duty to inform the player about his house rules which have made changes on PHB, if I were a DM I would inform my players about all my house rules that have changes stuff in PHB, before they build their characters.

JohnLynch

Explorer
But there was a roll over social rank, D100 roll, I got 95 and I become the second heir to the throne.
I can have it again, would u not allow your player to stick with his class or every other things but to change his background ?
As I said I would allow a rebuild which means they keep everything about the character's story, however they change whatever mechanical aspects they want to. That said, if you change your background that means you change the background feature. You still might be second in charge, but you won't gain the mechanical benefits of being a noble. You can't have it both ways.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
I am asking for your opinion, because as I said its my 1st time playing this, I have my own interpretations.
I would like to know how it really applies? Is it race restricted ? Cuz I am thinking, well obviously Elves will respect me .... It does not even need to be mentioned in the book.
As I said above, the DM has the right to decide how the different races interact in his/her world. But he really, really, really should have told you ahead of time that other races in his world have no respect for Elves. That's the kind of thing that a person who wants to play an Elf needs to know about the game.

Also, just between you and me, I think your DM was a little childish in saying that nobody except an Elf would respect a member of the Elvish royal family. It would be more realistic for others to treat you well just because they don't want to stir up a diplomatic incident, even if for no other reason. It sounds like your DM either is not very subtle or was overly afraid that a character of high social rank would try to boss the rest of the PCs around.

Last edited:

akr71

Hero
... It sounds like your DM either is not very subtle or was overly afraid that a character of high social rank would try to boss the rest of the PCs around.

I think it would be completely in character for a noble elf to boss everyone around and could make for some fun roll-play at the table. The other characters don't have to obey, after all...

It sounds to me like this DM's sole mission is to frustrate and annoy the players for the sake of his/her entertainment. It is doubtful that I would last long at this game table.

Remove ads