D&D Movie/TV Rawson Thurber will write and direct the D&D TV Series!

aco175

Legend
That TV ad a couple years ago showed good stuff. Here is the YouTube link.
1643771331555.png

I would think someone could do at least this good.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
That’s really cool. I hope it turns out well. Any links to the 80s cartoon would be awesome.

But this is helmed / written by someone I’ve never heard of on a channel / for a media company I’ve also never heard of. Cannot say that fills me with hope.

I read TV-Tropes saying that classic 80's cartoon today is copyright by Disney, and the old D&D comics from the 80's by DC.

I guess CGI is easier to be produced than action-live action, and here the true goal is to promote the brand as a multimedia franchise. Ravenloft is perfect for an action-live horror movie for no fandom audence.

Forgotten Realms is the blue-eyed boy of D&D but not all eggs should be only in one basket. There are space for Greyhawk and others settings, even they can allow themself higher risks with lesser known settings.

And let's rebember a good story is really important for the success of the production.

That’s really cool. I hope it turns out well. Any links to the 80s cartoon would be awesome.

But this is helmed / written by someone I’ve never heard of on a channel / for a media company I’ve also never heard of. Cannot say that fills me with hope.

Eone is a production company, not a channel, they will likely make a deal with Netflix or Amazon for distribution, I don't see CBSViacom, Peacock, HBOmax, or Stars being able to out bid Netflix or Amazon Prime on this. A few regional players like Bell Media here in Canada might out bid them for rights in particular countries outside the US.

I read TV-Tropes saying that classic 80's cartoon today is copyright by Disney, and the old D&D comics from the 80's by DC.

I guess CGI is easier to be produced than action-live action, and here the true goal is to promote the brand as a multimedia franchise. Ravenloft is perfect for an action-live horror movie for no fandom audence.

Forgotten Realms is the blue-eyed boy of D&D but not all eggs should be only in one basket. There are space for Greyhawk and others settings, even they can allow themself higher risks with lesser known settings.

And let's rebember a good story is really important for the success of the production.

I suspect the show will have reference to elements of the show, not be alive action version, kind of like how Witchlight has reference to the cartoon show.

DC and Disney have distrubution rights for the Comic and Cartoon respectively, but WotC has access to the lore. It's akin to how Harper Collins now publishes the Drizzt novels, but the 5.5e FRCG will still refer to stuff in those books, because WotC still owns the rights to the IP itself.

Remove ads