D&D 5E Ranking 1st level spells

The Bane spell is better than C tier. CHA Saving Throw, effects 3 creatures,(with upcast to effect extra creatures). No additional saving throws allowed, and the spell subtracts from both Attacks and Saving Throws.

Bane is a useful spell at all tiers, and can make your fellow spell casters in the party love you.

I'll concede this point, though the extra 1-4 HP that Cure Wounds gives adds up when you upcast it. Especially in the hands of a Life cleric.

healing word is better 99% of the time if you have it available. ranged, bonus action, and gets someone back up. the difference is total value is mostly a wash because its most likely only one hit either way from going back down.

What makes an attack spell better than a weapon attack? Mage Armor better than plate mail and a shield? Healing potions cost gold, can't be upcast, and you can't get more of them unless you go shopping (or use downtime to craft them). A spellcaster can get another Cure Wounds just by taking a long rest.

What makes it better than a Healing Potion?

The Bane spell is better than C tier. CHA Saving Throw, effects 3 creatures,(with upcast to effect extra creatures). No additional saving throws allowed, and the spell subtracts from both Attacks and Saving Throws.

Bane is a useful spell at all tiers, and can make your fellow spell casters in the party love you.
Problem with Bane is that you'll never cast it over Bless if you have a choice.

I still think the potential of losing it without even forcing the save makes the Smite spells in general suspect. The Paladin does not have proficiency in Con saves. They effectively get it at 6th level but even then it's not terribly hard to fail. Their saving grace here is a high AC.
I just think Wrathful Smite's rewards are much greater than its risks, especially in a boss battle.

Also, if you're playing with feats (as most tables do IMX), Paladins can get their CON saves higher than anyone. Resilient (CON) and the Aura often results in auto-saving vs. DC 10 and pretty easy saves in most cases otherwise.

Last edited:

I just think Wrathful Smite's rewards are much greater than its risks, especially in a boss battle.

Also, if you're playing with feats (as most tables do IMX), Paladins can get their CON saves higher thank anyone. Resilient (CON) and the Aura often results in auto-saving vs. DC 10 and pretty easy saves in most cases otherwise.
artificer can match them and pull ahead if you count FoG charges.

ad_hoc

(they/them)

The effect is pretty minor when compared to other save spells.

The concentration really kills it. There are better spells at all levels to be concentrating on. Ones that will actually take away from enemy creature's actions and other nasty effects.

Upcasting it just makes it worse.

I'll concede this point, though the extra 1-4 HP that Cure Wounds gives adds up when you upcast it. Especially in the hands of a Life cleric.

What makes an attack spell better than a weapon attack? Mage Armor better than plate mail and a shield? Healing potions cost gold, can't be upcast, and you can't get more of them unless you go shopping (or use downtime to craft them). A spellcaster can get another Cure Wounds just by taking a long rest.

Multiple healing potions can be purchased.

After the first few levels the cost is quite minor.

If long rests are easy to come by then all spells are fine. There will be little challenge anyway so it doesn't matter if a spell is good or not.

Upcasting Cure Wounds just makes it worse. Compare it to the spells at those higher levels.

ad_hoc

(they/them)

Also, if you're playing with feats (as most tables do IMX), Paladins can get their CON saves higher than anyone. Resilient (CON) and the Aura often results in auto-saving vs. DC 10 and pretty easy saves in most cases otherwise.

You'd put it as A then?

It does get better after level 5 when 2 attacks are available.

Remove ads