• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rangers - leave them be!

Steverooo

First Post
Constantly logged off

Seems no matter what I do, I am logged off (no matter how many times I log in). I just lost a looooooong post about Rangers!

hammymchamham

First Post
I love the original ranger. Their is a lvl 13 human ranger in our group, and his is VERY deadly with the bow (almost never misses). He rarely gets into melee since his AC is low, but if he does, his TWF is nice. And his tracking has helped. Have I mentioned its a 11 year old in a group of 23+ year olds? If an 11 year old can play (both power game and role play) a ranger, why can't everyone else?

Chun-tzu

First Post
If an 11 year old can play (both power game and role play) a ranger, why can't everyone else?

1. Just because a character is fine for one player, does not mean it's fine for all players and should be left alone. Sure, the PHB Ranger works fine for many players. But many players prefer some of the other published versions (personally, I like the version in BoHM).

2. This thread is part of the neverending cycle of "let's change this" and "it doesn't need to be changed." Both sides have a point, and you can't completely dismiss either. A lot of people say AD&D 1E was fine, and didn't need improving.

3. If you want to bring age into gaming, consider that an 11-year-old might have a very different playing style from an older player. Many classes might be fine for a kid that adults would find boring, and vice versa.

4. Mort already posted the primary problems cited with the Ranger, and the above statement addresses neither. The primary complaints are that it's too front-loaded, and that it does not do a good job or representing rangers of literature.

hammymchamham

First Post
Chun-tzu said:

1. Just because a character is fine for one player, does not mean it's fine for all players and should be left alone. Sure, the PHB Ranger works fine for many players. But many players prefer some of the other published versions (personally, I like the version in BoHM).

2. This thread is part of the neverending cycle of "let's change this" and "it doesn't need to be changed." Both sides have a point, and you can't completely dismiss either. A lot of people say AD&D 1E was fine, and didn't need improving.

3. If you want to bring age into gaming, consider that an 11-year-old might have a very different playing style from an older player. Many classes might be fine for a kid that adults would find boring, and vice versa.

4. Mort already posted the primary problems cited with the Ranger, and the above statement addresses neither. The primary complaints are that it's too front-loaded, and that it does not do a good job or representing rangers of literature.

1. This is your only good point, since all of this is opinon, and not a factual argument

2. Illrelevant to my statement.

3. I don't see how this is possible. I am sure there are plenty of adults that like playing wizards, and plenty of kids. Plenty of adults who like fighters, and plenty of kids. Plenty of kids who like X and plenty of adults who like X. Again, your 1st point is the only real valid one, and all your argument here is based on is person A likes X and person B likes Y. I don't like Bards or Sorcerors, but I bet I could play an effective one.

4. Again, illrelevant to my statement sicne I never even touched upon the problems some have with the PHB ranger.

Chun-tzu

First Post
If all these things are irrelevant, then I don't understand your statement. You said, "If an 11 year old can play (both power game and role play) a ranger, why can't everyone else?"

What does his age have to do with anything?

What do you mean by, "why can't everyone else [play a ranger as is]?"

hammymchamham

First Post
Chun-tzu said:
If all these things are irrelevant, then I don't understand your statement. You said, "If an 11 year old can play (both power game and role play) a ranger, why can't everyone else?"

What does his age have to do with anything?

What do you mean by, "why can't everyone else [play a ranger as is]?"

maybe because it wasn't an argument, just my opinion.....

Chun-tzu

First Post
Your opinion is that PHB Rangers are fine as is, and that's a perfectly reasonable opinion.

In points 2 and 4, I was primarily addressing the main topic. Maybe the Ranger is fine, but maybe it could be much better.

The age thing has nothing to do with anything, and can definitely be taken as a slight against anyone who thought Rangers should be played differently.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads