Race creation system reverse engineered and 38 example races in short form

DrWorm

First Post
I am a bit confused by the "Tiny" size damage rules. The Sprite in the MM deals regular longsword damage minus it's Str modifier and a short bow at normal damage as well. You talk about sizes a couple of times in the document, and in one place you acknowledge the MM damage, but also add that Tiny creatures do 1d2 damage with Tiny weapons. The other thing that confuses me is the whole always +0 thing with Str and Dex attacks and damage, which means that a PC Sprite will never be able to make use of it's abilities to improve (or worsen) it's melee/ranged attacks. I don't understand the need for this complication. It seems to me that a well placed hit from a bow (regardless of the damage die you use) should still improve the damage dealt.

Granted, extreme sizes lack a lot of clarification in the core rules, so there is not much for you to go on.

All and all I really like the document quite a bit.

Eubani

Legend
One could also fairly claim that one point either side is within an acceptable area of balance rather than everything having to hit an exact point total.

Last edited:

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
The Sprite in the MM deals regular longsword damage minus it's Str modifier and a short bow at normal damage as well.
... What?

qRfy90i.jpg

DrWorm

First Post
hmmm, I hadn't even considered that. I was clearly assuming that the damage mod would be added (since that is the case in 99% of other cases) regardless of how it was printed. You're right. My brain made a short-cut.

That does make me wonder why they have a +2 to hit, but that is probably more of a MM question than a question out this point system.

Duan'duliir

Devil of Chance
The +2 to hit would be their proficiency bonus.

I am going to see if there is a way to get the elf weapon training to equal 2 points while still keeping the drow weapon training and dwarf weapon training at their current points, but it could take a while.

Coronoides

First Post
Thanks. I've been busy and haven't been checking here or working on the system.
I have however been play testing. My campaign currently has a pixie, a sprite, a talking cormorant, a sea elf, and a thurse (9 foot giant) as regular players. The other 7 PCs are PHB races. So far (level 3) I haven't detected any major issues. No players have complained that another is overpowered.
The player of the cormorant rogue made very good use of his fly 50 to solve all kinds of problems. However, I *think* without spells and without the others helping setting up sneak attacks he was beginning to get tired of doing 1pt of beak damage. He's first on the scene but can't do much. Now third level he has taken arcane trickster and seems happier having more options.
So yeh, heads-up to those playing Tiny non-spellcasters as things stand your contribution to damage may be very impaired. Your place to shine will be use of your racial special traits. Does this need fixing? I'm not sure. As things stand the large amount of points freed up by being Tiny does provide lots of neat powers but some players may end up with characters they feel are hopeless in combat (at least for the first few levels) and therefore less fun to play.

Duan'duliir

Devil of Chance
Well, as far as I can tell it is inherently impossible to balance all the weapon training, unless I start making property costs unrealistic, like heavy being a serious negative modifier to the score of the weapon. I anyone wants, I can present what I got to before giving up (I ended up making the differences more severe).

Coronoides

First Post
I have priced the 13 races and variants in the SCAG with this system.
On average they are out by less than 4%

More stats
Mean average: 11.577
Median average: 12.00
Mode Average: 12.00
Standard Deviation: 2.77

Duergar 12, Ghostwise 12,
Half Elf variants: 10, 10, 8.5, 9.5, 10, 17, 8
Tiefling variants: 12, 16.75, 12, 12.75

Remove ads