D&D 5E Ravenloft Previews of Dementlieu, Lamordia, and Har'Akir

WotC has been sprinkling previews of individual Ravenloft domains to various websites -- including Dementlieu, Lamordia, and Har'Akir.

WotC has been sprinkling previews of individual Ravenloft domains to various websites -- including Dementlieu, Lamordia, and Har'Akir. Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft is only a couple of weeks away, coming out on May 18th!

dementlieu.jpg

Dementlieu
  • Forbes takes a look Dementlieu, which has inspirations like Cinderella, The Masque of the Red Death, and Dark City. "Dementlieu is one of over 30 domains of dread detailed in the book. It’s a sharp contrast to Barovia’s dark forest and looming Gothic castle on a hill. Instead it’s covered in a glamorous sheen of fine clothes and fancy parties. Everyone is dying to be invited to the Grand Masquerade held by Duchess Saidra d’Honaire every week on her private island. And, in many cases, killed if they are discovered at the ball if they’re not supposed to be there."
  • Syfy Wire looks at Lamordia, inspired by Frankenstein. "Many of the Domains of Dread are inspired by some horror tale or piece of creepy folklore, and Lamordia definitely has its roots in Frankenstein. But while the Domain is inspired by that classic horror story, its elements are then shot through the lens of D&D adventures and explored to dozens of horrific extremes. Mordenheim's land isn't just about resurrection gone awry, it's also the Domain for all different types of science gone wrong, bizarre experiments, body horror weirdness, and grim tales of society versus a frigid land. Just as there's more to Frankenstein than a scientist who abandoned his child, there's more to Lamordia than stitches and semi-dead flesh."
  • Polygon has Har'Akir, an Egyptian-themed domain. "Why is there a Domain that is a desert that is riddled with these ancient, inexplicable haunted monuments and ruined pyramids? How does a Domain like that exist? How does it make sense? To an extent it doesn’t, and it’s going to be the players that come and explore that, who are some of the only people that realize that the entirety of the domain is, to an extent, gaslighting them."
ank.png

Ankhetop, darklord of Har'Akir

Stormonu

Legend
More than anything, looking back at the old Ravenloft domains, some of them were flat boring - and I'm glad they are taking another look at freshening them up and making them more likely to adventure in. As much as I love the idea of the realm of Ravenloft, there was a reason I never ended up running more than I6 and Night of the Walking Dead (well, a lot of not using the other modules was due to the "kill the PCs in the opening chapter, and then get on with the real adventure"). Prior to now, I would have never considered running an adventure in Dementiliu - but I would now. Same for several of the other realms I would have passed over previous - they didn't interest me until I saw what they did with the revision.

Retreater

Legend
Not to mention there is an issue with one country telling another country how to handle things within their own borders. I'm sure the U.S. would have strong words if Egypt demanded we preserve parts of our country for "the good of mankind".

Not that I have a solution to this, of course. It's just a problem.
Do you know about UNESCO World Heritage Sites? They literally do this to nations all over the world.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
This is a catch 22: which version would annoy the most people:

1. A new Ravenloft book that features no or few classic domains but makes new werewolf/mummy/Frankenstein domains while ignoring the old ones.

2. Release the classic setting with no lore updates, splitting the reaction between those who feel they can just use their old books and those outraged by the various issues the old setting had going unaddressed.

3. Release a new version of the setting that takes many elements of the classic setting but reinvents them for more modern audience, with various changes ranging from none to total overhaul.

4. Realize the only winning move is not too play; begin only making Pachinko machines.

This is a catch 22: which version would annoy the most people:

1. A new Ravenloft book that features no or few classic domains but makes new werewolf/mummy/Frankenstein domains while ignoring the old ones.

2. Release the classic setting with no lore updates, splitting the reaction between those who feel they can just use their old books and those outraged by the various issues the old setting had going unaddressed.

3. Release a new version of the setting that takes many elements of the classic setting but reinvents them for more modern audience, with various changes ranging from none to total overhaul.

4. Realize the only winning move is not too play; begin only making Pachinko machines.
I know it's not an easy decision, but I'm still voting for option 1. It lets them tell the story they want to tell in the way they want to tell it, without pretending the past wasn't a different place from the present. As someone posted above (and I paraphrase), if you're going to rewrite history to make the new narrative work in the old story, why tell the old story at all? The only part of the old Ravenloft they actually need for this book is the concept of domains and darklords. Everything else they could have and should have made up on their own. While it seems that many internet-following folks like this new direction (and there are many interesting ideas), I suspect that there are a fair number of D&D players who know something about Ravenloft, don't follow every preview, who will buy this book, expecting it to be a 5e update in the vein of the Realms or Eberron, and be surprised. Some of them, unpleasantly so.

Do you know about UNESCO World Heritage Sites? They literally do this to nations all over the world.
I am well aware - but does that make it right? I understand there's a controversy about people wanting to further develop Machu Picchu in a way that might damage the site - but why don't people have the right to run their country the way they want?

But that's enough of a threadjack.

Remathilis

Legend
I know it's not an easy decision, but I'm still voting for option 1. It lets them tell the story they want to tell in the way they want to tell it, without pretending the past wasn't a different place from the present. As someone posted above (and I paraphrase), if you're going to rewrite history to make the new narrative work in the old story, why tell the old story at all? The only part of the old Ravenloft they actually need for this book is the concept of domains and darklords. Everything else they could have and should have made up on their own. While it seems that many internet-following folks like this new direction (and there are many interesting ideas), I suspect that there are a fair number of D&D players who know something about Ravenloft, don't follow every preview, who will buy this book, expecting it to be a 5e update in the vein of the Realms or Eberron, and be surprised. Some of them, unpleasantly so.
It would be like making the Eberron setting book and then having it be only about Sarlona; yeah that's a part of Eberron but everyone knows the main part of the setting is Khorvaire and the dragonmark houses and Last War. This is no different. You put a book with a dozen new domains in it and people are going to ask "where is Lamordia? Where is Tepest? Where is Darkon?" What do those Domains look like now?

I imagine this is going to be the new normal for D&D going forward. It's a change in design goals and style. I warned everyone that 4e Dark Sun was how those eclectic settings were going to update to modern D&D and to prepare for it, and Ravenloft is a good example of how they will reinvent settings to match the modern game. Ultimately, the setting serves the game and not vice versa.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
It would be like making the Eberron setting book and then having it be only about Sarlona; yeah that's a part of Eberron but everyone knows the main part of the setting is Khorvaire and the dragonmark houses and Last War. This is no different. You put a book with a dozen new domains in it and people are going to ask "where is Lamordia? Where is Tepest? Where is Darkon?" What do those Domains look like now?

I imagine this is going to be the new normal for D&D going forward. It's a change in design goals and style. I warned everyone that 4e Dark Sun was how those eclectic settings were going to update to modern D&D and to prepare for it, and Ravenloft is a good example of how they will reinvent settings to match the modern game. Ultimately, the setting serves the game and not vice versa.
Then again I ask: why use Ravenloft at all if you're going to "reinvent" it so completely? The only reason I can see is crass name recognition to get more people to buy it, and that's not a good enough reason for me. I agree that this is the direction D&D seems to be going, I would just rather they build on the old lore rather than reanimate it's IP and put it in a new body. They seem embarrassed by their past but unwilling to give up the financial benefits that come from using the old names.

Reynard

Legend
Unless they decide to do a search for lore and discover that the way it used to be is very different from the way it is now.
And why would that bother someone that doesn't have any nostalgia for the property in the first place? It's just an interesting factoid. "Wait, in the comics The Scarlet Witch was Magneto's kid? Crazy!" At most it drives the individual to explore further.

This idea that we are doing a disservice to the new fans by not giving them pure, unaltered versions of the past is just silly.

Dear Wotc: Please, please, please do not listen to any of us Gen-Xers and Boomers. Maker something that the Millenials love and can grouse about when it evolves for whatever comes after the Zoomers.

Remathilis

Legend
Then again I ask: why use Ravenloft at all if you're going to "reinvent" it so completely? The only reason I can see is crass name recognition to get more people to buy it, and that's not a good enough reason for me. I agree that this is the direction D&D seems to be going, I would just rather they build on the old lore rather than reanimate it's IP and put it in a new body. They seem embarrassed by their past but unwilling to give up the financial benefits that come from using the old names.
They are building on the good vibes they got off Curse of Strahd and the desire for "more" stuff like it. Could they have forgotten about Ravenloft except for a revision of I6 every edition? Sure. Hell, Innistrad is RIGHT THERE and if getting a new card release this year. However, thru must feel there is enough power in the name and concept of Ravenloft to warrant using it, even if the details don't match 100% to the version last printed in 1997.

The perfect being the enemy of the good is what will kill future Greyhawk, Dragonlance and Dark Sun releases. Adapt or be consigned to the dustbin as WotC releases yet another MTG setting...

Remove ads

Remove ads