Quick Draw and Threat Area...

Nifelhein

First Post
Okay, quick draw lets you draw a weapon as a free action, now consider that the character has a situation where an opponent causes an AoO in a square adjacent.

Would the character be allowed to take the longsword out of the scabbard and roll the attack?

The point is that while it seems perfectly reasonable it will allow a character with the quick draw feat to always threat an area around him. This fits the concept of the style of the "dead guard" or iajutsu, where the samurai learned to attack by taking the sword directly from its scabbard and then placed it again, but it also resumes the whole style in a single feat...

Okay, two weapon fighting does the same with the Niten technique, but it has penalties to its use.

Sharing thoughts only, as this has never been raised in my game table.

Diirk

First Post
No.

You don't threaten with no weapon out (unless you have natural attacks or improved unarmed strike) so no AoO. If you somehow do threaten and do get an AoO, you still can't draw it, because it isn't your turn so you can't use free actions.

Li Shenron

Legend
Exactly as Diirk says. An AoO is provoked only within a threaten area, before you draw the weapon you don't threaten any area.
You would threaten if you had another weapon or Improved Unarmed Strike, but in any case, an AoO is a single melee attack, not a single melee attack + free actions, therefore no free actions.

Darklone

Someone posted houserules some months ago with an improved quickdraw feat that allowed what you described... very stylish, he added some other stuff.

Thanee

First Post
I think that's the "not considered a melee attack" part. You do not threaten an area, unless you could make a melee attack into that area. In 3.0 it was pretty unclear, whether an untrained unarmed attack was considered melee or not, I suppose (hope ;)) they have cleared that up in 3.5.

Bye
Thanee

irdeggman

First Post
Inconsequenti-AL said:
I thought you still threatened a square with unskilled/unarmed combat? Even though you would draw an AOO from attacking? Did I miss something?

Nope, in 3.5 PHB "If you are unarmed, you don't normally threaten any squares and thus can't make AoO." It then goes on to describe 'armed' unarmed attacks, e.g., natural weapons or the IUA feat (or monk's ability))

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
Wow. That had gone completely over my head. Thanks for putting me right.

Bah! Havn't had a 3.0 > 3.5 change 'trip up' for a few weeks... was hoping I'd done with them (fat chance!).

JimAde

First Post
Thanee said:
You can only perform actions (even free actions) on your turn (unless you readied).

Bye
Thanee
I think this nicely describes Iaijutsu. If someone had a readied action (draw and attack if an AoO is provoked) I would let it fly. As a trained fighter you're supposed to be "always ready" which in game terms might mean having a readied action. People look at you funny if you walk around like that all the time, though :)

Remove ads