D&D Movie/TV Rawson Thurber will write and direct the D&D TV Series!

Red Notice makes me a bit concerned about this. It's okay, but if it didn't have three incredibly-reliable stars who are basically playing "their characters" (grumpy, honest Rock, snarky, vulnerable Reynolds, and smart, eyebrow-waggling Gadot), like if any of them weren't there, it'd have actually sucked. And it felt a bit "5 years ago" too.

I'm a bit disappointed they're going with this, not with the proposed Underdark show. I strongly suspect in a couple of years we're going to be saying "This D&D show is okay, but it's basically just an inferior, live-action version of the Vox Machina show".

Maybe with more characters and more time he'll do better though.

I think people are reading too much into the cartoon connection, but weirdly enough, I think dropping a few 2020s kids into a fantasy world could actually work as a show these days, given the success of Jumanji and so on.

Nebulous

Legend
Cautiously optimistic.

He directed Dodgeball - which was great.

But he also directed Red Notice which, despite the stellar cast and big budget, I found deeply, deeply stupid.

Still, he certainly has the skillset and chops to do this AND he seems to actually be a fan.

Fingers crossed.
Exactly my thoughts. Dodgeball is without doubt a classic comedy and worth rewatching again and again. Red Notice, while well made, was crap. And not funny. I like Ryan Reynolds ok, but his style of humor, for me at this point, I want him relegated to Deadpool for the rest of his career and nothing else.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
That’s really cool. I hope it turns out well. Any links to the 80s cartoon would be awesome.

But this is helmed / written by someone I’ve never heard of on a channel / for a media company I’ve also never heard of. Cannot say that fills me with hope.
Well it's helmed by someone with a pretty decent reputation.
There is no channel mentioned. The media company is mostly just a content acquisition company which I think Hasbro bought. So essentially that's not news itself. Basically we have no information on who is actually going to be the company making this, yet.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
eOne is the media company that Hasbro bought a few years ago. So this is being produced in-house, and most likely, will be distributed by someone else.
Likely not even exclusive production. eOne will be a producer on this, but they mostly purchase their productions along with another production company. So whatever this ends up being will likely have a headline production company of something else, like "Netflix Studios" and a "In association with eOne" or something like that. This is basically the first step. An announcement of "We're serious, we're spending money on this, and here is the guy heading it up."

Nebulous

Legend
I think people are reading too much into the cartoon connection, but weirdly enough, I think dropping a few 2020s kids into a fantasy world could actually work as a show these days, given the success of Jumanji and so on.
I would love if they took that same concept of the 1980s cartoon and updated it. I would also like to see different styles of cartoons. I posted elsewhere a trailer for Spine of the Night, which uses gritty rotosoping. I would love to see an R rated mature D&D show approach like this.

Red Notice makes me a bit concerned about this. It's okay, but if it didn't have three incredibly-reliable stars who are basically playing "their characters" (grumpy, honest Rock, snarky, vulnerable Reynolds, and smart, eyebrow-waggling Gadot), like if any of them weren't there, it'd have actually sucked. And it felt a bit "5 years ago" too.

I'm a bit disappointed they're going with this, not with the proposed Underdark show. I strongly suspect in a couple of years we're going to be saying "This D&D show is okay, but it's basically just an inferior, live-action version of the Vox Machina show".

Maybe with more characters and more time he'll do better though.

They are calling this show the "Flagship" for a reason, it doesn't mean the Underdark show isn't happening too, ever Flagship needs its fleet (other shows in this case). Think of this Flagship series as Arrow and the Underdark series as the Flash, but D&D. Or in Star Trek terms Flagship is TNG and Underdark (placeholder names) is DS9 or Voyager.

Btw what do you mean its so 5 years ago?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases