D&D 5E Ranger Primal Companion Options

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
In general, I like it, but I would add at least two options.

Pack Hunter - Loses charge, and does less damage on a hit with maul, and gains Pack Tactics and Takedown. Anytime it hits with Maul it forces a save vs prone. This is a tactical helper companion. You send them to knock down targets and get away.

Primal Guardian - Gains a Rage style ability to reduce incoming damage (or maybe when it takes the dodge action it also gains resist to most damage?) and some sort of ability to encourage enemies to focus on it. Lose charge.

Primal Mount - A swift spirit of a horse, deer, elk, etc, that can be ridden by the ranger or a creature chosen by the ranger, keeps charge, not sure it needs to lose anything, really.

Primal Trickster - Tiny critter with lower HP, and the ability to manipulate objects and proficiency in Sleight of Hand and Stealth, and ability to hold and carry tiny objects in it's hands. Loses charge and maul, gains an attack that does little damage but has a chance to temporarily blind a target, and a feature that boosts it's speed when it takes the Dodge action.

I'd also look at making a spell that lets other types of rangers get a more limited access to these same pets, something like Summon Primal Companion. If you cast it and you have a primal companion already, you can change which spirit they are, or simply summon a second critter that scales by spell level rather than ranger level?

I mean, a BM ranger could then actually function kinda like Dar the Beastmaster pretty easily in a balanced fashion, with a that spell chosen and find familiar from a feat or MC.

doctorbadwolf

"Whenever you start casting the spell, you can modify it so that it doesn’t require concentration. If you do so, the spell’s duration becomes 1 minute for that casting."

Just saw this in the Fey Wanderer....

Why not do this for Hunter's Mark? Seriously...what the heck.

Xeviat

Hero
I fully support this. I also want a swimming option that isn't an aquatic animal (like a bear or croc). Options for what you can swap the special attack out for should be more than easy.

I like your ideas. The trickster makes me think of a monkey throwing rocks or pulling people's helmets down.

doctorbadwolf

I fully support this. I also want a swimming option that isn't an aquatic animal (like a bear or croc). Options for what you can swap the special attack out for should be more than easy.

I like your ideas. The trickster makes me think of a monkey throwing rocks or pulling people's helmets down.
Yeah! Or ferrets or rackoons or the like.

OH! What about a grappler spirit like an ape, that can grab trip enemies?

Al2O3

Explorer
Wow, I had not realised quite how robust the new design is. You probably just demonstrated that future books, DM's Guild and homebrew can easily expand the subclass without messing up balance or really modifying the subclass again. There is clearly room for growth, but getting that growth seems as easy as adding spells or fighter maneuvers.

I think the Primal Beasts should get some extra ability at level. Right now, the only imorovement ist that the beast's attack count as magical.
But overall, the beastmaster ranger is improved by quite a bit.
I think adding more variants does not hurt. Probably an easy way to imolement more options would have been a stat block like in summon fey etc.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases