D&D 5E Quick weapons, how do they look?

Lanliss

Explorer
-snip-

For simplicity's sake, why not just have the use of an Atlatl increase the range of darts or javelins thrown with it to 80/320?

Sorry, I missed this earlier. I am playing around with different ideas to see how they turn out in actual play, hence the +damage -range set up.

I just went with my gut on this one, based on the rare bits I have read or seen it in use. I know 1) it uses large darts for ammo, 2) it adds quite a bit of force to those darts (though that can be represented just as easily by extra range as it can extra damage.) 3) One of my players might want to play a specific character who's focus is the Atlatl, and I want it to mean more than "you can throw these throwables slightly further", if that makes any sense.

Ganymede81

First Post
Why doesn't your player simply specialize in hurled weapons? Those already use strength and keep him out of melee.

Also, I'm not even quite sure I get the "Archer who's bad at archery" theme. That's like a "wizard that can't read."

Lanliss

Explorer
Why doesn't your player simply specialize in hurled weapons? Those already use strength and keep him out of melee.

Also, I'm not even quite sure I get the "Archer who's bad at archery" theme. That's like a "wizard that can't read."

More of a clumsy strong guy who envied archers. He failed to achieve any skill with normal bows, so he made one that used his strengths.

Ganymede81

First Post
More of a clumsy strong guy who envied archers. He failed to achieve any skill with normal bows, so he made one that used his strengths.

But now his thematic weakness is gone. He's now a strong guy who is really good at archery, and anything interesting about his backstory of being a clumsy oaf is stripped away.

That's like an alcoholic PC inventing a special beer that doesn't get you drunk.

discosoc

First Post
But now his thematic weakness is gone. He's now a strong guy who is really good at archery, and anything interesting about his backstory of being a clumsy oaf is stripped away.

That's like an alcoholic PC inventing a special beer that doesn't get you drunk.

I tried getting this point across as well, but gave up.

Lanliss

Explorer

His thematic weakness is a general lack of Dexterity. Since he is Ranger he cannot just load on some heavy armor and tank with the best of them, he has to hope he can stay out of the fight enough to actually make use of his bow. As I mentioned before, an AC of 9 will cause definite long term problems.

Lanliss

Explorer
I tried getting this point across as well, but gave up.

Here is your point, as I understand it. Please correct me if I am wrong. You think the player has basically "played" me, by convincing me that his STR bow is completely legit.

I know the player, he is not by any means a power gamer or dishonest. He gave me his reasons, and I believe him on them. He is looking to build a character rather than an optimized stat block, and the unique bow genuinely adds to his character, so I helped him out with it.

If you don't want to hear our honest opinions, why ask? Your ruling is perfectly fine and you don't have to justify your ruling. If it works at your table, go for it.

Lanliss

Explorer
It's not that I don't want to hear your opinions, I am simply making sure there is no misunderstanding of anyone's intent. As I said, this is very much a trial version, and I will be testing the other ideas you all provided, in time, and they were a good part of the reason for me starting this thread.

Just a reminder: it is easier to buff later than to nerf later. So start with something that is surely not overpowered. Your Bow looks like something that is a bit on the too good side. Maybe I am wrong, but if later a less kindly minded powergame takes that bow and abuses it, you won't like it. A d8 bow with short bow range should be good enough for a dwarven archer.

Split the Hoard

Split the Hoard
Negotiate, demand, or steal the loot you desire!

A competitive card game for 2-5 players
Remove ads