D&D 5E Rank the Official 5e Adventures

Retreater

Legend
Most of these replies were from a few years ago. May be interested to see if people feel the same now.
I posted this one a little over a year ago. There are more responses, which are also newer...

Retreater

Legend
Fail
Descent into Avernus. Why isn't this at the bottom of every list? It makes Dragon Queen look like top tier stuff! I nearly went on a half page rant about it here.
I didn't even try to run that one because I knew it would be problematic with my DMing style. If I had, I'm pretty sure it would be lower.

delericho

Legend
Ranking only the ones I own...

Top Tier
Lost Mine of Phandelver
Curse of Strahd
Rime of the Frostmaiden
Don't Bother
Out of the Abyss (frustrating one, this - the first half is perhaps their best 5e material, but then it goes to pieces)
Storm King's Thunder (this is a great guide to the region, just a shame it's marketed as an adventure!)
Dragon of Icespire Peak (but the rest of the Essentials Box is great!)
Princes of the Apocalypse
Hoard of the Dragon Queen
Rise of Tiamat

Enrico Poli1

Adventurer
Time to add the new adventures!

Top Tier:

1) Tomb of Annihilation

2) Curse of Strahd

3) Descent into Avernus

4) Lost Mines of Phandelver

5) Rime of the Frostmaiden

Mid Tier:

6) The Wild beyond the Witchlight

7) Ghosts of Saltmarsh

8) Tales of the Yawning Portal

9) Dragon Heist

10) Dungeon of the Mad Mage

11) Call of the Netherdeep

Low Tier:

12) Storm King's Thunder

13) Out of the Abyss

14) Tyranny of Dragons

15) Dragon of Icespire Peak

16) Princes of the Apocalypse

17) Candlekeep Mysteries

18) Journeys through the Radiant Citadel

Retreater

Legend
My most current list:
Top Tier – only minor issues (if any)
1. Curse of Strahd
2. Tomb of Annihilation
3. Lost Mines of Phandelver
Mid Tier- can be good with some work; or just “ho-hum” in delivery
4. Princes of the Apocalypse
5. Out of the Abyss
Lower Tier – needs some polish to come together as a campaign; or glaring issues that need to be addressed
6. Ghosts of Saltmarsh
7. Tales from the Yawning Portal
Below Low Tier - you'd be better off writing your own campaign
8. Storm King’s Thunder
9. Waterdeep Dragon Heist
10. Dungeon of the Mad Mage
11. Rime of the Frost Maiden
Failure Tier – unusable
12. Horde of the Dragon Queen

Stormonu

Legend
Late to the party, but ....

1) Curse of Strahd - this has been an excellent adventure since 1E, and 5E just expanded on it spectacularly.
2) Lost Mines of Phandelver - great starting adventure, well put together and hits all the good points of D&D play
3) Ghosts of Saltmarsh - the 1E versions were classic, this is a good update and a lot of interesting extras and expansions thrown into it
4) Tales from the Yawning Portal - classic update of some really good old adventures. Not meant for use as a campaign, but great to pull one or two them into an existing campaign or as a side quest

Mid Tier
Rime of the Frost Maiden - had me riveted reading, but didn't come across as well in play. The constant storm is interesting for the first couple of sessions, then ...annoying.

Failure Tier
Horde of the Dragon Queen
Lights of Xarysis
- A railroad of a (disaster) adventure that tries to sell itself as 80's Flash Gordon and just fails at every point - including a (literal) murdering of Dark Sun/Athas

I don't have the other adventures, but glancing through them they did not grab me in a way that I felt I needed to acquire them (I'd be curious to see where folks rank Witchlight). I will say the Mad Max rip-off in Descent really turned me off to grabbing that one (as did other reasons), and that Dragon Heist didn't involve a dragon's hoard lost my interest as well (seems it's more of an "Ocean's 11" sort of adventure). I've got the original Undermountain series, and with Mad Mage only covering a small portion of the original, I skipped it.

Unfortunately, I am stuck in a campaign that is butchering Tomb of Annihilation, and because of that I really can't recommend it.

Retreater

Legend
Unfortunately, I am stuck in a campaign that is butchering Tomb of Annihilation, and because of that I really can't recommend it.
It's a bit of a side topic, but how are you stuck in a bad campaign? Can you give feedback to the DM or leave the game?
(I think it's a solid adventure, and moreover, life's too short for bad gaming.)

Stormonu

Legend
It's a bit of a side topic, but how are you stuck in a bad campaign? Can you give feedback to the DM or leave the game?
(I think it's a solid adventure, and moreover, life's too short for bad gaming.)
The group has point blank told the DM we want to stop, she isn't listening. Can't really leave the game as my sister-in-law is running it at my house. It's gotten to the point we've been trying to find ways to get ourselves killed of late so we can end at a TPK. We almost succeeded last session this Sunday, but the DM is too kind to let anyone die, so we're going to have to force the issue.

Retreater

Legend
The group has point blank told the DM we want to stop, she isn't listening. Can't really leave the game as my sister-in-law is running it at my house. It's gotten to the point we've been trying to find ways to get ourselves killed of late so we can end at a TPK. We almost succeeded last session this Sunday, but the DM is too kind to let anyone die, so we're going to have to force the issue.
Yeah, it sounds like it's time for an intervention, especially if she isn't listening to the wishes of the group. Best of luck to you!

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Only going to talk about the ones I played in. Best to worse based solely on my personal experience with them.

Lost Mines of Phandelver - Good starting module.
Storm King’s Thunder - lots of fun, but the DM did a lot of customizing to our party so not sure how good it is base.
Descent into Avernus - good, but a bit railroad-y at times. We were following one path, and decided we couldn't pay a cost, it would help evil too much. The DM came right out and told us that there were two paths towards completion, and if we started to persue the other track that the last couple of months of sessions would have been wasted on this track. Suitably epic endings though. And wasn't fond the the vehicle combat rules. At the very least some PC needs to give up all of what they do in order to drive.
Princes of the Apocalypse - wide open, but perhaps too much so. Also had to deal with so very many NPCs.
Dragon Heist - Very railroady. If you're willing to sit back and deal with that, had fun parts.
Horde of the Dragon Queen - Started twice, never got particularly far. Wasn't too impressed with what I did see. Trying to force rivalry by blunt means, etc. Okay, I looked a little about this online and there's so much out there to fix it - could be decent with the fan fixes. But there's so much because people call out how bad it is.
Curse of Strahd - The DM worked to make this good, but there was so many non-level specific places that we were guided to by the card reading that we had no information about how tough they were, so we just died and died and died. And the remaining characters got so gun-shy. Even the DM got sick of it after a while and just fast forwarded us to attacking Castle Ravenloft so we could have closure.

I realize that I have a very different experience than others with Strahd. I've talked about that before. Don't take that as a general ranking - I've seen too many people talk about having a grand time with it. I just wonder how my experience was so different than theirs.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases