Quests From The Infinite Staircase

D&D 5E Quests From The Infinite Staircase

TravDoc42

Getting a hang of this!
Via Roll20: Link!
Screenshot_20240320_143421_Samsung Internet.jpg

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Alright, that is quite the curious mix: one Basic module, 5 AD&D. Two previously reprinted by Goodman Games as OAR 3 And 4.

By PC Level:

• B3: The Lost City, 1-3 (huge surprise, this is a wild choice)
  • UK 4: Whe. A Star Falls, 3-5 (deep cut, not too familiar myself)
  • UK1: Beyond the Crystal Cave, 4-7 (heard of this by reputation, too)
  • I3: Pharoh, 5-7 (Not going to lie, thought this would be in a bigger book with I4 & I6 someday ala Ghists of Saltmarsh)
  • S4: Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth, 6-10 (though the convention tournament is advertised as Level 9)
  • S3: Expedition to the Barrier Peaks, 8-12

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I am literally in the middle of prepping UK4 - When a Star Falls for my current in-person game!
And Beyond the Crystal Cave - another UK module is also great. I do wish they'd included UK7 - Dark Clouds Gather, which is my personal favorite and the kind of adventure I can totally see fitting into FR or GH

pukunui

Legend
For those like myself who are unfamiliar with (some of) these adventures, here are summaries based on info from wikipedia:

Beyond the Crystal Cave: An AD&D 1e adventure set in Greyhawk which sees the PCs hired to save a couple who eloped and fled into the Cave of Echoes. The PCs must resolve the secret of the cave to reach a magical garden where it is always summer. The adventure is noteworthy for rewarding players for resolving encounters non-violently.

Expedition to the Barrier Peaks: An AD&D 1e adventure written by Gary Gygax himself. In this adventure, the PCs explore a mysterious spaceship that crashed in Greyhawk's Barrier Peaks mountain range. The ship is filled with robots, laser guns, power armor, and all manner of strange creatures (including vegepygmies and a froghemoth). The adventure also involves collecting colored access cards to open restricted areas and the like.

Pharaoh: An AD&D 1e adventure written by the Hickmans of Ravenloft and Dragonlance fame. This one sees the PCs exiled into a desert after being falsely accused of a crime. They end up encountering the spirit of a dead Egyptian-style pharaoh who implores them to break into his supposedly thief-proof pyramid tomb and steal some things that will enable him to find eternal rest or something.

The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth: Another of Gary Gygax's AD&D 1e Greyhawk modules. This one sees the PCs as treasure hunters seeking the wealth of the archmage Iggwilv. During their search, they encounter a vampire.

The Lost City: This is a Basic D&D adventure written by Tom Moldvay. The PCs get lost in a sandstorm and discover the lost city of Cynidicea, where the inhabitants are degenerate drug addicts. The PCs explore a pyramid and fight an evil monster.

When a Star Falls: An AD&D 1e module in which the PCs search for a fallen star in the moors. They encounter svirfneblin and derro as they seek to give the star to its rightful owner.

TravDoc42

Getting a hang of this!
The Roll20 link has the following description:

"The Infinite Staircase spirals in a dreamlike expanse, with doors leading to fantastic realms. It's home to the noble genie Nafas, who hears wishes made throughout the multiverse and recruits heroes to fulfill them. These pleas summon adventurers to lost caverns suffused with planar energy, fairytale gardens in the Feywild, futuristic spaceships, and other wondrous locales."

The Lost Caverns are probably Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth, and the futuristic spaceships could be Expedition to the Barrier Peaks, but which one would fit "fairytale gardens in the Feywild"?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Huh.

Two OAR adventures (I recommend using @Dyson Logos' Barrier Peaks maps instead of the way-too-large-by-today's-standards TSR maps), two UK modules, and two other solid 1E adventures. No obvious planar links. Both Crystal Cave and the Lost City are for the same level ranges, originally, which is probably something they'll change.

After Ghosts of Saltmarsh, I had expected Pharoah to be the anchor for a similar desert-set product. Interesting to see it pop up now.

All of these are generally well liked modules, but all of them dated by today's standards.

Remove ads