Ranger Spells

Tony Vargas

Legend
These are some additions to the Ranger spell list I was hoping to get some comments on. There was a thread on the old boards about beefing up the ranger's rather anemic spell list, but we only came up with a couple. Since then, I've been inspired...

===============================================

Alacrity
(Transformation)
Ranger2,Travel2,Sor/Wiz2
Components: V,S
Casting Time: 1 Action
Range: Touch
Target or Targets/Effect/Area: 1 creature
Duration: 1 min/level
Saving Throw: Will Negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: yes

This spell is similar to Haste or Striding, but provides an extra Move-Equivalent Action each round that can be used for any purpose. It is not cumulative with Haste, Striding, or other effects that grant an extra partial action. If stacked with an effect that allows a restricted partial action (like the Speed Enchantment) the recipient can choose which extra action to avail himself of each round.

Elemental Weapon
(Conjuration)[Fire or Lightning or Cold]
Ranger1
Components: V,F
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: touch
Target or Targets/Effect/Area: Melee weapon or weapons held by the caster.
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Object (harmless)
Spell Resistance: none

The weapon or weapons (one in each hand, maximum), held by the caster when this spell is completed are wreathed in a nimbus of natural elemental force - fire, lightning, or frost, as the caster desires. If two weapons are affected, both are empowered with the same element. The spell affects a given weapon until the duration expires, the caster evokes another spell, or the weapon in question is dropped, thrown, sheathed, or broken - whichever comes first. Elemental Weapon cannot be cast on a weapon that has been affected by Greater Elemental Weapon, or which has any of the enchantments Flaming, Frost, Shocking, Acid, or Sonic or the Burst versions thereof.

The Elemental weapon inflicts an extra 1d6 of damage of the appropriate type to any creature it hits. The Fire version sheds light like a torch. The Lightning version sheds bright strobe-like light in a 30' radius (if it's the only source of illumination, everyone using normal vision suffers a 10% miss chance). The cold version sheds a pale blue-white glow in a 5' radius and mist falls from it continuously.

The material component (focus) is a jewel or worked symbol representing the element called on (ruby or gold sun disk for fire, diamond for frost, amber for lighting - as suits the character's beliefs) worth 50gp that need only be on the caster's person (often it is inlaid on the hilt of the weapon) for the spell to be cast, and which is not consumed.

Enemy's Bane
(Transformation)
Ranger4
Target or Targets/Effect/Area: 1 weapon
Duration: 1 hr/level
Spell Resistance: none

This spell imbues a weapon with the equivalent of the Bane Enchantment against one of the caster's favored enemies. Once affected, the weapon can be wielded by anyone. Alternately, the spell can be cast on up to 50 arrows/bolts (or other sorts of ammunition of the same type in one lot at the time the spell is cast).

If Enemy's Bane is cast on a weapon that has already had Enemy's Bane or Holy Weapon cast on it, they do not stack, the more recent spell takes precedence.

Greater Elemental Weapon
(Transformation)[Fire or Lightning or Cold]
Ranger3
Duration: 1hr/level

Similar to Elemental Weapon, but, the effect lasts until the weapon is destroyed or taken from the caster by another creature or the listed duration expires (it can be safely sheathed, or stowed by the caster, in which case it's nimbus is temporarily hidden), and the nimbus of elemental energy flares on a confirmed critical, inflicting extra damage as a Flaming Burst, Shocking Burst, or Icy Burst weapon.

Greater Elemental Weapon can be cast effectively on thrown weapons, or upon as many as 50 arrows/bolts (or similar ammunition) if the container of ammunition and the missile weapon it is to be used with are both held by the caster when the spell is cast, and retained by him until used. The spell ceases for each arrow/bolt/etc immediately after it has hit (and damaged) it's target. If Greater Elemental Weapon is cast on a weapon already affected by Greater Elemental Weapon, they do not stack, the more recent spell takes precedence.

Greater Magic Claws

Transmutation
Level: Drd 4, Rgr 4
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One living creature
Duration: 1 hour/level

As Greater Magic Fang, but all the subject's natural weapons are affected. Unlike Magic Fang, this spell is only effective for Animials, Dire Animals, non-magical Beasts, or characters polymorphed by Divine magic into the form of such a creature.

Magic Claws

Transmutation
Level: Drd 2, Rgr 2
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 action
Target: Living creature touched
Duration: 1 minute/level
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

As Magic Fang, but all the subject's natural weapons are affected. Unlike Greater Magic Fang, this spell is only effective for Animials, Dire Animals, non-magical Beasts, and characters polymorphed by Divine magic into the form of such a creature.

Red Flower's Wrath (with apologies to Kipling)
(Transmutation)[Fire][Mind-affecting]
Ranger2,Fire3,Wiz/Sor4
Components: V,S,(M)
Target or Targets/Effect/Area: one fire source, up to 5'x5'
Duration: 1 hour/level
Spell Resistance: WILL partially negates

When this spell is cast, the fire source targeted doubles in brightness and takes on an angry, reddish caste, becoming an object of dread to animals, plant creatures, Beasts, undead, creatures with the Cold sub-type, and any other creature with vulnerability to fire (creatures of one of these types who also have the fire sub-type or innate resistance to fire are unaffected).

Affected creatures will be reluctant to enter the radius of illumination of the enchanted fire (WILL save to enter, may be repeated each time the creature is provoked or attacked in any way), and are considered Shaken if they do so. Once per point of CHA bonus, while the spell is in affect, the caster, if he can brandish the fire source or otherwise move it threateningly, may attempt to Turn the affected creatures as if he were a Cleric of his Caster level Turning Undead. Regardless of HD, Destruction is not a possibility.

If cast on another spell-effect or magical fire source (like a Wall of Fire or Flaming Sphere or flaming sword), the spell lasts only as long as the fire does, and the damage caused by the flames is not increased. If cast on a normal fire, the fire burns until the spell ends, and burns hotly enough to do an extra d6 of damage to any creature touching or struck by it. .

A Sorcerer or Wizard casting this spell requires a pinch of charcoal and rare earths to throw into the fire. Clerics with the Fire Domain need only thier divine focus. A Ranger doing so simply calls on the symbolic power of fire as protection in the wilderness and requires no materials beyond the fire to be affected.

Striding (with apologies to Tolkien)
(Transformation)
Ranger1
Duration: 1 hr/level
Saving Throw: Will Negates (harmless)

The creature affected by this spell is able to stride with speed and confidence through any terrain. The recipient receives an extra Move Equivalent Action each round that can only be used to Walk (1/2 base move) or Hustle (full base move). If used to Hustle, the extra move is subject to any reductions or restrictions due to the character's environment or situation (encumbrance, entanglement, mud, activity like tracking or sneaking, etc). However, if used to Walk, the character's progress is unimpeded by such considerations - as long as he is upright can move at all (even 5') he can Walk normally for the extra MEA portion of his action. The character can not Walk & Hustle in the same round, cannot take a 5' step in a round he uses the extra MEA to move, and does not get the extra MEA from Striding if he chooses to Run. Effectively, out of combat, this means that the character can travel at 150% of his normal movement under normal condition (walking or hustling), and his normal movement when he would normally be reduced to half (notably, as when tracking).

Striding is not cumulative with Haste or Alacrity. If stacked with an effect that allows a restricted partial action (like the Speed Enchantment) the recipient can choose which extra action to avail himself of each round.

Treat Wounds
(Transformation)[Plant]
Ranger/Bard/Druid/Plant/Healing 1
Components: V,S,M
Casting Time: 1 min per affected creature
Target or Targets/Effect/Area: Up to one creature per level.
Duration: 1 hr
Saving Throw: Fort Negates (harmless)

This spell allows the caster to compound healing herbs into a magically empowered poultice that greatly speeds healing. The compounding and applying of the poultice takes one minute per creature to be treated, and the caster can make enough for one such creature per caster level. Creatures treated heal in one hour (the duration of the spell) of complete rest, as many hit points from wounds as they would heal in a full day of complete rest under the care of a healer. For all other purposes, the time spent counts as an ordinary hour of rest.

The material component of the spell is a collection of healing herbs which cost 5gp per creature to be healed (and, if purchased, remain fresh enough to use for about a week), or can be gathered in any natural setting with a successful Wilderness Lore, Knowledge:Nature, or Profession:Herbalist check at DC 15+(number of creatures to be treated). Alternately common herbs (ordinary spell components) can be used, if the caster spends the full hour of the duration caring for the subjects using the Heal Skill.

Withstand the Elements
(Abjuration)[Fire/Cold/Lightning]
Ranger1,Druid2
Duration: 24hrs
Saving Throw: WILL negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell renders the subject creature resistant to natural environmental extremes. The recipient is protected completely from heat, cold, wind, rain, even lighting strikes, of natural origin. The spell does not protect against actual flames. Similar effects evoked by magic or supernatural abilities are resisted as if by an Endure Elements spell.

=============================================================

And, an old spell, reprised for 3E. Affect Normal Fires was a whimpy 1st level magic user spell in 1E, but it was something a Ranger could have had then (they got 1st and 2nd level MU spells), and it seems apropriate. I've updated it for 3E (making it more noticeably more useful).

===============================================================

Affect Normal Fires
Transformation [fire]
Ranger1, Sorcerer/Wizard 1
Components: V/S
Duration: 1 min/level, or if a single fire source is affected, full burning time, up to 1/hour per level.
Effect: One or more fires in a 25' plus 5'/level radius of the caster.
Save: REF Negates (object)

The caster gains the ability to affect normal fires within range in the following ways, for one minute per caster level:

Burn Bright: The fire source produces double the normal radius of illumination (or +50% the range of directed illumination, as in a bull’s-eye lantern), but gives off less heat (half damage if used as an attack).

Burn Hot: The fire burns twice as 'hot' and violently, inflicting twice as much damage, but burning for only half as long.

Banked: The fire source produces half the normal radius (or range) of illumination, and is not visible outside of the area it illuminates. It gives off the usual amount of heat, and burns for it's normal duration.

Smolder: The fire source produces no light and little heat for up to the duration of the spell, using up no appreciable fuel, and returns to its normal intensity when the spell ends. While smoldering the fire source is warm to the touch (but will not touch off flammables) and produces a small amount of smoke, thus, a Smoldering fire source can be used as a fuse of sorts. When cast on a single fire source, the effect can be 'set' to end after a pre-determined time within the spells duration.

Dance: The flames of the fire source change shape and color, and move in accordance with the caster's desires. The images formed are, obviously, crude but the movements can be intricate. A Perform check can be made to entertain audiences with Dancing flames, with a +5 circumstance bonus.

Spark: The fire source shoots forth a shower of sparks in a 5' radius burst, inflicting as much damage as exposure to the fire normally would (REF negates), and possibly touching off other fires. The source is extinguished, it's fuel expended and/or scattered in the sudden burst.

Initially, the caster may choose one of the effects to apply to any or all fire sources in range. Each round that the spell is in effect, the caster may use a Standard action to evoke a different effect (including returning to normal) on any or all fires in range. Thus, several different fires can be affected in different ways, but it will take at least one action per type of effect evoked. Fire sources carried by uncooperative characters (including characters doused in burning oil or alchemists fire) can be shielded from the effect with a successful REF save. Fire sources taken beyond the spells range return to normal.

Alternately, the spell can be cast on a single fire source, in which case, that source is subject to the chosen effect for as little as one round (if desired), up to one hour per caster level, if it has sufficient fuel. The effect continues even if the caster moves beyond the spell's normal range.

=========================================

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
These are some additions to the Ranger spell list I was hoping to get some comments on.

A lot of those are rather nice!

A couple of minor notes :

Elemental Weapon
Components: V,M

That should be V,F. Your gemstones, as you noted, are a focus, and not consumed.

Enemy's Bane
(Transformation)
Ranger4

Woo. This one...

Well, actually... hmm. I was going to say it sounded a bit tough for a 4th level spell... but given that a Ranger can't cast those until 14th level, maybe it's not so bad. And gives a Ranger some use for the whole Favoured Enemy bit :)

Red Flower's Wrath (with apologies to Kipling)
(Transmutation)[Fire][Mind-affecting]
When this spell is cast, the fire source targeted doubles in brightness and takes on an angry, reddish caste, becoming an object of dread to animals, plant creatures, Beasts, undead, creatures with the Cold sub-type, and any other creature with vulnerability to fire (creatures of one of these types who also have the fire sub-type or innate resistance to fire are unaffected).

Is the only feature of the spell that affects undead the Turning ability? Or are they subject to the Will-Save-to-enter bit as well?

Just that undead are generally immune to mind-influencing effects...

Striding (with apologies to Tolkien)
(Transformation)
Ranger1,Travel1

Hmm. So using this, could the Ranger hustle 30' and then make a full attack?

I think Alacrity is fine for a 2nd level spell. I think the fast movement, full speed while tracking, etc effects of Stride are great. But I think allowing essentially a full-attack charge is a bit much for a 1st level spell.

On the whole - great work...

-Hyp.

Last edited:

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Very nice job, Tony.

I'd invented a version of Enemy Bane myself (called Foebane, essentially it is the parallel to the Paladin holy sword 4th level spell).

I do particularly like the extended affect normal fires, alacrity, elemental weapon spells and treat wounds. I'll be adding those to my ranger lists in my campaign.

It irritates me that the Ranger doesn't get endure elements (5pts protection for 24 hours) and instead gets resist elements (12pts/level for 1 min per level). Why does this irritate me? Because it makes Paladins better at surviving the deserts or the arctic than Rangers :rolleyes:

Anyway, great spells.

FWIW I allow rangers to have Goodberry and shilleghle(sp!) as 1st level spell and cure moderate wounds as a 3rd level one (although I'm tempted to give them the standard CLW/CMW/CSW/CCW at 1st-4th level like everyone else gets).

Cheers

Tony Vargas

Legend
Re: Re: Ranger Spells

Glad to get some positive combat.

And thanks for finding the Material/Focus error.

Hypersmurf said:

Hmm. So using this, could the Ranger hustle 30' and then make a full attack?

I think Alacrity is fine for a 2nd level spell. I think the fast movement, full speed while tracking, etc effects of Stride are great.

You're probably right about Striding, as a 1st level spell for a non-ranger (and I did put it in the travel domain), but a Ranger would be getting it, at most, a level before a Wiz would be getting Haste, so I don't see a huge problem.

A Ranger could make a very cheap Striding magick item (compared to a haste item, because of the level 4*1 vs 5*3), but I don't expect a Ranger to do a lot of item creation.

Still, it'd probably be simpler to Give the ranger Expeditious Retreat at 1st, and make Striding 2nd level, and a bit more like Alacrity...

Tony Vargas

Legend
Re: Re: Ranger Spells

Hypersmurf said:
Red Flower's Wrath...

Is the only feature of the spell that affects undead the Turning ability? Or are they subject to the Will-Save-to-enter bit as well?

Just that undead are generally immune to mind-influencing effects...

Crap. Yes, I suppose if the undead is immune to mind-affecting spells, it'd only be affected by the Turning ability. I don't know why sentient undead are immune to mind-affecting spells, though, so I'm not too sure about the whole thing.

Chacal

First Post
Great spells !

About Red Flower, what about considering it like an active turning undead of half your caster level, rolled once at the beginning of the spell ?

IMC, we house ruled Cure Light Wounds as a 1st level ranger spell.

Chacal

Tony Vargas

Legend
Chacal said:
Great spells !

About Red Flower, what about considering it like an active turning undead of half your caster level, rolled once at the beginning of the spell ?

IMC, we house ruled Cure Light Wounds as a 1st level ranger spell.

Chacal

I suppose limiting the effect on undead to Turning might be apropriate. Ranger Caster Level is already half his class level, so I couldn't see further reducing it...

Yeah, I could see making CLW 1st level, it'd hardly imbalance anything. But, I was trying to just add spells, not change existing ones, thus Treat Wounds & Wistand the Elements, instead of just making CLW 1st or adding Endure Elements.

Remove ads