D&D 5E RAW weapon question

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I think the important thing is to be fair to different characters/players.

You can't be picky on a player who wants her character to switch weapons during combat, and then totally handwave it for a cleric who wants to use a weapon, a shield, and a focus in the same round. You are either picky on everyone, or go easy on everyone.

Yes

There are also balance issues at play. A character who has a two handed weapon has a free hand to do stuff (you can't *swing* the great axe with only one hand, but you can hold it with one hand momentarily while your other hand does something). Handwaving the "hand economy" (pun intended) affects balance of different fighting styles and weapons.

Oofta

Legend
I think the important thing is to be fair to different characters/players.

You can't be picky on a player who wants her character to switch weapons during combat, and then totally handwave it for a cleric who wants to use a weapon, a shield, and a focus in the same round. You are either picky on everyone, or go easy on everyone.

FYI, clerics/paladins have the holy symbol on their shield. Basic Rules page 49 under Holy Symbol:

A cleric or paladin can use a holy symbol
as a spellcasting focus, as described in chapter 10. To use
the symbol in this way, the caster must hold it in hand,
wear it visibly, or bear it on a shield.​

But I agree that you should be consistent. Either make people take an action to take off a shield before switching to the bow or climbing for example or just let it go. Either way it's not going to make too much of a difference as long as you're not playing favorites.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
FYI, clerics/paladins have the holy symbol on their shield. Basic Rules page 49 under Holy Symbol:

A cleric or paladin can use a holy symbol
as a spellcasting focus, as described in chapter 10. To use
the symbol in this way, the caster must hold it in hand,
wear it visibly, or bear it on a shield.​

But I agree that you should be consistent. Either make people take an action to take off a shield before switching to the bow or climbing for example or just let it go. Either way it's not going to make too much of a difference as long as you're not playing favorites.
But what about other spellcasters like say, the eldrich knight?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using EN World mobile app

cooperjer

Explorer
I tend to allow my PCs to drop weapons and not consume any of the actions available to them. I believe the drawing of ammunition is part of the attack. Drawing a weapon requires an object interaction or action if the character already used their object interaction. Some interesting things that have come up in play are:

1) Picking up a weapon. This is generally considered an object interaction; however, if the character is picking up a weapon and maintaining some form of awareness of their environment in a cautious way, i.e. in combat and picking up a weapon near an enemy, then I've said it requires an action. I stole this idea from Mike Mearls.

2) Opening and closing a door. Opening a door requires an object interaction. Closing a door requires an object interaction. I've had Duergar turn invisible as an action and run from combat through a door. They used an action already to turn invisible and an object interaction to open the door to the room. They can't close the door behind them because they are out of actions.

Remove ads