• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ranger Build

quindia

First Post
I am very disappointed to see the Ranger builds from the GAMA photo. I understand the archer build, but I fail to see why they insist on tying the Ranger to two weapon fighting. I didn't like it in 3.x either. It seemed at the time like they did it to stat out a certain Drow from their books.

Because if they didn't, they'd disappoint all the Drizzt fanbois and everyone who entered the hobby in 2E or later, for whom the ranger has always had TWF.

I'm not a TWF-ranger fan, but I think it was important to maintain that class option for some D&D continuity. I wish they'd shown equal devotion to D&D continuity in other places ...

quindia said:
I am very disappointed to see the Ranger builds from the GAMA photo. I understand the archer build, but I fail to see why they insist on tying the Ranger to two weapon fighting. I didn't like it in 3.x either. It seemed at the time like they did it to stat out a certain Drow from their books.
So your disappointed because it's an option you can, but don't have to take?

I could disappointment if the Ranger had the possibility to turn himself into a giant marshmallow man for one round, or if the Ranger had the possibility to take a totally useless path, like a "Ice Hockey Player" path, or something like that.

But then, I always liked both the Archer and the Two-Weapon Fighting paths for a Ranger (though I not necessarily liked the specifics of the implementations...)

Stogoe

First Post
It's as good a place as any to stuff the TWF powers, as TWF is inherently striker-ish and the rogue already has a ton of stuff. If you take TWF from the ranger, all he has left is 'good with a bow'.

hong

WotC's bitch
I'd certainly prefer it if TWF was a rogue schtick. But TWF rangers seem to be too popular to let go, especially given a certain book franchise. And then there was that elf dude who, in between skateboarding down stairs, climbing up a mumakil's leg, and shooting lots of arrows, also used two shortswords on occasion. That didn't help either.

Cirex

First Post
Kwalish Kid said:
There is also one of the ranger-ish characters from The 13th Warrior who uses TWF.

I remember the bearded guy with the bow, who certainly had a high perception skill, but can't remember him fighting with two weapons. Was it someone else?

We haven't seen much of dual wielding for other classes, so maybe the ranger is the only one who specializes in it. Let's see what happens with rogues paragon paths.

Staffan

Legend
I remember seeing a reference to having TWF being more a matter of power selection than feat selection in 4e. Something about them wanting feats to be more of a passive than an active thing. Same thing with Spring Attack and Whirlwind attack.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads