• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ranger Rehash

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
I dont have time for a particularly detailed response, but the class looks neat! I will say the skills are a little awkward. They are described as stealthy scouts and ambush predators, but don't seem to have the choice of gaining overall proficiency in Stealth (only in their specialized environment) or the perception skill at all. As two core competencies, they should be on the list, if not free.

The ranger is in a kind of odd spot, as you really need a ton of skills to do the "lone wolf" type thing. I don't know if you ever played Call of Cthulhu, but in the old Chaosium system, playing a detective was kind of the same way, where a real world PI would be able to do way more than what you had the points to represent.

Yeah. My first version of Wilderness expertise gave the ranger 6 different skills (I believe with prof. bonus and double prof.bonus in preferred terrain). When compared to the Rogue, who is supposed to do the "skill monkey" thing, they only get 2 from their Expertise. 4 at 6th and I forget when they finally get to 6th. There's some wiggle room/justification to be had that they can choose their own, whereas the ranger's were "assigned"...but it was still pretty unbalanced.

Knocking it back to 3 skills and no more makes it more palatable at 1st level.

You are right though about the Perception thing. So I think I'm going to move the Fighting Style to the Slayer subclass only, moving the ranger's bonus actions to 2nd level (which matches/fits with the rogue's Cunning Action), and adding in Keen Senses as the second 1st level feature, giving proficiency with Perception and advantage on rolls based on sight, hearing or scent.

But then, I'm thinking all of the subclasses need to get a fighting style somewhere along the way to keep them in step with other warrior types...

*shrug*sigh* Back to the drawing board.

AbeardedDORK

Villager
I've been following all your Ranger versions and I have to say that the latest version is very good. I mean, despite the class not having Perception as a class skill (which I think you could totally do without too much unbalancing), everything seems awesome. I've always loved the Ranger as class and I'm happy to see it get the love it deserves. I would totally play these versions. Nice job, mad props. haha

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Inspired by @Quickleaf's work over at his thread, taking a mo' to toss around some Fighter archetype ideas.

Here's my Cavalier. What do we think of this?

The Cavalier
The Cavalier is the best there is at what they do, fight while mounted (typically a horse, but other land-based animals and eventually flying or underwater mounts are also possible). Traditionally viewed as the mounted knight-in-shining-armor with their lance or spear, a cavalier could easily be represented as expert lightly-armored archers (such as the Mongols or Persians were reputed to be), chainmail-clad elfin stag-riding knights, and jungle-tribal-gnomes who bond with local panthers or wolves. The only real necessity of the cavalier’s concept is they have a mount and prefer/excel atop them. Typically possessed of a forceful presence and charisma, as useful in training their animal ally as mastering their fellow men, cavaliers often make welcomed as protectors of their communities and valued advisors (if not leaders) to their militias or armed forces.

3rd: Strength of Character
The Cavalier replaces Constitution with Charisma as a saving throws proficiency. For ability rolls that would normally use Constitution, the cavalier may their Charisma score/modifier instead, if it is higher.

Additionally, once per short rest, as a full action, the cavalier can present themselves in such an encouraging and supportive light, that allies within 20’ radius who can see the cavalier add the cavalier’s Cha. modifier to a save roll of the cavalier’s choice. The area is extended to a 50’ radius when the cavalier is atop their mount.

Mounted Expert
At 3rd level you gain a Medium (for Small PCs) or Large (for Medium PCs) land-based animal companion of CR 1 or less that accompanies you on your adventures as loyal mount. The mount may possess an enlightened intelligence or simply exceptional training, but they obey verbal and tactile commands (such as leg pressure), as best it can within its natural ability. The mount is an NPC that takes its turn on your initiative and can attack independently of the cavalier, except as noted below. The cavalier’s bond with and special training of the mount provides them with the following mutual benefits:
  • Expert Trainer: You add your proficiency bonus to the animal’s AC, attack rolls and damage rolls, as well as to any saving throws or skills in which it is proficient.
  • Tough Creature: Its HP maximum equals normal maximum or 4 times your fighter level, whichever is higher
  • Mounted Combatant: You gain advantage for any weapon attack made from atop your mount.
  • Ride as One: Your mount moves its full movement rate with up to double encumbrance. You and your mount do not suffer exhaustion levels for wearing or travelling in armor. Neither you nor your mount suffer a first level of exhaustion for distance, difficult terrain or other environmental conditions travelled until they have gone double the normal time for exhaustion to accrue. Follwoing the first, exhaustion levels accrue normally.
  • Valorous Charge: Given 20’ or more to charge your enemies, you and your mount attack as one (in a single action). Both you and your mount add your Charisma modifier to attack and damage rolls. The Valorous Charge can only be used for one attack of the fighter’s turn but requires the mounts full attack. i.e. A 5th level fighter with 2 attacks can use their second attack against a target within reach after the Valorous Charge, but the mount’s attack for the turn has been used, unless the creature possesses the multiattack feature.

At 9th level, the cavalier can bond to two mounts of a quality that grant the above benefits. At 16th the cavalier can have three chosen mounts.

When a new mount is possible or if a mount is lost for any reason, the cavalier requires a minimum of 1 month of (in-game) downtime to train and bond with a new mount well-enough to receive the above benefits.

7th: Issue Challenge: On your turn, you issue a challenge to melee or mounted combat to a creature within 50’ that can see and hear you. This distance is extended to 100’ if you are mounted. Whether the target understands your language or not (your body language, tone and forceful presence are all very clear), the creature must make a Wisdom save to beat DC 8 + proficiency bonus + Charisma modifier. If failed, the creature must use its turn to move its full and fastest rate to engage the cavalier. The cavalier may only have on such creature engaged in a “challenge” at a time. The challenge is ended when either party reaches 0 HP, surranders or the cavalier does not use their action to attack. Once ended, the target is immune to challenges from the cavalier for the next 24 hours.

10th: Mounted Superiority: You can bond to mounts that are one size category larger than you previously could. You can bond to mounts that have a flight or swim speed.
The cavalier and mount now gain the following additional traits:
  • Shared Respite: When you spend HD on a short or long rest to regain HP, your expert tending transfers up to half your HD to heal your mount. Also, when using the fighter’s Second Wind feature, your mount uses its bonus action to receive the same benefit.
  • Extra Attacks: Your mount can make extra attacks, using your Extra Attacks, instead of yourself.
  • Applied Expertise: You gain the benefits of Mounted Expert traits when riding any creature of the same kind as your bounded mount.

15th: Unflappable: You gain immunity from the frightened condition. You add your Charisma modifier to all save rolls against magics or effects that aim to charm, confuse or otherwise alter the cavalier’s mind or emotions.

18th: Last Stand (courtesy of Quickleaf)
At 18th level, you cannot die from damage while your challenged enemy remains undefeated. This includes dying from taking massive damage, but not effects that kill without dealing damage, such as the Power Word Kill spell. If your challenged enemy dies or falls unconscious, or you end a round without having attacked your challenged enemy, this effect ends and you begin to die as normal.

Last edited:

Quartz

Hero
Going back to the Ranger, Home Field Advantage looks to be a bit too good, especially in a multi-class ranger. Consider a fighter / ranger wearing plate & shield. Also, if you look at other classes like Monk and Barbarian, they add a stat mod, not the proficiency bonus.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
What is Strenght of character duration ? One save per ally ? The paladin aura is always on...

I thought I'd put a limit in there...should make that more clear. The cavaliers get Strength and Charisma as their save proficiencies instead of Str. & Con. That part is always on.

The lending it to your allies is one save (for each ally within the distance required) of the cav's choosing (the cavalier can either lend their strength to others they wish or not. About them, after all.). Once they've done that one time, for everyone within 20' of them (or within 50' if mounted), they need a rest.

As for what a paladin's aura can do...that...really doesn't matter to me/here. If you want that ability, play a paladin.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Going back to the Ranger, Home Field Advantage looks to be a bit too good, especially in a multi-class ranger. Consider a fighter / ranger wearing plate & shield. Also, if you look at other classes like Monk and Barbarian, they add a stat mod, not the proficiency bonus.

My reasoning there is that the Ranger's skill is what grants the advantage...their proficiency is "acting within their [chosen/preferred/home] terrain," hence prof. bonus. They are not more dexterous or physically stronger or tougher...they are more proficient. [EDIT to add]: And, using prof. bonus, they will always be capable of "getting better at it", regardless of what their ability scores are. [/EDIT]

As for "if you multiclass it breaks"...I've seen this come up from time to time (not just with my amateur creations but other ENworlders and 3PP stuff). And, not to sound rude or anything, but my attitude to that is:

I do not create classes/subclasses with multiclassing in mind.

Multiclassing in 5e is optional. I am creating material to be used in the game as written...not "the game as optional." Basically, if you are going to start altering the rules, which in 5e includes Multiclassing and Feats [like any other houserule], you will have to deal with what you get. Loopholes may open, traits/features may break, characters may[will] become OP'd, class combos may [will] become imbalanced with other classes/combos.

It is not possible to create a class (or anything else for the game, for that matter) that covers every possible corner-case combo. If you're going to adjust/alter the rules, it's up to that table to deal with the consequences.

Some may call that "lazy design." I call it "suffering the meta-game consequences for your freely chosen actions", a.k.a. "reality."

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
Inspired by @Quickleaf's work over at his thread, taking a mo' to toss around some Fighter archetype ideas.
Had some time to look this over tonight, and I like it! I like it a lot :)

The Cavalier
The Cavalier is the best there is at what they do, fight while mounted (typically a horse, but other land-based animals and eventually flying or underwater mounts are also possible). Traditionally viewed as the mounted knight-in-shining-armor with their lance or spear, a cavalier could easily be represented as expert lightly-armored archers (such as the Mongols or Persians were reputed to be), chainmail-clad elfin stag-riding knights, and jungle-tribal-gnomes who bond with local panthers or wolves. The only real necessity of the cavalier’s concept is they have a mount and prefer/excel atop them. Typically possessed of a forceful presence and charisma, as useful in training their animal ally as mastering their fellow men, cavaliers often make welcomed as protectors of their communities and valued advisors (if not leaders) to their militias or armed forces.
Conceptually, you've divorced the aristocracy elements from your version of the cavalier. I don't take issue with this because you include features like Strength of Character, Unflappable, and Challenge which are driving at the same thing. And because 5e accommodates the social benefits of aristocracy with the Noble background.

3rd: Strength of Character
The Cavalier replaces Constitution with Charisma as a saving throws proficiency. For ability rolls that would normally use Constitution, the cavalier may their Charisma score/modifier instead, if it is higher.
Interesting and a bit awkward. Losing Constitution proficiency (even if they pick up Charisma proficiency) seems punitive. No other class is required to *lose* things as they advance! Instead maybe just give them Charisma save proficiency outright? I'd need to compare it to paladin class features to make sure it was ok to do at 3rd level, but I don't think it would be too much.

Using Charisma for holding breath/forced march/concentration checks is a great idea, very thematically apropos.

Additionally, once per short rest, as a full action, the cavalier can present themselves in such an encouraging and supportive light, that allies within 20’ radius who can see the cavalier add the cavalier’s Cha. modifier to a save roll of the cavalier’s choice. The area is extended to a 50’ radius when the cavalier is atop their mount.
What's the duration? Hmm. I feel this is treading in the paladin's wheelhouse a bit, don't you?

Mounted Expert
At 3rd level you gain a Medium (for Small PCs) or Large (for Medium PCs) land-based animal companion of CR 1 or less that accompanies you on your adventures as loyal mount. The mount may possess an enlightened intelligence or simply exceptional training, but they obey verbal and tactile commands (such as leg pressure), as best it can within its natural ability. The mount is an NPC that takes its turn on your initiative and can attack independently of the cavalier, except as noted below. The cavalier’s bond with and special training of the mount provides them with the following mutual benefits:
Isn't the beastmaster ranger's animal limited to CR 1/2? Best to follow suit here, and CR 1/2 still allows for the classic warhorse.

Expert Trainer: You add your proficiency bonus to the animal’s AC, attack rolls and damage rolls, as well as to any saving throws or skills in which it is proficient.
Check, nice way to handle power boosting the mount.

Tough Creature: Its HP maximum equals normal maximum or 4 times your fighter level, whichever is higher
Check, nicely balanced.

Mounted Combatant: You gain advantage for any weapon attack made from atop your mount.
I would cut this. The main benefit of being mounted in 5e is you gain advantage against un-mounted foes. If you just give out blanket advantage on all attacks while mounted it seems a bit overkill.

Ride as One: Your mount moves its full movement rate with up to double encumbrance. You and your mount do not suffer exhaustion levels for wearing or travelling in armor. Neither you nor your mount suffer a first level of exhaustion for distance, difficult terrain or other environmental conditions travelled until they have gone double the normal time for exhaustion to accrue. Follwoing the first, exhaustion levels accrue normally.
Check. But the verbiage is awkward.

Valorous Charge: Given 20’ or more to charge your enemies, you and your mount attack as one (in a single action). Both you and your mount add your Charisma modifier to attack and damage rolls. The Valorous Charge can only be used for one attack of the fighter’s turn but requires the mounts full attack. i.e. A 5th level fighter with 2 attacks can use their second attack against a target within reach after the Valorous Charge, but the mount’s attack for the turn has been used, unless the creature possesses the multiattack feature.
So are you saying the fighter can replace one attack per turn with a sort of dual attack made by both him and his mount? And both his attack and his mount's attack gain +CHA attack and damage?

At 9th level, the cavalier can bond to two mounts of a quality that grant the above benefits. At 16th the cavalier can have three chosen mounts.
A warhorse, a hippocampus, and a griffon were in a cavalier's stable on day, and the griffon says... lol I like this feature.

When a new mount is possible or if a mount is lost for any reason, the cavalier requires a minimum of 1 month of (in-game) downtime to train and bond with a new mount well-enough to receive the above benefits.

7th: Issue Challenge: On your turn, you issue a challenge to melee or mounted combat to a creature within 50’ that can see and hear you. This distance is extended to 100’ if you are mounted. Whether the target understands your language or not (your body language, tone and forceful presence are all very clear), the creature must make a Wisdom save to beat DC 8 + proficiency bonus + Charisma modifier. If failed, the creature must use its turn to move its full and fastest rate to engage the cavalier. The cavalier may only have on such creature engaged in a “challenge” at a time. The challenge is ended when either party reaches 0 HP, surranders or the cavalier does not use their action to attack. Once ended, the target is immune to challenges from the cavalier for the next 24 hours.
I'm ok with this, but flavor-wise in 5e I think they've avoided charm-like forced movement compulsion in fighter or rogue abilities. Some people have a problem with it. *shrug* Personally, I think your version is well balanced.

10th: Mounted Superiority: You can bond to mounts that are one size category larger than you previously could. You can bond to mounts that have a flight or swim speed.
The cavalier and mount now gain the following additional traits:
  • Shared Respite: When you spend HD on a short or long rest to regain HP, your expert tending transfers up to half your HD to heal your mount. Also, when using the fighter’s Second Wind feature, your mount uses its bonus action to receive the same benefit.
  • Extra Attacks: Your mount can make extra attacks, using your Extra Attacks, instead of yourself.
  • Applied Expertise: You gain the benefits of Mounted Expert traits when riding any creature of the same kind as your bounded mount.
I think for Shared Respite you need to clarify what's happening with the healing. Is it that you heal 100% of your HD *and* your mount heals 50% of your HD? Or is it that you heal 50% of your HD while your mount heals the other 50%?

Applied Expertise is a nice touch when combined with getting extra bonded mounts at 9th and 16th levels.

15th: Unflappable: You gain immunity from the frightened condition. You add your Charisma modifier to all save rolls against magics or effects that aim to charm, confuse or otherwise alter the cavalier’s mind or emotions.
Check. Though with two abilities referencing Charisma you are driving for a Charisma-oriented build. Which is perfectly OK, just pointing it out.

18th: Last Stand (courtesy of Quickleaf)
At 18th level, you cannot die from damage while your challenged enemy remains undefeated. This includes dying from taking massive damage, but not effects that kill without dealing damage, such as the Power Word Kill spell. If your challenged enemy dies or falls unconscious, or you end a round without having attacked your challenged enemy, this effect ends and you begin to die as normal.
Funny to critique my idea, but some kind of proviso about what happens if you are reduced to 0 hit points while benefiting from Last Stand should be clarified. Does the paladin fall unconscious? Wait, then doesn't the Challenge end? So Last Stand no longer applies? Hmm, head hurt...

One possibility is to create a "negative hit point" threshold the cavalier can continue fighting in. While in this "negative hit point" threshold (their "Last Stand"), they might accrue a level of exhaustion each round until collapsing.

I'll need to think on it some more.

Remove ads