• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Races with a Charisma bonus?

NewJeffCT

First Post
I was hoping to create a powerful sorcerer opponent for the PCs coming up (level 18-20 range)...

And, yes, the sorcerer would have allies, so would not be alone. But, I wanted to describe this guy as one of the great wielders of sorcery in the world and was thinking that a race that had a +2 or +4 to Charisma would be a logical place to start. Are there any out there? Especially looking for ones that are LA+0 or +1.

Or, if there are not many good choices there, what about cheap templates that would give you a CHA bonus?

Thanks

Elethiomel

First Post
The Chaos Gnome from Races of Stone has a +2 Cha bonus and a +1 LA. It even has Sorcerer as favoured class, and +1 caster level on spells with the [chaos] descriptor. Otherwise on the +1 LA / +2 CHA we have Catfolk who make excellent touch-attack blasters due to their +4 DEX, Aasimar who would make an excellent "breaking the stereotype" villain, and a few from Dragon magazines.

There's death-touched from Dragon magazine 313 who have a +4 CHA for +1 LA, which is pretty silly.

As for templates, there's always Draconic (which is one of the strongest +1 LA templates out there, as it gives +2 to all of strength, constitution and charisma, +1 natural armor, darkvision, low-light vision, some bonuses to skills and saves, and no negatives).

Theroc

First Post
Catfolk from 'RotW' (I assume Races of the Wild) have +4 dex, +2 cha according to crystalkeep. They also have +1 natural armor, bonus to listen and move silently, Lowlight vision and a 40' movement speed. +1 LA.

They also have no penalties.

Also, I don't know if your game is "WotC only" or not, but there was a Flamekin race made which can be downloaded in Enworld's download area. It has some vague parts, but it gives +2 cha, -2 int. This would likely require you to change some bits of the race to fit your campaign and balance it. I'm playtesting it in a PbP game on Enworld, but haven't had any details to see how effective or ineffective it is.

Those are the only two I can think of, besides the Drow, who are +2 LA, not within your parameters, or Pixie's, who are like +4 LA, again not within your parameters.

Shin Okada

Explorer
There are several races with +1 LA and +2 Cha, such as Aasimar or Catfolk (Races of Wild). They are +1 LA but basically +0 CR as a critter I guess.

Also, if you don't hesitate to make him a true monster, you can always pick up a monster with a lot of racial HDs and better CHA who DOES NOT cast spells as a sorcerer. Then, sorcerer class level is non-associated for him.

But be careful. That non-associated rule is often broken. You should be careful estimating the final CR of the resulted critter.

Ahnehnois

First Post
Spellscales (Races of the Dragon) are tailor-made sorcerers with +2 Cha, -2 Con, and +0 LA. I believe one type of Hellbred (Fiendish Codex II) is also +2 Cha, +2 Con, although those tend to be good they have interesting flavor and certainly can be an opponent.

There are a number of fey races. Jaebrin (MMV) are +2 Cha and +1 LA with some other enchantment-related abilities. Feytouched (Fiend Folio) are also +2 Cha, +1 LA, and are immune to mind-affecting. Uldras (Frostburn) have +2 Cha and +1 LA.

There might still be some I missed, but +0 LA and mental stat bonuses is exceedingly rare.

Animal

First Post
Jaebrin (MM V) get -2 STR, +2 CHA and a few other interesting abilities overall good for a sorcerer (favoured class is beguiler though). at the price of +1 LA.

Last edited:

NewJeffCT

First Post
thanks - Aasimar & Cat Folk are interesting ideas. And, I have heroforge to help me with estimating CR, but I will likely stick with something vaguely human/humanoid.

Avarice

First Post
I'm not sure if Forgotten Realms material is in play, but if so, there's always the Star Elf from Unapproachable East. -2 con, +2 cha, +0 LA.

Runestar

First Post
Alternatively, you could consider a monster with innate sorc spellcasting, then build off on that. I think MM2 has the spellweaver (and racial HD improves its spellcasting as well).

Raksasha casts as a sorc, automatically qualifies for the eldritch knight prc and has impressive defenses (though this comes as a hefty boost to cr).

Kobolds have that ritual that adds +1 sorc spellcasting. That and warrior is -3cr for it, so you can go kobold warrior4/sorc17 (say), and be the equivalent of a sorc18 with caster lv22 or 21, (depending on how you decide to stack practiced spellcaster) at cr18. Or kobold warrior4/sorc19 (cr20). Spellcaster lv20, caster lv 23 or 24.

You even get 1 epic feat (epic spellcasting!!!), though improved spell capacity is a good choice as well.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The Anthro Animals from Savage Species have some interesting stat mods- I bet at least one has a bonus to cha...and if its a small race, probably no more than +1-+2 LA.

Edited for misinformation

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads