• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Racial Class Skills of 1-HD Races

sledged

First Post
I'm in the process of creating an NPC using the multiheaded template in Savage Species. Now the template states that "Each additional head adds 2 HD to the base creature's total." The problem I have is that I'm applying the template to a 1 HD race (an earth genasi to be specific). Since monster entries present all the 1 HD races with a class level instead of a racial HD, I have no idea what the race's class skills are. Anyone have any suggestions on what an earth genasi's racial class skills would be? Keep in mind outsiders get 8 + Int mod skill points per HD.

Thanee

First Post
p. 301 MM says to just add skills that seem appropriate, I'd just do that. :)

Or go by the favored class (which is fighter), maybe?

I'd just give them 2+Int skill points, tho, not the 8+Int outsiders get.

Bye
Thanee

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
Because they not normally get them. It's just a special case, because the template makes them tougher, they do not really advance as an outsider.

Bye
Thanee

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Thanee said:
Because they not normally get them. It's just a special case, because the template makes them tougher, they do not really advance as an outsider.

The template makes them tougher by adding racial hit dice. His race is Outsider.

-Hyp.

sledged

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Thanee said:
go by the favored class (which is fighter), maybe?
I'd go with Commoner :)
Commoner seems the more appropriate. Fighters only have seven class skills.

Thanee said:
I'd just give them 2+Int skill points, tho, not the 8+Int outsiders get.
No, I'm going with what the MM says. I don't see enough reason to do otherwise, and I want to minimize the amount of house-ruling.

Thanee

First Post
Sure. I'd try to add skills that are appropriate, tho. Like Listen, Search, or Spot.
Maybe taking a look at the Ettin's racial skills might be appropriate?

I mean it does seem a bit strange, if a person grows a second head and suddenly becomes better at tailoring, or woodcutting, or sense motive. ;)

Bye
Thanee

sledged

First Post
Thanee said:
Sure. I'd try to add skills that are appropriate, tho. Like Listen, Search, or Spot. Maybe taking a look at the Ettin's racial skills might be appropriate?
Actually the template does give the creature a +2 racial bonus per additional head on Listen, Search, and Spot checks. I guess it would only make sense that any skill with which it gets a racial bonus would be a racial class skill.

Thanee said:
I mean it does seem a bit strange, if a person grows a second head and suddenly becomes better at tailoring, or woodcutting, or sense motive. ;)
No different than a 3-HD lantern archon being able to concentrate, negotiate, recall information about the planes, listen, sense motive, and spot better because it has 2 HD more than the norm. I've always thought skills increasing due to anything other than training, experience, or an increase in a relative ability odd. I've also thought it really wierd that on average a 16-year-old human has more skills than an elf more than seven times his age.

BTW, the multiheaded template in an inherited one. It doesn't grow an extra head. It's been that way all its life.

Remove ads