Quests From The Infinite Staircase

D&D 5E Quests From The Infinite Staircase

I have the Goodman Games version of Lost City, but it always felt too clunky to use at the table. (Also I think they made Zargon too powerful) So I am curious about the differences. I don't have much experience with any of the others.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I have the Goodman Games version of Lost City, but it always felt too clunky to use at the table. (Also I think they made Zargon too powerful) So I am curious about the differences. I don't have much experience with any of the others.
The OAR books aren't very wields for use out of the book at table, but good material for careful prep.

it's not a "planar" adventure as we'd understand it today
These are all pre-Planescape. At the time of publication a planar adventure was hopping over to Gamma World or Boot Hill, not galivanting around the Great Wheel cosmology. Much more like the Marvel multiverse that is familiar to modern D&D players.

Last edited:

but the other 3 seem to have the reputation of being the harbingers of what would become the norm after Ravenloft
Yes, Pharaoh and Ravenloft belong together, as movie/literature pastiches (you could stick Dungeonland/Magic Mirror in with them). Aside from the usual mummies, Pharaoh isn't particularly horror-ish, but, shorn of what came later, neither was Ravenloft.

KoolMoDaddy-O

Explorer
Weeeeell, I guess under today's cosmology, Crystal Cave counts as planar travel to the Feywild. But it's really just going to a small pocket dimension that contains the dungeon, which is kind of a fairy tale out of time.

When Beyond the Crystal Cave was updated to 4e it was explicitly set in the Feywild, which makes me think this version will consolidate both previous renditions.

Full article from D&D Beyond on this

Front and back cover too

3b12d45bd8c5d117b2bfcca31b9ba277_1920_KR.png
6ce8bbcea62e121fbf770b88f06e3326_1920_KR.png

Remove ads