• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rap and Hip-Hop at the game table?

evildm

Explorer
ArthurQ said:
Today rap and hip/hop is one huge euphamism for hate, abuse of women, and sex (well not that music isinst almost always about sex, its just negative sex here), violence, etc etc.

Rap is not music. Its just hate and greed that happens to rhyme.

While this is entirely your opinion, and I respect that, I'm just curious what your opinion on this stuff would be (check out the audio and video under Show & Tell): http://www.buck65.com

It strikes me as being somewhat removed from the whole hate stuff.

Zoatebix

Working on it
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

If anyone's going to be in the DC area...

April 18th, at the 9:30 Club:

Quannum World 2004 Presents:

Blackalicious
DJ D-Sharp
DJ Shadow
The Gift of Gab
Joyo Velarde
Latyrx
Lateef the Truth Speaker
Lifesavas
Lyrics Born

$25.00

Wow. Just, wow.

And bump to this thread I say!
-z

Mirth

Explorer
Zoatebix said:
If anyone's going to be in the DC area...

April 18th, at the 9:30 Club:

Quannum World 2004 Presents:

Blackalicious
DJ D-Sharp
DJ Shadow
The Gift of Gab
Joyo Velarde
Latyrx
Lateef the Truth Speaker
Lifesavas
Lyrics Born

$25.00

Wow. Just, wow.

And bump to this thread I say!
-z

Dammit! I'm gonna be there a weekend too early, for Easter. At least Jurassic 5 is coming to my town...

Djeta Thernadier

First Post
ShinHakkaider said:
Wow.

Hip-Hop is a predominately black art form and we all know that parents (especially parents off impressionable white children) don't want negroes in their childrens heads or in thier homes unless theyre the help. Trust me on that one. To those parents metal may be noise but at least it's not darkie Jungle noise.

Responsible parents, both black & white (and any other color or ethnicity you can think of) do not want their kids listening to rap MAINLY because the rap that is on top 40 radio is laced with violence, sexism, drug use and the glorifying and rewarding of bad behavior.

It has nothing to do with the color of the skin of the person behind the mic. (last time I check , Emeinem was a white guy, as were the guys in Limp Bizkit, whom isn't really rap but IMO, falls into the category of top 40 music that annoys me)

These same parents (of all colors) have no problems with black (or white) r&b soul singers, or rap that is peaceful and not filled with vulgarity.

I don't HATE all rap. I love some of it. I love r&b. It's what I grew up with. It's how I learned to sing.

But the top 40 type rap (Ludacris, Jay-Z, Eminem etc.) is just ridiculous. I don't care if it has a good beat, when some guy is talking about how terrible his street life is, and glorifying the degradation of women and the joys of shooting people and smoking crack, then yeah...I have a problem with it and if I had kids I would not want them listening to it. Particularly because these guys are all making more $$ then anyone I know will ever see and it's basically, them being rewarded for this awful behavior.

MTV (which by the way, is not forced on anyone...you CAN change the channel you know) only adds to this by pushing the message that's it's cool to be a gangsta.

Well, IRL, it's not cool.

You have no idea how many guy (& girls) I see come in here (my office) looking for work who talk & dress in a hip hop style and expect to be taken seriously. No one takes them seriously because they are acting like teens (no offense to the teens). I work with one woman (who, by the way is not black) in particular, who , at age 24 has her entire cubicle plastered with pictures of 50 Cent and uses hip hop slang often in conversations with our customers.

I don't really recall any genre (aside from perhaps early rock and roll) having such an impact on the behavior of a generation. Many genres did impact, but I can't think of one that had such a frightening deep impact in a negative way.

I'd encourage my kids, if they wanted to listen to hip hop, to listen to less graphic hip hop (there's plenty of it out there) and every other style of music. Color has nothing to do with it.

I think it's an insult to the generations of truly gifted black artists who have made amazing contributions to the musical world to immediately say "rap" is THE black music and anyone who has a serious problem with the content of rap is a racist. Would you say that a black parent who didn't want her daughter listening to Lil Kim was a racist? Cause I know a black woman who doesn't let her daughter listen to any rap. And I know she is not alone.

And I think it's an insult to me (and those who agree with me) that whenever we voice our concerns over the content of this "music" we are met with calls of racism and not understanding urban life.

Sorry, I know this is way off topic, but this comment really irked me. :\

Aeolius

Adventurer
I put rap music in the same category as most country music. It's message isn't written for me and I can't understand a darned thing their saying. Granted, that definition fits anything Creed puts out...stop mumbling and use words, man. But I digress. For me, the music with the most power is New Age and 80s New Wave.

Whenever I am stopped at a traffic signal and a car pulls up to me, it's driver blaring some unintelligible bass beat audible fifty yards away, I automatically assume that driver to have the IQ of a dead hermit crab. In ten years that entire generation will be deaf, I reassure myself, and the world will be quiet once more. Then, in retaliation, I roll down my windows and select my favorite song, Popcorn by Hot Butter (1972), on my iPod.

Regardless of genre, music with violent lyrics belongs in the same place as video games with guns - in the trash.

Djeta Thernadier

First Post
Aeolius said:
Regardless of genre, music with violent lyrics belongs in the same place as video games with guns - in the trash.

I think the difference is the video games don't feature real people. Most people know that video game characters are not real. Violent music (and rap esp. seems to promote an entire lifestyle. And that's no good.) This features real people and there are alot of idiots out there who don't know that it's not "real".

Remove ads